Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 30 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Hmm...we'll see. They should now be giving Ricoh the chance to renew before it goes on the market. I've let them lapse before with GoDaddy -- they start calling you beforehand warning you, telling you afterward that you have a grace period of so-and-so that you can still renew, etc. (I had to tell them specifically that I was definitely not renewing even after it technically expired.)

07-20-2015, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Maybe someone just didn't pay the Bill. No Ricoh in the name is maybe a reason to stop paying for it.
07-20-2015, 01:56 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Hmm...we'll see. They should now be giving Ricoh the chance to renew before it goes on the market. I've let them lapse before with GoDaddy -- they start calling you beforehand warning you, telling you afterward that you have a grace period of so-and-so that you can still renew, etc. (I had to tell them specifically that I was definitely not renewing even after it technically expired.)
Me too.

But as I pointed out, the contact in the whois database doesn't work for Ricoh. She works for a craft brewing company...
07-20-2015, 02:17 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Me too.

But as I pointed out, the contact in the whois database doesn't work for Ricoh. She works for a craft brewing company...
They wouldn't even use that I don't believe, or not only that anyway -- they'd call the godaddy account holder...

07-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #20
Banned

Would there still be a back-up for the entire content?
07-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
They wouldn't even use that I don't believe, or not only that anyway -- they'd call the godaddy account holder...
It may also be that the account was renewed already and just waiting for the DNS to catch up.
07-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Would there still be a back-up for the entire content?
There is no reason to think anything was lost -- this is just the matter of the name (pentaxphotogallery.com) pointing to the right server where the content resides. So the site probably still exists, just no one can see it. It is just a matter of whether Ricoh wants to let it be seen again. If they pay their bill, it should come back as it was...

07-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Indeed. If you go to 50.56.120.90 in your browser the PPG is still there and works fine.

(At least it does for me!)
07-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Indeed. If you go to 50.56.120.90 in your browser the PPG is still there and works fine.

(At least it does for me!)
This address works for me. So does this just mean that it is only a DNS issue?
07-20-2015, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #25
PDL
Pentaxian

From my machine:
>nslookup 50.56.120.90
Server: bla,bla.bla.com
Address: bla.bla.bla.bla.

Name: 50-56-120-90.pentaxphotogallery.com
Address: 50.56.120.90

Note the change from http to a buttafuccoed IP address.

I would imagine that Ricoh (US or otherwise) has pulled the plug because they can. They were using images from the gallery for use on their web site to demonstrate the capability of different images. Too bad that they have cut themselves off from what are essentially "free" advertising images.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
07-20-2015, 06:36 PM - 3 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

Pentax is DOOMED!
07-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So - has anyone emailed John Carlson or Jim Malcolm or - here's an idea - Brian McIntosh to ask what's up?
07-20-2015, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #28
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This address works for me. So does this just mean that it is only a DNS issue?
It is just the domain address (url) which is no longer pointing to the IP.. because the bill hasn't been paid for that domain haha.

---------- Post added 07-20-15 at 08:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So - has anyone emailed John Carlson or Jim Malcolm or - here's an idea - Brian McIntosh to ask what's up?
It is a little offputting that they'd even need to be contacted.. as in.. no one is upkeeping with site? Surely someone should have been getting notifications for weeks, if not months, in advance. Plus just the regular lowbie employee checking out the site... and seeing it reverting to the godaddy parked page.. should have been an instant 'oh snap' moment.

Maybe we can buy it and just point it to the Photos section here.. plenty of quality content.
07-20-2015, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #29

They are aware and working on issue.

https://twitter.com/foto_gy/status/623306426761506816
07-20-2015, 07:07 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I emailed my contact at Pentax who expressed surprise. I was told they were contacting the web team for an explanation.

If you look at the page it simply says the domain name has expired and is pending renewal. Somebody messed up, but I seriously doubt the gallery is going away. If you want to close a website you take the site offline, you don't just wait until the domain name expires. Even if RIcoh is closing out the PPG they would not want anyone else to get that domain name.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
no one is upkeeping with site? Surely someone should have been getting notifications for weeks, if not months, in advance
Quite possible the registered notification emails are no longer valid. A screw up but if the notices went to ex-employees or abandoned accounts easy to see how it slipped through. When I took over my present job I nearly lost our domain name because my predecessor had passed away and the notices were going to his personal email.