Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hot Pixel confirmation from PentaxUSA and firmware fix, too.

Sorry if this is old news.

PentaxLife

as of today, it is at the top of the news feed there. later on it might fall lower, but that is not a really fast moving site anyway.

mitch

06-16-2008, 03:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Firmware released:

Latest K20D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX
07-25-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hot Pixels on other Pentax Cameras..

I only have the K100D Super, but tonight I just noticed 2 hot pixels appearing in my image files.

My apologies if this has been discussed in another thread, but... How can I go about remapping them? I had an old Nikon Coolpix that had them, but I never got up the stones to remap the sensor, for fear of screwing something up.

Can anyone point me towards the right solution?

Bryan
07-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wormtown: only the k20d has built-in support for hotpixel mapping. For the other cameras, you have to send them in to Pentax to get this done...

07-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

what are hot pixels, how do you map 'em and why?

This is something I know little about. Not sure I want to know (sort of like asking what is in your sausage) but I guess I'll ask anyway: What's a hot pixel? Why should I care? Do I need to map 'em? How do I know if I've got one (or more than one)?

I have been shooting with the K20D for many months, shot thousands of images now, and have looked at a lot of them pretty closely. I don't notice any obvious blank spots - white or black - but as I'm trying to make clear by this question, I don't really know what to look for.

Have NOT upgraded the firmware on the K20D yet for fear it will cause something to break (like my ability to process photos in Lightroom 2b).... Am I being unnecessarily timid?

Thanks in advance,

Will
07-26-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Will: try this link:
Hot Pixels

I think the main thing is if you don't see it, don't worry about it. I haven't seen it on my K10D yet either. If you do get the "bright star" effect, it is as annoying as having dust on the sensor though...had one on an LCD monitor that drove me nuts :-)

If I understand the dpreview K20D review correctly, the problem is the hot pixels are random so you can't map out the oversensitive sensors w/ charge leakage. The firmware change fixed the most obvious ones (probably by limiting how much neighboring pixels can change in color) so you should barely notice it if you did before.
07-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks, kenyee. Interesting link. I am going to take your advice and not worry about it until I notice something.

So, head back into the (cool) sand!

Will
07-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Stuck rather than hot

Correction,... I meant to say several stuck pixels rather than hot. They are green and consistently in the same locations.

What does dust on the sensor produce, dark spots in a light image?

07-26-2008, 09:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wormtown Quote
What does dust on the sensor produce, dark spots in a light image?
Ah, THIS problem I do know a little about. Yes, that's about right, although it depends on the dust. Sometimes if the dust is sort of stringy you'll see something that looks like a snail crawled around on the photo - sort of a squiggle shaped like a C or an S. But other times a speck of dust will simply produce a darker blurred spot on the photo. It won't usually be visible in the part of the photo that has the most detail, unless you look REALLY closely. I have noticed dust spots mostly in the sky.

I'm happy to report that if you take care when changing lenses, you can minimize your risk of getting dust on the sensor. And the K20D's dust minimization system does seem to work pretty well. I don't think I've noticed any dust on my K20D sensor in the last several months.

Will
07-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Inactive Account

K200d

Does the K200d have this dame feature, remapping, that the k20 does?
07-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wormtown Quote
Does the K200d have this [s]ame feature, remapping, that the k20 does?
Yes. You can confirm this on page 216 in the user manual you can find at PENTAX .

If you have an older model, Pentax service will map out hot pixels for free under warranty if you send the camera to them.