Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2015, 06:02 PM   #16

Pixelshift results would have been interesting. Most interesting. I think the D7200 difference is entirely in software. They've been working with 24mp sensors for quite a while now and I'm sure have tweaked it for that kind of output. Pentax's approach will always be different (hopefully that still applies to FF), and I prefer what they do.

Also Pentax shouldn't have given them a 645z earlier as they were sold out. I'd rather it go to a user then whatever dxo is.

08-08-2015, 07:01 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I check out DxO just like most of the people here, but I really don't but a whole lot importance on what they report.
I hear a lot of people scoff at DxO sensor scores, but I've come to respect them since they match what I've seen with my own eyes.

I've progressed from early DSLR's starting with the Olympus e-410 and then e-520, and then Canon t2i, Pentax K-x, and finally Pentax K-30. I also owned an Olympus PEN E-P1 m43 mirrorless along the way. And my compacts have included the Olympus XZ-1, Sony RX-100-II, Sony RX-1, and now the Panasonic LX100. And I have always found that DxO scores track very closely with the relative real-world image quality from each of my cameras.
08-08-2015, 09:44 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I hear a lot of people scoff at DxO sensor scores, but I've come to respect them since they match what I've seen with my own eyes.

I've progressed from early DSLR's starting with the Olympus e-410 and then e-520, and then Canon t2i, Pentax K-x, and finally Pentax K-30. I also owned an Olympus PEN E-P1 m43 mirrorless along the way. And my compacts have included the Olympus XZ-1, Sony RX-100-II, Sony RX-1, and now the Panasonic LX100. And I have always found that DxO scores track very closely with the relative real-world image quality from each of my cameras.

Seems like the K-5IIs still beats the K3 when it comes to sensors according to DxO...
08-09-2015, 01:57 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
Pixelshift results would have been interesting. Most interesting. I think the D7200 difference is entirely in software. They've been working with 24mp sensors for quite a while now and I'm sure have tweaked it for that kind of output. Pentax's approach will always be different (hopefully that still applies to FF), and I prefer what they do.

Also Pentax shouldn't have given them a 645z earlier as they were sold out. I'd rather it go to a user then whatever dxo is.
From what I know the maximal difference because of software is around 3 points. So the sensor technology is also involved in the difference between K3-II and D7200.

08-09-2015, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DR are highly affected by how low the lowest ISO setting are. The ISO 80 that really measured to about ISO 70 makes the K-5 series shine in DR measurement. The ISO range is programmable via camera firmware.

DxOMark forum admin, Sophie, told me the 3. of june:
QuoteQuote:
I've just got confirmation that the sensor review for the Pentax 645Z will be published this summer. Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with any specific date, since our priorities in terms of test production is subject to variations.
I asked for an ETA on Friday, but i guess she was on vacation or just busy that day. Anyway, i'm happy it gets tested.

Last edited by Simen1; 08-09-2015 at 02:52 AM.
08-09-2015, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Seems like the K-5IIs still beats the K3 when it comes to sensors according to DxO...
If you look at the SNR and dynamic range curves, they lie right on top of each other. The K5 II does have noise reduction applied to RAW files per DXO Mark above iso 1600.

The only difference is that the base iso on the K5 II is 80 and the K3 II is iso 100. This produces the .5 EV difference in measured maximal dynamic range (14.1 versus 13.6). The final scores for the K5 II and K3 II are 82 and 80 respectively. Not a visible difference. DXO Mark says that there needs to be a difference of 5 points to see a difference in sensors. On the other hand, resolution is not included in their score and the K3 does have better resolution with 24 megapixels than the K5 model cameras.

I own a K3 and a K5 II and there is minimal difference in ability to process these cameras, but the K3 does have better resolution at lower isos.
08-09-2015, 05:14 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
The DR are highly affected by how low the lowest ISO setting are. The ISO 80 that really measured to about ISO 70 makes the K-5 series shine in DR measurement. The ISO range is programmable via camera firmware.

I asked for an ETA on Friday, but i guess she was on vacation or just busy that day. Anyway, i'm happy it gets tested.
I can try to get a precise date for you...

08-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote

How does the LX100 compare to the RX100? Is there a noticeable improvement in image quality?
08-09-2015, 06:49 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Subtext: we did not test in areas that would show Pentax cameras to be superior?
If we think that DxO algorithms are based on standard bayer matrix and do not support X-trans sensor for example, it seems only logical that they can't analyse pixel shift performance.

DxO is a small company, they need to make money to stay in business and their DxOMark is just a by product of their bundled calibration/optical/sensor correction applied automatically to each camera they support in DxO Optics Pro.
08-09-2015, 07:02 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 Nicolas06 for a good rational explanation. Forums are too quick to criticize companies without realizing the constraints those companies have. DXOMark is a gift to us and a marketing tool for them. We should be grateful for the utility it does offer.
08-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Though the difference is negligibIe, I still hope that the next APS-C flagship will be better than the K-5 series. Otherwise, there will b le NP reason for some of us to upgrade.

Just kidding.
08-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like DxOMark. They are useful. I do have a gripe with their lens testing [in]consistency, but not their sensor scoring.

As others have noted, while the individual scores are a useful shorthand, the real utility of the DxOMark process is the measurement charts and curves. It's very useful, for example, to follow the dynamic range profile sometimes between cameras - where it starts from, where it looks good, where it falls apart.
08-09-2015, 07:24 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nicolas06: In that case they need to admit their inability to perform the test. This is what honest scientists would do.
08-09-2015, 07:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Nicolas06: In that case they need to admit their inability to perform the test. This is what honest scientists would do.
Man, give them a rest... I know we all love Pentax but they said they didn't test it explicitely as a warning so we are all aware. To me that quite honest.

And I'am quite sure they have the hability to do it... They design raw processing software, they design hardware to process photos in phone and cameras andt they recently made a small camera... I'd say their set of skill for anything related to photo processing is quite respectable. But making the dedicated software for such things might take years and cost millions euros... If that just to satisfy a few fanboys that will always find something more to argue anway, that's not very productive.
08-10-2015, 02:45 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote

You should have more info about it soon, the sensor really shines (cannot say more, sorry guys)