Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2015, 03:05 AM   #31
Pentaxian

A sensor shining is a sign of a bad anti-reflective coating, and can cause all sorts of flare issues. I'm disappointed

P.S. I fully understand that you cannot say more, and it's probably for the best. But... you can type, right? Right?

08-10-2015, 03:19 AM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A sensor shining is a sign of a bad anti-reflective coating, and can cause all sorts of flare issues. I'm disappointed

P.S. I fully understand that you cannot say more, and it's probably for the best. But... you can type, right? Right?
Typing is also not possible here, sorry
But good news are ahead !
08-10-2015, 03:45 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
How does the LX100 compare to the RX100? Is there a noticeable improvement in image quality?
In regards to the sensors, DxO got it about right. They are fairly similar overall, but the RX100 provides more detail at lower ISO's due to the increased MP, and the LX100 produces cleaner pictures at higher ISO's thanks to the larger sensor.

But on the more general question of image quality, I much prefer the LX100. The larger sensor allows for more shallow depth of field, to get closer to that DSLR look, and the lens is much faster (f/1.7-2.8 vs f/1.8-4.9). It maintains a large aperture, even at full telephoto, which further increases the noise advantage of the LX100, since you can stay at lower ISO's.

Since I like to shoot portraits, I spend a lot of time at full telephoto. So with the RX100-II, the lens would close down to f/4.9, killing the shallow DOF and requiring a higher ISO. It has also been demonstrated that the lens on the LX100 renders OOF areas much nicer in many instances. It just seems to be a higher-quality lens overall.

When used indoors, the RX-100 was frustrating for me because of the smaller aperture. And the fact that it was not very good at focusing in low-light made it even worse. I ended up mostly using it for video. The video quality of the RX100 series is outstanding, so it makes a great camcorder that can fit in a pocket. With the LX100, I'm shooting pictures again.

It should be noted that with version III of the RX100, Sony gave it a faster lens. But I never used the III, so I can't really compare it.
08-10-2015, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
It will be very interesting to see its performance against the new Sony 42 MP FF sensor.
The Sony 42MP is beaten by the D810 according to preliminary testing I see floating around. Also, the 645Z will have the D810 as its peer. At ISO 50 measured, not that easy to beat even with the slightly larger sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
Pixelshift results would have been interesting.
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If we think that DxO algorithms are based on standard bayer matrix and do not support X-trans sensor for example, it seems only logical that they can't analyse pixel shift performance.
Pixelshift is a variant of image stacking with computable effect on sensor scores. It effectively multiplies base iso by 1/#frames and therefore, pushes DR and Dxomarks.

However, it is no sensor score and must be excluded from the official list of scores. Dxo somewhat break their own rule for their own DxO ONE camera which is sad.

As for color technologies deviating from Bayer, DxO testing doesn't rely on it except for its color scores. DxO never published how to extract luminosity data from raw files exactly. But they don't do demosaicing which is part of the reason why their results are this precise.

The effect of pixel shifting on rsolution would have to become new camera/lens combination result entries. I doubt DxO has the resources to do that, esp. as they would have to add feature "Pentax Pixelshift version 1" into their own raw converter.

Last edited by falconeye; 08-10-2015 at 04:20 AM.
08-10-2015, 05:05 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
In regards to the sensors, DxO got it about right. They are fairly similar overall, but the RX100 provides more detail at lower ISO's due to the increased MP, and the LX100 produces cleaner pictures at higher ISO's thanks to the larger sensor.
Does this also translate into cleaner shadows?
08-10-2015, 05:14 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
You should have more info about it soon, the sensor really shines (cannot say more, sorry guys)
Ah, so it IS a BSI!
08-10-2015, 05:55 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Pixelshift is a variant of image stacking with computable effect on sensor scores. It effectively multiplies base iso by 1/#frames and therefore, pushes DR and Dxomarks.

However, it is no sensor score and must be excluded from the official list of scores. Dxo somewhat break their own rule for their own DxO ONE camera which is sad.

As for color technologies deviating from Bayer, DxO testing doesn't rely on it except for its color scores. DxO never published how to extract luminosity data from raw files exactly. But they don't do demosaicing which is part of the reason why their results are this precise.

The effect of pixel shifting on rsolution would have to become new camera/lens combination result entries. I doubt DxO has the resources to do that, esp. as they would have to add feature "Pentax Pixelshift version 1" into their own raw converter.
Exactly, plus if Pentax don't give them the "raw codec" for the pixel-shift implementation (and i bet such a thing is not on any Ricoh agenda, because reserved for Silkypix contract) , finding the correct way to get intended results out of the K-3 II raw files would be like finding a needle in a bale of straw for DxO

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-10-2015 at 06:02 AM.
08-10-2015, 06:30 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Does this also translate into cleaner shadows?
My impression is that it does, but I would have to go through my images and find similar pictures shot in similar circumstances to compare directly.

I actually ended up not using my RX100 very often for pictures due to my frustration with the small aperture and the dismal low-light focusing. My old Olympus XZ-1 focused with ease in conditions that challenged my RX100 (and my RX1, while I owned it). If I wanted nice photos, I still went for my DSLR. With my LX100, I'm happy to use it for casual photo duties.
08-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #39
Veteran Member

My impression is that it does, but I would have to go through my images and find similar pictures shot in similar circumstances to compare directly.

I actually ended up not using my RX100 very often for pictures due to my frustration with the small aperture and the dismal low-light focusing. My old Olympus XZ-1 focused with ease in conditions that challenged my RX100 (and my RX1, while I owned it). If I wanted nice photos, I still went for my DSLR. With my LX100, I'm happy to use it for casual photo duties.
That's a bit of a shame. On my last holiday in France, whilst my RX100 was obviously overshadowed by my K30 most of the time, on the occasion that I wanted something smaller to carry around I found the RX100's images pretty impressive. It was pretty fun to use in dim light at the short end with the aperture around F2.2 as well.

The newer RX100s and the LX100 both seem to make the same adaptation to their lenses in trading reach for a more stable aperture.
08-10-2015, 06:57 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Hard to beat that Sigma 50-150 for (low light) portraits on virtually any of the K's 1,3,5,7 Edgar.
08-10-2015, 07:19 AM   #41
Veteran Member

But on the more general question of image quality, I much prefer the LX100. The larger sensor allows for more shallow depth of field, to get closer to that DSLR look, and the lens is much faster (f/1.7-2.8 vs f/1.8-4.9). It maintains a large aperture, even at full telephoto, which further increases the noise advantage of the LX100, since you can stay at lower ISO's.

Since I like to shoot portraits, I spend a lot of time at full telephoto. So with the RX100-II, the lens would close down to f/4.9, killing the shallow DOF and requiring a higher ISO. It has also been demonstrated that the lens on the LX100 renders OOF areas much nicer in many instances. It just seems to be a higher-quality lens overall.

When used indoors, the RX-100 was frustrating for me because of the smaller aperture. And the fact that it was not very good at focusing in low-light made it even worse. I ended up mostly using it for video. The video quality of the RX100 series is outstanding, so it makes a great camcorder that can fit in a pocket. With the LX100, I'm shooting pictures again.

It should be noted that with version III of the RX100, Sony gave it a faster lens. But I never used the III, so I can't really compare it.
I taken a look at the LX100, my only concern with it really was the 12MP "only" with '24-70' only for range look like a bit short to me. Do you feel being restricted to 70mm is ok? Also does the quality allow to crop to say 6MP to match 100mm equivalent framing?
08-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I taken a look at the LX100, my only concern with it really was the 12MP "only" with '24-70' only for range look like a bit short to me. Do you feel being restricted to 70mm is ok? Also does the quality allow to crop to say 6MP to match 100mm equivalent framing?
I wouldn't mind if the lens was a bit longer, but I realize that they can only do so much in a small package. I think the image quality is good enough to stand up to some cropping, as long as the ISO isn't too high.

On my K-30, I've gotten used to underexposing in order to save the highlights, and then brightening it back up in ACR. Because of how amazing the sensor is in the K-30/K-5, you still end up with fairly clean images. With my LX100, I try to expose properly since the RAW files are not as flexible as the K-30's. If you underexpose very much and then brighten it back up, you will see some noise. But to keep things in perspective, it's better than anything that isn't a DSLR or doesn't have a large lens attached.

All in all, I've been very impressed with what the LX100 offers in such a compact package. It's not as small as the RX100, but it does some things that the RX100 cannot do. For some, the RX100 makes more sense, for others the LX100 is the better camera.
08-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #43
Veteran Member

I'd imagine correct exposure would be a bit easier with an EVF displaying clipping warnings and a histogram.
08-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'll take my GR though..
08-10-2015, 01:10 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I'll take my GR though..
I've been very tempted by the GR in the past, and could see myself owning one if the right deal comes along. If I could just get the LX100's lens on the GR's sensor, without it being any larger...