Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 02:00 AM   #121

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
So...no FF. Damn!
How did we switched from 2 to 0 FF ?
I still think that at least one FF will come because Pentax needs to fill the gap between APS-C and MF, and because the margins of FF cameras are higher than APS-C...
But I wonder why we don't have any official launch date so far...

08-19-2015, 02:12 AM   #122
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No. Nothing that I've seen. Reliable information is very hard to find.
For all we know, Ricoh could have abandoned the FF project entirely 6 months ago.
??

Effectively, you've called Kenspo a liar.

Can someone tell me, where does this Pentaxian tendency for self-loathing come from?
08-19-2015, 02:27 AM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There will be a full frame camera. The question is whether or not Pentax will release a "cheap" full frame camera along with an expensive one. A lot of folks on the Forums want to see one, because a 2800 dollar camera seems a bit steep, but I am dubious.

Real leaks on the camera will come towards the end of September or beginning of October, most likely.
08-19-2015, 02:43 AM   #124
Pentaxian

Monochrome, i'm damned convinced by your science
And, if one day you come through an empty chair at Ricoh's board ....

08-19-2015, 03:16 AM   #125
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
How did we switched from 2 to 0 FF ?
I still think that at least one FF will come because Pentax needs to fill the gap between APS-C and MF, and because the margins of FF cameras are higher than APS-C...
But I wonder why we don't have any official launch date so far...
Sorry, this was my humour...not funny.

This was just a response on how this thread has evolved...it is just so stupid. Even if there has been discussion on that there will be FF and that it will not be 24/42 MP(by Kenspo) in new thread all kind of dreams and fantasies seems to be closer the truth, than what has been discussed before.

Let's say that there might be 2 FF, but all along there has been 'only' 1 coming.
Not much more to comment on this.

---------- Post added 08-19-15 at 13:18 ----------

Usually new announcements have come by late september/early october, as Rondec said. They might wan't to have this one on spot at launch.
08-19-2015, 03:34 AM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
A lot of folks on the Forums want to see one, because a 2800 dollar camera seems a bit steep, but I am dubious.
The is a good short summary. From the ff body price survey that was run in this forum (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/290207-how-much-wou...-only-8.html):
35.4% were willing to pay less than $1800 (Nikon D610)
39.38% were willing to pay between $1800 and $2399 (D750)
21.24% were willing to pay between $2400 and $2999
only 3.1% were willing to pay above $3000 (= Nikon D810).

The interesting thing is that after having some full frame business experience with expensive bodies (Canon), Canon introduced the 6D and Nikon (previously having cheap and expensive) followed with the mid priced D750, in order to get the sweet spot of the full frame business (an profit maximizing balance half way between cheap-highest volume and expensive-low volume). While not introducing two full frame bodies at the same time, perhaps, triggering more sales would be achieved by starting with highly price product within the first year of the release and then a significant price drop to trigger mode sales from K-3 or K-3ii owners. I don't what people think when the price of what they purchased drops significantly, but personally I don't like it so much.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-19-2015 at 03:41 AM.
08-19-2015, 03:44 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The is a good short summary. From the ff body price survey that was run in this forum (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/169-pentax-full-frame/290207-how-much-wou...-only-8.html):
35.4% are willing to pay less than $1800 (Nikon D610)
39.38% are willing to pay between $1800 and $2399 (D750)
21.24% are willing to pay between $2400 and $2999
only 3.1% are willing to pay above $3000 (= Nikon D810).

The interesting thing is that after having some full frame business experience with expensive bodies (Canon), Canon introduced the 6D and Nikon (previously having cheap and expensive) followed with the mid priced D750, in order to get the sweet spot of the full frame business (an profit maximizing balance half way between cheap-highest volume and expensive-low volume).
I think Canon and Nikon both decided that the most important thing was to get their customer base invested in full frame in an attempt to sell (more expensive) full frame lenses. In so doing, they released a whole bunch of full frame cameras, to try to target a large number of price points. Pentax will certainly continue to sell and push APS-C cameras for the next several years, they just want an option that folks can move into if they feel they need full frame for some reason.

I wouldn't be suprised if the release price is pretty high, but that it drops into the 2500 dollar range relatively quickly. Lens prices are really where things will get expensive though...

08-19-2015, 03:54 AM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Lens prices are really where things will get expensive though...
Yes, sure the body is only part of the full frame story, having good modern lenses will not be cheap...
08-19-2015, 04:46 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
So...no FF. Damn!
In order to completely wipe out the FF project I heard they've started equipping all employees with a can of FullFramicide™ which they use to spray any other employees who talk, or even think, about a FF camera.

(I've also head that FullFramicide™ is just a can of silly string with a 'Ricoh' label pasted on the side. Janitorial staff expenses have quadrupled since they've started this extermination program but company morale is at an all time high.)
08-19-2015, 04:52 AM   #130

Yes, sure the body is only part of the full frame story, having good modern lenses will not be cheap...
I don't expect them to release lenses much cheaper than 800-1000$.... The 70-200mm gives us an idea of the price range.
Personnaly I think that I will switch to FF in two times : first get the body and go on with my existing lenses, then I will sort the lenses based on the results they provide on FF and replace some of them progressively.
08-19-2015, 04:58 AM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
I don't expect them to release lenses much cheaper than 800-1000$.... The 70-200mm gives us an idea of the price range. Personnaly I think that I will switch to FF in two times : first get the body and go on with my existing lenses, then I will sort the lenses based on the results they provide on FF and replace some of them progressively.
Interesting, I was thinking about buying the lenses first (especially if there is a 15-30) and use them on my K-3, then buy a full frame body when the price is more affordable. The problem with that is that there may not be a lot of reviews about the newer full frames lenses at the beginning.
08-19-2015, 05:13 AM   #132

Interesting, I was thinking about buying the lenses first (especially if there is a 15-30) and use them on my K-3, then buy a full frame body when the price is more affordable. The problem with that is that there may not be a lot of reviews about the newer full frames lenses at the beginning.
This approach works also, but I would like to check my lenses first, I love so much some of them
Regarding the reviews, most of them will be outdated because of the optical aberrations on the borders of the frame... Optically we will have some surprises with vignetting and softness on the borders of images. And we will not get much infos from usual reviewers website because it needs some time to test lenses.
08-19-2015, 05:20 AM   #133
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We are in the perfect position of having a full range of full-frame lenses, albeit older and/or second-hand, ready to go if all we can afford is the body - or if we want to wait and see how the new FF lenses work out.

There is a substantial lore established with regards to working them on digital cameras, and thanks to Sony (and to a lesser extent Canon, because they have to butcher the K-mount lenses to do it) we have some idea of how they perform optically on a full-frame sensor.

Once the Full-Frame comes out, I suspect existing Pentax shooters will be racing to try every lens they've got - and for some of us here, that's quite a lot. Any problems that tend to manifest themselves after so many thousand shutter clicks will be quick to appear in absolute time terms.
08-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Effectively, you've called Kenspo a liar.
No. He can't be a liar if he doesn't know the truth And at the moment the truth about the FF seems to be very closely held in Japan at Ricoh HQ.
08-19-2015, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #135
Pentaxian

The full frame is coming. No doubt about it. Just because Ricoh doesn't bring out a monthly newsletter about it's progress doesn't mean they may have abandoned it. That's just idle speculation.