Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 12:47 AM   #151
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That's never a matter of iso but lens diameter. Are you ready for that 3m lens Ø?

In other words ... there is a reason why bats use ultrasonic radar rather than their eyes ...
Same for owls, on a moonless night, an owl relies on its sharp hearing to track its prey.
Who said I wanted the visible spectre of light ?

Photography if you care about other's people opinions is all about emotional impact...

I don't think people take into consideration the diminishing returns concept, they think it only applies to land, as if the human mind has infinite abilities.

12-10-2015, 02:50 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
....Well, after 3 contacts in and around the software editor, it looks like internal DxO discussions - of which content i don't know - are delaying the Z results publication.
This nevertheless "shoulnd't take long", as from now.....
Its been 1,5 months from the end of October (second estimate) and 2,5 since the end of September (first estimate). Any news on when the full 645Z DXO review will be published? Or any insight into what the delay is about? I fear the test wont be published until the Z is replaced.
12-10-2015, 04:07 AM   #153
Pentaxian

I agree, that sounds weird....
12-10-2015, 04:39 AM   #154

I was in DxO exactly a week ago, but I don't have any new information about this review The only sure things for now are that the lab work is done and that the blocking point is the DxO Mark team...

This whole thing is turning weird...

12-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #155
Pentaxian

VERY weird...
12-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #156
Pentaxian

A new delai has just been given by a DxO community manager : january 2016...
12-10-2015, 09:57 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Puzzling. But if that date is concrete, that's a positive.

12-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #158

Do you have a precise name for this 'community manager' (PM maybe) ?
12-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #159
Pentaxian

Mmm are they trying to find some time to fiddle with the numbers?

Sorry but this looks beyond fishy...
12-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #160

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
......It is odd the D7200 tests so much better. I suppose Nikon gave Sony specific tweaks to implement in the sensor to maximize dynamic range, as the D7200 tests even better than the K5 in this respect and really close to full frame levels (it is quite a bit worse than full frame in SNR).
I suspect that is EXACTLY what happened. Nikon has been tweaking their 24 MP DX chip every single time they put out a new 24 MP DX camera body, even going back and forth to Toshiba to try and get the best quality possible.

Pentax, I suspect, decided to just leave the sensor and ADC image pipeline the same, up until the whole pixel-shift system which I'd assume happens after the ADC?

Either way, I hope that Pentax pushes harder to get killer sensor updates in something like a K-3 III, or the K-1 full-frame. The difference may be negligible from one camera to another when Nikon is coming out with 3-4 new bodies per year, but from the original to the latest, the difference is noticeable and useful in both HDR and high ISO situations.
12-10-2015, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm are they trying to find some time to fiddle with the numbers?

The appearance of a conflict of interest is often worse than the fact of a conflict of interest.
12-11-2015, 12:27 AM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The appearance of a conflict of interest is often worse than the fact of a conflict of interest.
Indeed.
12-11-2015, 02:06 AM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Even while it reeks of fishy commercial interests twisting their view this is not the only impact.

Similar to DPRs deliberate non/late-reviewing of Pentax cameras this DxOmark nonreviewing of digital products makes all their statements childish as they want to publish "scores" and "ranks" and "compare" as their key offering.

If they do not include all relevant items on the market any statements they make can only be false.

Certainly there will be the dpr/dxo-apologists who will find all sorts of fishy excuses, but if you are "the leading sports car magazine" and want to sell your paper with a "ranking of most sexy sports cars 2015" then non-testing Porsches but restricting it only to Chryslers, Fords and Fiats is just a waste and the ranking and statements are bullsh..

As we know, digital stuff improves every month. So a delay of 6 months already is active manipulation, nothing less.
If they do not have the capacity to test Porsches in time then they are simply doing a bad job and should withdraw form this. No more excuses.
12-11-2015, 02:20 AM   #164
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep.

Since a good review is of course great publicity/advertising, it would be a shame if a supposedly impartial magazine or website did them in timely fashion for favoured brands that ... um, looked after them.
12-11-2015, 03:45 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is the issue with DXO Mark that they are deliberately putting Pentax off, or is it that Pentax took a long time to send them a copy of the 645z and lenses to test? It seems as though they depend on other folks to loan them a camera and lenses to test (similar to Klaus on Photozone). It would have been in Pentax's interests to see them get a copy of the 645z pretty soon after release with a couple of their newer lenses. At least I would think so, but I don't think that happened.