Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

No Pentax advert in latest Pop Photo

I recieved my latest copy of Pop Photo today and as I usually do, I looked for a Pentax ad. I've liked their quirky Pentaxian ads as of late and was disappointed to see that there was nary an ad form Pentax.

Over the years , Pentax has consistently advertised in this magazine, so seeing nothing makes me wonder.

06-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's in American Photo this month - inside cover and facing page.
06-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Not Registered

The sky is falling!!! the sky is falling!!!!

Sorry I had to do it
06-17-2008, 09:32 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
The sky is falling!!! the sky is falling!!!!
That was an acorn.

06-18-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

i just wish they'd lay out for some billboards or a tv ad or something. photo magazines don't reach many who don't already own a system and that's who pentax need to target.
06-18-2008, 06:23 AM   #6

Pentax doesn't typically advertise every month in PopPhoto. I have several back issues that don't contain Pentax ads, so I guess I don't sweat it. They dropped a big two-pager in the front inside cover in PopPhoto after the K20D and K200D debuted, so maybe they figure they've paid enough editorial taxation/ransom for awhile. Oh and yesterday they had an ad on dpreview.
06-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Advertising is expensive, but I think Pentax needs to pick it up a bit. We all realize they're the smallest, or at least amongst the smallest, but I think they need to advertise more, to be known better over and above their traditional audience.

I like the Pentaxian ads, think they're great and they do promote a a niche spot. I've had Pentax SLRs since '68 and watched their fortunes go up and down.

They make great equipment, but it's always a bit of a worry when they seem to cut back. No, not to the extent of the laugh riot comment of 'the sky is falling' but they do seem to be on, if not the endangered list, at least the need to be monitored list.

I just got my 55-300 Pentax lens and in the packet Hoya had enclosed a letter to Pentax owners that they intend to meed the requirements and demand of Pentax SLR owners.

Well, good, hopefully with the bigger money of Hoya taking over there will be more of a market push. Samsung's involvement can't hurt either. Pentax is a good product with an excellent reputation. Hopefully the Hoya change will capitalize in a positive way on this old camera firm, Pentax.

Last edited by lesmore49; 06-18-2008 at 10:14 AM.
06-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax AD budgets have been significantly reduced..At least that is the word I got.

Ben
06-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I recieved my latest copy of Pop Photo today and as I usually do, I looked for a Pentax ad. I've liked their quirky Pentaxian ads as of late and was disappointed to see that there was nary an ad form Pentax.

Over the years , Pentax has consistently advertised in this magazine, so seeing nothing makes me wonder.
Pentax went years without advertising in any US photo magazine. It wasn't until the K10D came a long until they renewed their ad campaign for other than an occasion point and shot ad. Did you ever see an ad for the MZ-S? The last ad campaign for an SLR from Pentax stared Reggie Jackson and the LX prior to the K10D. How do you think they got to where they are now.

VR
Darryl
06-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Pentax AD budgets have been significantly reduced..At least that is the word I got.

Ben
Thanks, Ben for the insider knowledge. That's kind of what I thought. I wonder if it's a result of the Hoya takeover, just a change in philosophy or if things are real tight at Pentax ?
06-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I see Canon ads running on almost every channel I watch every hour or so.
Plus I see a Nikon commercial running every 2 or 3 days. It's probably just on one channel I watch occasionally, but it's there.

And I don't remember the last time that I've seen a Pentax commercial. How are people supposed to know they still exist if they never hear about them

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
i just wish they'd lay out for some billboards or a tv ad or something. photo magazines don't reach many who don't already own a system and that's who pentax need to target.
When I was looking for my first DSLR some billboards may have helped with my decision. Pentax had a few around here. They dissapeared about 8 months ago.

I also had an old film camera, so I had a couple of lenses as well, which also helped with the decision.
06-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member

they need underground advertising, something that costs them nearly nothing, but has a huge footprint. things that will get noticed, but not in trouble (remember the bomb scare that the exec's at Adult Swim masterminded?).

we just have to think of it.