Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I disagree. Pictures only used to be accepted during normal US working hours - for example never over a weekend. Following the revamp pictures were admitted at any time, day or night, work day, weekend or holiday. That to me confirms the human element was taken away. Premiere Collection images were clearly a panel decision and after revamp simply just stopped, as did other collections which would have required intervention. Pentax hired an external consultant to redesign the site and quite frankly they made a pig's breakfast of it - the initial relaunch was a comedy of errors. It was made better only by user feedback pointing out the ridiculous errors. But it is too late to worry about now, it has been abandoned, tumbleweed. I am working on a website.

08-12-2015, 03:53 PM   #122
IOO
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr Orloff Quote
I disagree. Pictures only used to be accepted during normal US working hours - for example never over a weekend. Following the revamp pictures were admitted at any time, day or night, work day, weekend or holiday. That to me confirms the human element was taken away. Premiere Collection images were clearly a panel decision and after revamp simply just stopped, as did other collections which would have required intervention. Pentax hired an external consultant to redesign the site and quite frankly they made a pig's breakfast of it - the initial relaunch was a comedy of errors. It was made better only by user feedback pointing out the ridiculous errors. But it is too late to worry about now, it has been abandoned, tumbleweed. I am working on a website.
I disagree. Pictures are apprpoved at any time of the day, any day of the week. When I know there is a chance that my pictures are close to be approved, or not, I sometimes follow the procedure minute by minute! So there is no signs of automated approved pictures in that matter.

Otherwise I agree concerning the "Premiere Collection" and other collections that where superviced by a person/jury. But "Thumb up - or down" still counts for "just beeing approved."

Looing forward to see your website.
08-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #123
Pentaxian

Well how can pictures approved at any time unless by some algorithm? They didn't used to be, doesn't that tell you something? What happens after thumb up or down is automated. My guess is that after a certain voting approval then images went for final scrutiny before a judge/ panel thereof whereas now it is now just automated based on voting patterns. The revamp contained many errors. What users cannot verify is the integrity of the voting process. There is no way to audit it. Since the rest of the site implementation was flawed then it stands to reason that the voting could be too. Just one example of the stupidity of the consultants; an image was uploaded to a category - landscape, portrait for example. The reaction of the consultants to there no longer being a 'recently added' category of images to browse was to include this as a genre of image. ie: when uploading an image you had to decide if the genre was 'landscape', 'portrait' or 'recently added'. With that kind of intelligence do you think that the unauditable and secret approval procedures have been well implemented?
08-12-2015, 05:49 PM   #124
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
It is typical of their effort - they throw some into making a gallery, then forget about it. They hire a photographer to take some photos to use, then nothing happens again. They launch a monthly contest, then you don't hear anything more about. I think they seriously lack funds to back initiatives OR they are old school marketers, who don't get the new stuff.
It's about people, not about focus. Hoya / Bunnel actually killed them. Ricoh brought them back to life but the damage was extensive - some of it permanent loss. Pentax Denver is small - very small. They're doing better, but they can't do everything.

1. Someone in Denver is named Moderator but the actual function is not in the job description.
  2. Whoever named 'Someone' Moderator gets a job elsewhere.
  3. 'Someone' gets a job elsewhere.
  4. Whoever named 'Someone' Moderator's Replacement doesn't know about PPG Moderator function.
  5. 'Someone's replacement doesn't know about Moderator function.
  6. PPG languishes for a year or three.
  7. Crisis ensues.
  8. A friendly consumer or user brings PPG to the attention of an Executive.
  9. 'Someone New' is named Moderator.
Rinse and Repeat.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-12-2015 at 05:58 PM.
08-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #125

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It's about people, not about focus. Hoya / Bunnel actually killed them. Ricoh brought them back to life but the damage was extensive - some of it permanent loss. Pentax Denver is small - very small. They're doing better, but they can't do everything.

1. Someone in Denver is named Moderator but the actual function is not in the job description.
  2. Whoever named 'Someone' Moderator gets a job elsewhere.
  3. 'Someone' gets a job elsewhere.
  4. Whoever named 'Someone' Moderator's Replacement doesn't know about PPG Moderator function.
  5. 'Someone's replacement doesn't know about Moderator function.
  6. PPG languishes for a year or three.
  7. Crisis ensues.
  8. A friendly consumer or user brings PPG to the attention of an Executive.
  9. 'Someone New' is named Moderator.
Rinse and Repeat.
At least Bunnel faithfully kept blogging while the ship went down!

The poor guys in Denver are actually a bit unlucky because everybody in the non-japanese world is expecting THEM to do something ... anything. For once there is a catch to belong to the English/American speaking world. I must admit I find it painful to witness.

I try to look at it from the bright side: If PRIC had capacity to make tons of stuff while not being able to sell it, they WOULD do something over there in the Japanese bunker, yes? Never mind. I don't own stocks in the company.
08-13-2015, 06:35 AM   #126
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Adrian, your link to foliopic doesn't work anymore
08-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #127
Pentaxian

No I know, it expired. I'm suppoosed to be doing a website.