Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2015, 02:32 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did purchase one in August of this year. I basically returned it because I wanted to try the Sigma 50-500 to replace my Sigma 150-500, but the 50-500 did not function on my K-5IIS for some reason, so I ended up returning it too. Then I purchase the Pentax 16-85 to compliment my Sigma 150-500 and am satisfiied with the combination.

So, you are right, I really did have one and it was for the K series Pentax mount. It operated fine. As I mentioned before it does take nice images, but I really did not like the movement on the external part of the barrel sometimes during AF. It is not really a problem, the lens is really nice and covers a large range, but I would have liked it if it was all internal focus action.

There has been production of it obviously, and the pictures I posted are ones that I took with the lens.

Really if you are set on buying the lens, and need the best information on when it will be available for purchase, the Sigma Photo Corporation contact information is below. You can confide in them what pre-order might involve and possibly they can give you an approximate release time. If they are able to tell you a maximimum timeline, at least then if your wife ordered it for you, you would know approximately the most time you might have to wait. Supposedly, if you did pre-order, you would be one of the first to get the lens, as opposed to not pre-ordering.
I hope you and your wife have a nice Christmas, and that you get the lens you want without having to wait too long. Happy Holidays!!

Tel: 631 227-2036
Toll Free Tel: 800 896-6858
Fax: 631 585-1895
E-mail: info@sigmaphoto.com

Hours:
9:00AM – 5:00PM, M-F EST

12-11-2015, 03:54 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can't believe it's difficult for you guys to get one. Normally if I can't find it here in the Philippines I'd order it there in the US, Canada or Japan. But it's available here and I can even order it online at ebay.ph. It must be that they're not storing enough of it since the demand is low. I'd get one if this thing's WR rated.
12-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #63
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by flipster Quote
I'm a bit confused. Is the K mount version out yet, or not? I see one person saying they've actually used one, another said the release date was going to be Aug 21. Sigma's site says it's "backordered", and Amazon says you can "pre-order" it.

I was kinda psyched about this lens. I have a Tamron 28-300, but often especially when I'm out at an event I really need a wider angle. It'd be nice to just leave one lens on this puppy for these things. I'd probably be happy with the Tamron 16-300 ... but I can't really find it, either.
I believe it's out in Japan but I haven't seen it available in the US yet. See this press release:

Sigma 18-300mm "C" Release Date Set - Third-Party Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-11-2015, 06:05 PM   #64
Pentaxian

I bought mine from Unique Photo in August of this year, which is an authorized Sigma dealer according to the Sigma list. I searched on the Unique Photo web site today and it showed the lens as being out of stock. They are located in Fairfield, New Jersey, United States. Their contact number is (973) 377-2007 for their store which is open on weekends. They might be able to tell you if/when they could possibly get the lens for you. Their M-F customer service number is 1-800-631-0300.

https://www.uniquephoto.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.results&searchString=Sigma+18-300

Last edited by C_Jones; 12-11-2015 at 06:20 PM.
12-17-2015, 03:02 AM   #65

The test ws made with a Nikon 300 - not a dslr with that much Need for good resolution!
We all kno quite well that the higher megapixel-sensors Need better lenses.
So this Sigma lens tested onaNikon 7200 would have been a fair and comparable test.

We know the same from some lenses ofthe 6 MP-aera.
When used on the 14/16-MP-sensors their good result was not realized any more.
The Tamon/entax-superoom lenses were tested on such dslr with much higher Rresolution..
01-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #66

I like the idea of the Sigma 18-300, but how does the barrel extend? is it a push-pull or does it twist out? from the pics it looks like it has to extend. I may favor it over any 18-270, because the glass is wider. to me that's better for wide angle shots with filters.
01-08-2016, 06:54 PM   #67
Pentaxian

It extends using the twist method. When the AF operates sometimes a part of the external barrel will move. I had one I bought in August/2015. It takes nice images, but I decided to get something else, returned it for a refund, and ended up buying a Pentax 16-85 to complement my Sigma 150-500. One of the reasons I returned it was due to the movement of the barrel externally during AF, but for those that really want/need the range the lens offers, it might be handy to have. As I mentioned it does take nice images. I do not know why it has not been available for Pentax K mount on a regular basis. The other mounts are available on Amazon for the lens.

Last edited by C_Jones; 01-08-2016 at 07:07 PM.
01-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #68

Photos: Albums
I like this lens

01-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. Thanks for sharing.