Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
If you want more resolution the most practical solution are either shooting large/medium format film and scan, take a MF digital or latest Canon 50MP FF. Then less practical but still applicable in many situations, even with some moving sbujects is panos shoots. This work with everything from smartphones to latest FF.

Pixel shift might be practical in a very few occasion, that's true. In some cases it might be more practical than pano shoots but the situation where it apply are more limited and the gain in quality are more limited because your pano can always be made of more shoots as necessary !

So the overall impact is very small.
What Pentax needs is a pixel shift software application that would allow one to choose where to apply the pixel shift and where to use one of the individual frames. It would seem like it could even be done automatically -- if there is motion artifact, mask in one of the photos and leave the rest with the pixel shift.

You could do this yourself, as well, but it would take a fair amount of time to do so.

08-16-2015, 02:51 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What Pentax needs is a pixel shift software application that would allow one to choose where to apply the pixel shift and where to use one of the individual frames. It would seem like it could even be done automatically -- if there is motion artifact, mask in one of the photos and leave the rest with the pixel shift.

You could do this yourself, as well, but it would take a fair amount of time to do so.
The fine people at Imaging Resource described nicely how to do exactly this (assuming you shot raw), albeit only manually, in part 1 of their K-3II field test.
08-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Actually, merging 3 or 4 images together will indeed increase DR significantly
Michael, full agreement.

I do wonder though why you make the statement? I said so earlier in this thread myself and never said otherwise.

---------- Post added 17-08-15 at 01:45 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
What Pentax needs is a pixel shift software application that would allow one to choose where to apply the pixel shift and where to use one of the individual frames. It would seem like it could even be done automatically -- if there is motion artifact, mask in one of the photos and leave the rest with the pixel shift
IIRC, this has already been done. I believe, it was the author of dcraw and he actually does motion detection by comparing the two green channels which should be about equal. There was a thread at DPR about it.

The most recent LR supports pixel shift as well. Although I don't know how they deal with motion artefacts. Of course with LR or ACR, you can open the raw in two Photoshop layers and paint a mask where to skip pixel shift.
08-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #64
Forum Member

It's OK to Be the Underdog
my friends love the images out of the K-3...so do I
Aloha

08-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Krusty Surfer Quote
It's OK to Be the Underdog
my friends love the images out of the K-3...so do I
Aloha
My friend love the image from my camera. They don't git a shit what brand it is. In fact nobody care except maybe amateurs/pro photographers.
08-29-2015, 03:45 AM   #66

A7RII's DxO score already come out,
it's 98 !
08-29-2015, 05:14 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Teddy Quote
it's 98 !
D810 is a 97... Also A7R-II made A7s completely irrelevant as it gone more than half way in term of high iso performance. Now between A7R-II and A7s there 3.5 time less pixel but 0.04EV difference in high iso performance !
08-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #68
Site Supporter

Exact, looks like internal cannibalism for Sony to me.

08-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Exact, looks like internal cannibalism for Sony to me.
As usual. They'd get market share of Nikon and Canon combined and they still might not earn money. (this is of course caricatural)
08-29-2015, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K5IIs I bought a few months ago for around $500. It appears to certainly hold its own against the other cameras at DXO in the test groupings. I haven't found much of anything about it not to like? Best Pentax I have ever owned beyond a doubt....

It was about the same price as my Toy Cameras Fuji X10 & X20.......so I'd like to mention value along with performance. When you can get an amazingly great camera at the price of a Toy Camera, that is what I call mind boggling value!

There are lots of great cameras out there, but how many cost less than a cheap P&S? Not that my Fuji cameras are "cheap"...they are fantastically well made and precision crafted...but they are still toys compared to my K5IIs!

If you are like me, post most of your work on the web, and seldom print larger than 8x10, then Pentax has some of the best bargains in the camera world today.

Even at this price, it is still a bargain! Prices went up when people realized what a gem this camera really is!
Amazon.com : Pentax K-5 IIs 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black) : Slr Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

Regards!
08-30-2015, 02:16 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Teddy Quote
it's 98 !
Very impressive for that pixel count and sensor size. If the rumors about this sensor getting into the new Pentax FF it looks very promising.

Comparison K-5 vs K-3II vs A7RII
08-30-2015, 09:10 AM   #72
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
D810 is a 97.
I wonder how many cameras are sold, or not sold, by bragging rights.

I know of a guy who, when asked about his camera would say something like , "I have a Nikon 810, the camera with most pixels and best DXO score". When the Canon 5DS came out, he had to soften his approach; now he has nothing to brag. I wonder if Nikon will come out with a camera using a better sensor soon, and if he will find himself "having" to buy a new camera every year or two just to have something to brag about.

In any case, these scores should help to boost Sony camera sales.
08-30-2015, 09:29 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I doubt it's common, unless you're talking about certain celebs walking around with a Leica. Most people these days aren't too impressed with cameras that you can't use to make calls or play games.
08-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I know of a guy who, when asked about his camera would say something like , "I have a Nikon 810, the camera with most pixels and best DXO score". When the Canon 5DS came out, he had to soften his approach; now he has nothing to brag. I wonder if Nikon will come out with a camera using a better sensor soon, and if he will find himself "having" to buy a new camera every year or two just to have something to brag about.
I will admit that the DxOMark scores were one reason behind my switch from the Canon Rebel T3 (1100D) my brother had gifted me to my current Pentax K-30, not to mention all of the other specs that seemed to beat anything else around for the price.

I still have the e-mail I sent to my father two years ago when he was looking to buy my T3, comparing the specs of the two cameras plus his then-current one (the Rebel XT/350D). I specifically pointed out the viewfinder, weather sealing, catch-in focus, IBIS, and auto HDR, while also supplying the DxOMark scores at the end: the K-30 beat the T3 by 2 bits of color depth, 2 stops of dynamic range, and about 1/2 stop of usable high ISO -- all noticeable differences.

But even if that counts as bragging, I did come out of it with a camera I'm happier with and haven't since felt the need to upgrade from. It's just too bad I can no longer use my Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake...
08-30-2015, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
It's just too bad I can no longer use my Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake...
Yeah, it's a shame that Pentax doesn't have a lens like that...