Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #106
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
or it is something Adobe is doing to the EXIF.
Now why would Adobe do something like that

After all, Adobe is our friend!

Steve

07-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
There are people who claim to have over had over 500 images accepted to PPG. Maybe they aren't being honest, but a 5 images a week that's 5 images a week every week for over 2 years.

Its more of a quantity over quality website.
Yep, although it used to be the other way around, before the votes.
07-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #108
IOO
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
There are people who claim to have over had over 500 images accepted to PPG. Maybe they aren't being honest, but a 5 images a week that's 5 images a week every week for over 2 years.

I have 413 approved photos in the gallery from spring 2012 until now. I have at least 2 photos in each of the 16 different categories you can upload. The first months I concentrated of having all categories covered before I started to upload images from my most used motives. So from september 2012 I have uploaded 5 photos every week. Sometimes all five where approved, some times all five where declined. At the worst I had 45 photos pending, at the moment only 30. I complained to the gallery that somebody obviously was cheating, since they had more than 5 in a row accepted. Wich is impossible. The answer I got was that the photographer had 75 photos pending. At that moment I myself had 45. He of course couldn't have more than me, so I wrote back and complained. I got no answer. One can of course discuss weather it is quantity over quality, but IMHO it is not so that every photo is approved.

The featured artists was picked among ordinary photograpers, but the latest Allen Birnbach was set there by the administrators. No one could have voted on all the pictures from the new K3 so soon after it was relased, and besides in "Recently added" at that time, he had all the pictures lined up, without any other in between, and it was more than 5. I also wrote to the gally and said that I understood, the advertaising point, but they could have camoflaged it a little bit better.

I can't upload again before Sunday, so I know nothing about problems that the system don't recoknize K3, ot other cameraes.
07-22-2015, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #109
Loyal Site Supporter

Even five photos a week is probably way too many for most photographers. If you go out shooting, odds are you will come back with quite a few photos, but many of them will be the same. Better to force the photographer to choose carefully what photos are submitted. I haven't submitted any for awhile, but I had gotten 14 out of my last 16 images accepted. They were OK images, but looking back on them, many were not at the level that they should have been a part of an online gallery.

07-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #110
Site Supporter

This is the reply to my inquiry...

QuoteQuote:
Hi Ben,

The problem you have is a known issue for Lightroom 6 files. Lightroom 6 files contain more metadata info than Lightroom 5 files. When you upload images created by Lightroom 6, the website is not reading the correct field. It is a Lightroom 6 bug. The solution is to modify the Exif data before you upload the image. We installed a software from the app store named Photo Meta Edit ($3.99) on our mac. If you use PC, I'm sure there are software you may use for editing exif data. Open the file in Photo Meta Edit, look for the line with the tag name "Orientation". Right click on that line and choose "delete". Then, save the file. You should be able to upload your image after that.

The second option is to resave the file in photoshop without meta data and then enter the metadata when you upload the image.

Give it a try and let us know how it goes. Thank you for using pentaxphotogallery.com.

Webmaster
pentaxphotogallery.com
I'm pretty sure this was covered in another thread when lightroom cc first came out. I can do it with ExifTool for free.

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-22-2015 at 04:57 PM.
07-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #111
mee
Site Supporter

You can probably do it by right clicking on the image, going to Properties, going to the Details tab, and cilcking on 'Remove Properties and Personal Information' at the bottom of the screen.
07-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #112
Site Supporter

As little as I upload I can just do this...

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-07-22 at 8.33.45 PM.png
Views: 608
Size:  98.8 KB
07-23-2015, 04:18 AM   #113
IOO
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Even five photos a week is probably way too many for most photographers. If you go out shooting, odds are you will come back with quite a few photos, but many of them will be the same. Better to force the photographer to choose carefully what photos are submitted. I haven't submitted any for awhile, but I had gotten 14 out of my last 16 images accepted. They were OK images, but looking back on them, many were not at the level that they should have been a part of an online gallery.
It depends of how skilled you are, and how many photos you shoot each time. And how many from your arcive you can chose from. I just found out that from this week just one of my five photos were approved. And I can agree that maybe just one was justifying to be approved. If you think your photos don't deserve to be approved, just go and delete them afterwards.

The gallery has also 6 collections of pictures, like fall, winter and premiere. In premiere, and the five others, it was somebody who picked out the very best from the gallery. Unfortunately there has been no new pictures in premiere since Allen Birnbach 3 photos almost two years ago.

The gallery was started in 2007, se this: Pentax Photo Gallery (dot com): Digital Photography Review . So if you have been a member since 2007, 500 photos is not that hard.
See also this one: PENTAX - PENTAX PHOTO GALLERY NOMINATED FOR WEBBY AWARD

07-23-2015, 05:33 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IOO Quote
The gallery was started in 2007, se this: Pentax Photo Gallery (dot com): Digital Photography Review . So if you have been a member since 2007, 500 photos is not that hard.
According to the article the Gallery was launched in Aug 2007. The final merger offer from Hoya was tendered at the beginning of the month and the merger completed by the end of Aug 2007. So most likely the Gallery was conceived, designed and implemented by Pentax and not Hoya.
08-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #115
Pentaxian

I'll be honest. I agree it got too easy to have images accepted, It got to a stage where my rejection rate was 1 or 2%. I have 775 images in there but I haven't submitted any for a good couple of years or more as Pentax basically gave up on it. I stopped submitting when the they closed the Premiere Collection to new entries, which really was the goal for submission.

It was a great idea. I really can't understand why they gave up. Its successor gallery in Europe is very much inferior. There is no longer a worldwide hub of quality Pentax images. I just don't get it.
08-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #116

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
I'll be honest. I agree it got too easy to have images accepted, It got to a stage where my rejection rate was 1 or 2%. I have 775 images in there but I haven't submitted any for a good couple of years or more as Pentax basically gave up on it. I stopped submitting when the they closed the Premiere Collection to new entries, which really was the goal for submission.

It was a great idea. I really can't understand why they gave up. Its successor gallery in Europe is very much inferior. There is no longer a worldwide hub of quality Pentax images. I just don't get it.
Neither do I.

The redesign a few years ago was necessary - the gallery was technologically outdated. I was (professionally) curious what they wanted to do with the new gallery. They obviously went for quantity. You can certainly argue for not doing something elitist. However, then the natural thing is to focus on social aspects, making it a community where users could comment - engage. Nothing happened and recently we were confirmed they actually forgot about the damn thing when the domain expired.

It is typical of their effort - they throw some into making a gallery, then forget about it. They hire a photographer to take some photos to use, then nothing happens again. They launch a monthly contest, then you don't hear anything more about. I think they seriously lack funds to back initiatives OR they are old school marketers, who don't get the new stuff.

This will sound arrogant: I am confident I could get 5 photos approved every week for a few years. But why would I? I can put it on my own domain or I can aim for one of the reputed galleries out there - 500px, 1x.com etc., which will bring much more exposure.
08-12-2015, 12:38 AM   #117
Site Supporter

A looser decision, indeed.
08-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #118
IOO
Forum Member

I have now seen through all your pictures in the gallery, and I think that all of them deserves to be approved. You certanly got "The photographers eye", and I'm impressed by the quality of the pictures, and I think you are to modest if you mean that some of them don't deserve to be there.

Let's hope they understand the value of the gallery, and continue with what they started with in the beginning.
08-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #119
Pentaxian

Thank you IOO but I am a much better photographer than I was back then and I disagree with you. The real pity though is that it was a really good idea that did not continue. In addition to the gallery revamp the system basically became automated, I am 99% sure that approvals used to have to be approved by real people but the system became automated (the timing of when images were accepted confirms that). The comment about hired photographers' images being fast tracked into the Premiere Collection is entirely valid. Allen Birnbach's image is very good and deserves to be there but it was a commission and it was there to promote the K3. There are other images from the like of Kerrick James which are for marketing and quite frankly not there on merit (eg: 'Welcome to Clarksville).

I really thought the Premiere Collection was quite something when I started on my Pentax outing, I found it quite awe inspiring and something to aspire to. It is now defunct. Why, why. why???????????????? It is too late now. Pentax needs to showcase excellent images to demonstrate its advantages over the big name rivals. And yet it no longer does. Nuts.

Adam, what's the word on the street?
08-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #120
IOO
Forum Member

Thank you IOO but I am a much better photographer than I was back then and I disagree with you. The real pity though is that it was a really good idea that did not continue. In addition to the gallery revamp the system basically became automated, I am 99% sure that approvals used to have to be approved by real people but the system became automated (the timing of when images were accepted confirms that). The comment about hired photographers' images being fast tracked into the Premiere Collection is entirely valid. Allen Birnbach's image is very good and deserves to be there but it was a commission and it was there to promote the K3. There are other images from the like of Kerrick James which are for marketing and quite frankly not there on merit (eg: 'Welcome to Clarksville).

I really thought the Premiere Collection was quite something when I started on my Pentax outing, I found it quite awe inspiring and something to aspire to. It is now defunct. Why, why. why???????????????? It is too late now. Pentax needs to showcase excellent images to demonstrate its advantages over the big name rivals. And yet it no longer does. Nuts.

Adam, what's the word on the street?
Well, if you are even better now, I'd like to see more of your pictures. Send me a private link to your website!

I don't agree that it is automated. The reason is that the time it takes to get the pictures approved, varies. When I started more than 3 years ago, it took less than a week before the result war clear. There where fewer mebers, and more eager members to vote. I myself voted so often that I had to wait, there where no more pictures to vote on!

Then it took gradually longer and longer time, so I had up to 45 pictures pending. Then it speeded up, so it was down to "just" 20 pending. At the moment it is 35* pictures pendig. Sometimes it takes hours from the first to the last picture to be approved. (*If you upload five new every week at the same time.)

PS: You are a better photorgraher than Kerrick James !

Last edited by IOO; 08-12-2015 at 03:25 PM.