Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did Pentax kill pentaxphotogallery.com?

I frequently use the Pentax photo gallery, I vote on photos, see examples of great work, and occasionally post an image or two. The gallery was running this past weekend. As of today the webpage is parked by GoDaddy.com!

Is this just someone at Pentax not paying the bill or is Ricoh killing the gallery?

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 03-13-2016 at 09:15 AM.
07-20-2015, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All I get is a blank page. But I went to Ricoh's site and sent them a message asking what's going on. Have to wait and see what they respond to what's going on.
07-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Well, somebody renewed it for the next year, but since the page is blank it is somewhat likely that they let it lapse and someone else grabbed it (although they give you a grace period and godaddy agressively tries to find you when you have something about to expire) so if it lapsed it was probably intentional. Was the site actually owned/run by Pentax/Ricoh before?
07-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Was the site actually owned/run by Pentax/Ricoh before?
I thought it was. It's listed as a link on Ricoh's site, down near the bottom of the their website. And when I went there and clicked on that link, I still got a blank page.

07-20-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I thought it was. It's listed as a link on Ricoh's site, down near the bottom of the their website. And when I went there and clicked on that link, I still got a blank page.
Well, it is likely someone else has just taken over and so the domain parking page is gone but it is just going to a server with no site on it for the moment. If it had just been renewed by the owners (even late), it should have been back up like normal. So old site is probably just gone and my guess is the domain will soon be showing spam. If the site was actually very active, that's a bit strange though. But if it was not run by Pentax but by a private person, than hosting costs possibly outstripped anything they made from it (images take a lot of bandwidth).
07-20-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

godaddy still gives PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION as its registrant organisation. They let it expire
07-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as I remember, the Pentax Photo Gallery was last provided and maintained by Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation. Besides being a showcase for sometimes quite inspiring photography practiced with Pentax cameras, it was also a marketing effort, given that it included links to their cameras, lenses, and their American imaging website. Find it hard to believe that anyone at Ricoh Imaging Americas could have been too forgetful to renew the domain, so the odds are it's an intentional move.

Given the quality of the work on display there, which IMHO varied but was easily on par with other branded user galleries, and the generous space given to the actual photographs, I would hate to see it go, also because over the years I was fortunate enough to have some of my own images approved for the gallery.

Hopefully, they come up with something similar (or even better?), and find some way of migrating the existing image bank to the new venture ...

07-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A whois shows the domain registered to Pentax Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 3.13.02 PM.png
Views: 2171
Size:  169.5 KB

Also, Carolyn Hassell no longer works for the company...hasn't since 2013.

Since the contact listed in 2011 no longer works there...hopefully whoever is in charge of these things now is alerted and renews the domain.

Last edited by boriscleto; 07-20-2015 at 12:25 PM.
07-20-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Since the contact listed in 2011 no longer works there...hopefully whoever is in charge of these things now is alerted and renews the domain.

Boy, this is getting weirder by the minute! Interesting research, Ben. Let's see what will come of it ...
07-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #10
Pentaxian

That's still showing record expired yesterday, but other whois search shows expires next year (but without full info). Have to check back in a day or two to see who it belongs to now if not Ricoh...
07-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's still showing record expired yesterday, but other whois search shows expires next year (but without full info). Have to check back in a day or two to see who it belongs to now if not Ricoh...
The top of the whois search shows this...

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 4.22.58 PM.png
Views: 2264
Size:  69.9 KB

Since it is still directing to a parking page I don't think anyone has bought it yet.
07-20-2015, 01:27 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The top of the whois search shows this...

Attachment 275982

Since it is still directing to a parking page I don't think anyone has bought it yet.
But with no owner listed...
07-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But with no owner listed...
I don't think anyone owns the domain right now. July 19 2016 date is just how long GoDaddy will hold the domain AFAIK.
07-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Once Ricoh USA wakes up they will surely pay to renew the domain and regain access...if not, we can help them them out

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anyone contacted Ricoh USA? I ran across this page being down earlier today as well.