Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #181
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sunny16 Quote
I would definitely love for it to be mirrorless though I would be surprised if it is. I used manual focus m42, M, and A lenses on Pentax film cameras with split-screen focusing up until I bought my first DSLR (K10D.) The manual focus experience was disappointing and I invested in AF lenses but had a lot of back/front focus issues even up through the K-5 (last standard Pentax DSLR I bought.) The K-01 was the first digital Pentax camera that, even with its slow AF on many lenses, worked how I always wanted a digital camera to work. The contrast AF was almost always accurate and I could finally use my old lenses using the punch-in focus magnification. At the time I thought "if they could make this full frame and with an EVF, people would love it." A year and half later Sony released that very camera and called it the A7. And (for me) that series of cameras works mostly how I would like it to with my Pentax glass.

That said, I would happily buy a Pentax full frame if I could get it to work with my current needs. I know I would love to have the options/support back with my "native" lenses attached back to a K mount body. We'll see what happens but I hope we hear something one way or the other soon.
Interesting.

My K-30 seems to focus exactly on the thing I choose. Is it only the more expensive cameras that have front/back focus issues? I have asked this question several times, but never gotten an explanation: I can see when the target is in focus; why can't an expensive camera see that?

08-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #182
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Interesting.

My K-30 seems to focus exactly on the thing I choose. Is it only the more expensive cameras that have front/back focus issues? I have asked this question several times, but never gotten an explanation: I can see when the target is in focus; why can't an expensive camera see that?
Yeah... and in all fairness, for all I know maybe I just had back luck with my copy of the K10D and so on. It seems that Pentax has been a little behind the others in the auto focus department and front/back focus issues seem to have more to do with phase detect AF than specifically anything Pentax. I did have a chance to try someones K3 II about a month ago and from that brief experience, the camera seemed to focus much more confidently than my experiences from just a few years ago.
08-20-2015, 12:26 PM - 3 Likes   #183
Pentaxian

Sometimes it works in your favour... in the focussing for this image the camera slightly back focussed. I was focusing on the tip of the cone. The images focussed where I was aiming to focus, were too soft on the petals. Full size you can see the image is a little soft on the tip of the cone, but the 3mm difference in focus point kept the petals, which are un-acceptably soft on the properly focussed images, in acceptable focus.

You can complain about un-reliable focus, but if you take 5 or six images, it can work out better than you deserve.

Last edited by normhead; 08-20-2015 at 12:35 PM.
08-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

But let's not go there yet.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/298256-ff-out-4-months-post3347117.html

08-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #185
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sometimes it works in your favour... in the focussing for this image the camera slightly back focussed. I was focusing on the tip of the cone. The images focussed where I was aiming to focus, were too soft on the petals. Full size you can see the image is a little soft on the tip of the cone, but the 3mm difference in focus point kept the petals, which are un-acceptably soft on the properly focussed images, in acceptable focus.

You can complain about un-reliable focus, but if you take 5 or six images, it can work out better than you deserve.
That's a neat picture!

The EXIF data shows an aperture of f/5.6.

I'm a little surprised that the DOF is so shallow at that aperture.
I would have expected more depth, but I have to admit that I don't take very many pictures like that, so the difference in my experience may partly reflect a difference in style and partly a difference in standards.
08-21-2015, 12:38 AM   #186
Pentaxian

Closer you get, the narrower in focus area gets.
08-21-2015, 05:02 AM   #187
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you use a dust-off air can or similar to clear critters? In Florida, we'd see 50 resident critters on your subject. Nice job and comments.
08-21-2015, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #188
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That's a neat picture!

The EXIF data shows an aperture of f/5.6.

I'm a little surprised that the DOF is so shallow at that aperture.
I would have expected more depth, but I have to admit that I don't take very many pictures like that, so the difference in my experience may partly reflect a difference in style and partly a difference in standards.
The image was taken at ƒ2 ƒ4 ƒ5.6 ƒ8, ƒ5.6 was the magic number where the DoF gave me enough detail, but the back ground wasn't totally messy. Of course at F2 the out of focus areas were totally creamy, but most of the subject was soft. When taking images like this, I always try and select a lens that will be close to it's closest focusing distance. That is the way to control depth of field. Some have suggested it's better controlled by using a larger format, but, both ways work. A longer lens shot close to it's minimum focusing distance provides narrow DoF equal to shooting a shorter lens at a wide aperture setting.

08-21-2015, 07:24 AM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter

A longer lens shot close to it's minimum focusing distance provides narrow DoF equal to shooting a shorter lens at a wide aperture setting.
And with all the benefits of stopping down a little (provided of course there is enough light).
08-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #190
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Sure. I might even buy both.
I have over 30 K-mount lenses and over a dozen are FF glass. The latter will need a home.
Does certain glas demand the investment in the comming Pentax FF? Perehaps....but then my bank account is in trouble.

I've got 16 FF autofocus lenses.
62 FF K-mount manual focus lenses, the majority Pentax K, M and A.
Another 44 m37 and m42 lenses (the majority Takumars) that cover FF and will fit with a simple adapter.
We can even count 9 DKL lenses (Rodenstock, Schneider-Kreuznach and Voigtländer) that also cover FF and will fit with a simple glas-less adapter.
Finally 12 medium format lenses (67 and 645 Pentax and Takumar), which cover FF with an adapter.

OK, not all of this will live up to a FF sensor, but many will, and some will be extremely interesting to test...thinkging foremost on the A*135/1.8.
So of course I will "need" a FF Pentax. Question is only price and how long it will take to save up for it...
08-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #191
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
So of course I will "need" a FF Pentax.
WIth so much glass to suit, you have to get one eventually. You can't not. Curiosity won't let you shrink away from it!
08-21-2015, 11:37 PM   #192
Site Supporter

It's not the quantity of glass that matter, it's the quality: three stellar full frame lenses in K mount (wide angle, normal, tele), all the rest belongs to the eye of the photographer. LBA is different.
08-22-2015, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #193
mee
Site Supporter

Quantity, Quality, Price, Speed, Size, Weight, AF motor type all matter and at different amounts to each photographer.... but I have a more important question to ask -- Why do we even bother with these threads arguing, debating, and generally stating thoughts on the issue as if it matters? One person gives a rumor and then we have dozens of pages of hearsay about the hearsay. People arguing other people because their personalities clash.. their thoughts clash.. their surfaces clash. Everyone sticks to their guns and rehashes their view and, at the end of the thread whenever that is, nothing is gained beyond time wasted. Every thread in the News and Rumors thread thus becomes a proverbial Groundhog Day.. never finding the correct steps (or factual news) to break free from the endless cycle. It becomes a strange pattern of visiting these threads hoping to see actual news and constantly disappointed by seeing nothing that could be constituted as news...
08-22-2015, 12:48 AM   #194
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Why do we even bother with these threads arguing, debating, and generally stating thoughts on the issue as if it matters?
In absolute, nothing matters, earth won't stop spinning, even if there would be no photographers and no Pentax. But people have emotions, different backgrounds. So , we care, but we don't care.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Every thread in the News and Rumors thread thus becomes a proverbial Groundhog Day.. never finding the correct steps (or factual news) to break free from the endless cycle. It becomes a strange pattern of visiting these threads hoping to see actual news and constantly disappointed by seeing nothing that could be constituted as news...
If there was a thread when there is a new press release from camera vendor, the pentaxforum wouldn't be so alive.

It's part of marketing to encourage and maintain discussion forums, to keep passion alive, develop and nurture new desires etc... and at the same time, people like to express their point of view, to be part of a social group, people actually enjoy themselves talking and being validated by others. So, the result if that forums exist and continue to exist. For people who prefer to be alone with their cameras, it's also possible, they are not forced to read threads.
08-22-2015, 02:09 AM   #195

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Does certain glas demand the investment in the comming Pentax FF? Perehaps....but then my bank account is in trouble.
[...]
In my view you could sell half of those lenses and still have enough lenses to spend for a lifetime, and you'd might have enough money to buy the FF Pentax. :-)