Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #46
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Marietta, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,048
K-S2 is girly? Oh come on. That's BS. Too tiny for man's hands? I love my K-r, which is about the same size. My masculinity hasn't been questioned because of that, before today...

08-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #47
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,016
This thread has taken quite the detour. I never knew that real men can't use Pentax Limited pancake primes because the lenses are too small. The DA40, FA43, DA21, DA15, etc. are women-only lenses.
08-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #48
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,765
If my Tess ever gets wind of this thread, you guys are going to be toast.
08-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #49
Senior Member
Mister Guy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 244
I hope the message they take away is that they aren't quite penetrated into the full on mass market, and their primary users are largely a little TOO satisfied with their product, and require large changes to motivate us.

Also, some of us apparently think men have fat fingers with very little grip strength.

08-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,159
I told them that while the K-S2 is a great camera, I have no personal interest in it because I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I also told them that I think very highly of Pentax products and that their cameras represent excellent value to me. But I added that I feel their lenses are very expensive once one gets past the kit level. I explained that I have a lot of Pentax glass and I'm glad I purchased most of it before prices went through the roof. There'll be no more $1000-plus lenses for me - and only a precious few above $600. I asked for a less expensive telephoto lens with fast, silent autofocus and WR for APS-C because I'll never afford the 150-450. And I said while their full-frame plans seem lovely, it's all happening too late for me to afford it.
08-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #51
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,765
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I told them that while the K-S2 is a great camera, I have no personal interest in it because I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I also told them that I think very highly of Pentax products and that their cameras represent excellent value to me. But I added that I feel their lenses are very expensive once one gets past the kit level. I explained that I have a lot of Pentax glass and I'm glad I purchased most of it before prices went through the roof. There'll be no more $1000-plus lenses for me - and only a precious few above $600. I asked for a less expensive telephoto lens with fast, silent autofocus and WR for APS-C because I'll never afford the 150-450. And I said while their full-frame plans seem lovely, it's all happening too late for me to afford it.
I'm starting to feel the same way about the 150-450. As much as I'd love this lens, it's getting hard to see how I'd ever afford it. Back when I was working, I would have snapped one up, but I'm retired now. All I can say is the new lenses are going to inspire a new type of Pentax owner. Pentax has been in a position where for some, they couldn't spend enough on Pentax gear to impress their Canikon buddies (And that's what it's all about isn't it?) Pentax is solving that issue.

Unfortunately that means there will always be Pentax gear at the top of the ladder we won't be able to afford, no matter what.

Before, we had to change brands for that.
08-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #52
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 3,833
I took the survey. I was pleased that Ricoh offered it and that I had the opportunity to complete it and provide my input, for whatever that's worth.
08-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #53
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 3,016
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If my Tess ever gets wind of this thread, you guys are going to be toast.
Just one guy deserves it, I think.

... but to continue with the sarcasm, she had best reply from a smartphone with teeny tiny keys, because woman-fingers can't use a real man's full size keyboard

08-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #54
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I asked for a less expensive telephoto lens with fast, silent autofocus and WR for APS-C because I'll never afford the 150-450.
I suppose they could give the HD 55-300 WR the DC treatment,
now it's already happened with the standard kit lens.
08-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,159
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I suppose they could give the HD 55-300 WR the DC treatment,
now it's already happened with the standard kit lens.
Exactly. I just bought the HD 55-300 WR because my smc 55-300 had no WR and the sale price at B&H was too good to pass up. But the lens needs a DC motor. And you know what I forgot to ask them for? A Pentax-branded version of the Tamron 16-300 with WR. Drat!
08-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #56
Senior Member
Mister Guy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 244
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm starting to feel the same way about the 150-450. As much as I'd love this lens, it's getting hard to see how I'd ever afford it. Back when I was working, I would have snapped one up, but I'm retired now. All I can say is the new lenses are going to inspire a new type of Pentax owner. Pentax has been in a position where for some, they couldn't spend enough on Pentax gear to impress their Canikon buddies (And that's what it's all about isn't it?) Pentax is solving that issue.

Unfortunately that means there will always be Pentax gear at the top of the ladder we won't be able to afford, no matter what.

Before, we had to change brands for that.
I need to make sure CameraLensRentals gets a copy of the 150-450. That's probably the only way I'll ever touch one. I wonder if my local rental/camera shop would let me rent to own?
08-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #57
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
[*]Is it technically possible to have the light meter offer a mode for expose-to-the-right (ETTR), to ensure highlights are protected, rather than the usual metering for middle grey?
That one is genious! The more advanced the lightmeter array gets the easier it gets to implement this. In live-view or with a mirrorless camera (Q etc) this is just a software thing.
08-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #58
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I need to make sure CameraLensRentals gets a copy of the 150-450.
You mean this?

LensRentals.com - Rent a Pentax SMC D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC AW
08-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #59
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,146
I got the survey, too. I told them that I wanted one camera that was a serious imaging vessel whether I chose still pics or video. Oh...and I said I wanted better backwards-compatibility with the K-mount.
08-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #60
Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,731
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I got the survey, too. I told them that I wanted one camera that was a serious imaging vessel whether I chose still pics or video. Oh...and I said I wanted better backwards-compatibility with the K-mount.
better than what?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
address, cameras, compacts, dslrs, email, k3, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, post, product, products, ricoh, survey, women
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imaging-Resource Interview With Ricoh luftfluss Pentax News and Rumors 61 03-08-2015 04:07 PM
Understanding your buying preference - Ricoh Survey ramseybuckeye General Photography 15 08-26-2014 03:29 PM
RICOH IMAGING to Exhibit Four Reference Products at CP+ 2014 Camera and Photo Imaging Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 6 04-01-2014 04:45 AM
Ricoh announces company name change - no more Pentax Ricoh Imaging, just Ricoh. rawr Pentax News and Rumors 528 10-28-2013 04:39 PM
RICOH Establishes PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. Adam Homepage & Official Pentax News 20 10-13-2011 03:31 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top