Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2015, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I got the survey, too. I told them that I wanted one camera that was a serious imaging vessel whether I chose still pics or video. Oh...and I said I wanted better backwards-compatibility with the K-mount.
I read "science vessel" and thought of Starcraft.

08-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #62
Veteran Member

I think the real issue with the ks-2 is the fact that is barely cheaper than the k3. If I would pick between the cameras...K3 blows the ks2 out of the water. The ks-2 is a very good camera, but there are not enough Pentaxians to have a healthy market for both cameras at similar price points.
08-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I think the real issue with the ks-2 is the fact that is barely cheaper than the k3. If I would pick between the cameras...K3 blows the ks2 out of the water. The ks-2 is a very good camera, but there are not enough Pentaxians to have a healthy market for both cameras at similar price points.
One of my main comments was that the K-S2 is overpriced. I've been saying for some time now that it is difficult to justify their current price structure.
08-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #64
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
One of my main comments was that the K-S2 is overpriced. I've been saying for some time now that it is difficult to justify their current price structure.
Because they don't have any.

They wait for the FF, more likely two different cameras with different resolutions, to finally have a meaningful range with reasonable pricing for each item. When a company has two cameras in main product line, one a real DSLR and another a hermaphrodite experiment that fits nowhere, it is impossible to construct anything meaningful. They need another two real DSLRs, FF size, to make sense.
Then the fire sale of K-S1 and lowering of price of K-S2 will commence.

I see K-S1 and K-S2 nothing more than a stop gap measure — a year worth of an experiment, buying time until real cameras are developed.

Last edited by Uluru; 08-22-2015 at 02:08 AM.
08-22-2015, 05:27 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I see K-S1 and K-S2 nothing more than a stop gap measure — a year worth of an experiment, buying time until real cameras are developed.
K-S2 is basically a modern version of K-x with weather sealing and articulated LCD and wifi. There where some users that didn't like the K30/K50/K500 as being too big for entry/mid range models. For them K-S1 and K-S2 are alternatives.
I guess with K-S2 they want to see how much the market value articulated LCD and wifi.

The problem with discontinued models sold at fire price is nothing new, and it happens every time a older generation is discontinued.
I don't believe the biggest issue with having K-3 sold cheap is that it affect sales on K-S2, but that it affect sales on K-3 II.
Attached Images

08-22-2015, 05:54 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
K-S2 is basically a modern version of K-x with weather sealing and articulated LCD and wifi. There where some users that didn't like the K30/K50/K500 as being too big for entry/mid range models. For them K-S1 and K-S2 are alternatives.
There are times when I need a small DSLR, and I'm still using the K-x for that.

Apart from size, the big advantage of the K-x was its use of AA batteries.
When you're on the road, one AA charger can feed a lot of devices.

In the survey, I emphasized the inability of the KS-2 to use AA batteries
as one of its major disadvantages for me.
08-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
better than what?
Better than what current Pentax cameras offer. I'd love to have full open-apeture metering with legacy lenses the way they used to work with film cameras. I know it's just a pipe-dream and counter to Pentax's desire to sell new lenses, but hey...if they didn't want to know, they shouldn't have asked me, right? lol
08-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Being a man, my choices are limited and crippled by Pentax's new management. They have a bias, not me, because since K-30, their entry and mid level K-mount cameras are becoming impossible to use comfortably by men anymore
Contrary to the popular Urban Myth large hands and fingers are not correlated with

Last edited by monochrome; 08-22-2015 at 11:41 AM.
08-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #69
Site Supporter

And what about nose ?
That may be problematical with anything else than P&S ...
08-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #70
Veteran Member

My biggest recommendations for Pentax right now are:

A quality USA service center with fast turn around and quality service for repairs, cleanings, or calibrations. No professional will switch from Canon or Nikon to Pentax with no way to get their gear repaired in a timely manner.

Faster lenses. The lack of f/1.4 glass is really surprising.

Upgrades to the FA31 and FA77. such amazing lenses but so crazy loud when focusing. Put DC in them.

A mirrorless APS-C camera with an EVF would be AWESOME! Something compatible to the Sony A6000 (that camera is a beast!!) or some of Fujifilm offerings would be great. I would love nothing more than to put my DA 21 Limited or DA 40 pancake onto a small light weight mirror less camera body would be a dream for times I want to travel light or for street photography.
08-23-2015, 02:46 AM   #71
pid

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
A mirrorless APS-C camera with an EVF would be AWESOME! Something compatible to the Sony A6000 (that camera is a beast!!) or some of Fujifilm offerings would be great. I would love nothing more than to put my DA 21 Limited or DA 40 pancake onto a small light weight mirror less camera body would be a dream for times I want to travel light or for street photography.
... take a Ricoh GR
08-23-2015, 03:44 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I guess with K-S2 they want to see how much the market value articulated LCD and wifi.
I agree. It's more functional and better looking except for the orange bottom.
08-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Ricoh GR of course doesn't provide the flexibility of a mirror less that can swap lenses on. Plus the GR doesn't have a viewfinder or weather sealing. Weather sealed GR just makes total sense!
08-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Better than what current Pentax cameras offer. I'd love to have full open-apeture metering with legacy lenses the way they used to work with film cameras. I know it's just a pipe-dream and counter to Pentax's desire to sell new lenses, but hey...if they didn't want to know, they shouldn't have asked me, right? lol
I'm sure they wanted to know, and I'm sure the small number of people asking for this will re-inforce their decision to go the way they did. All data shows you something.
08-23-2015, 09:02 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I agree. It's more functional and better looking except for the orange bottom.
Oh, if I were going to buy one, I would get the white one with a lime bottom.
My goal these days is to have a camera that would not be confused with a "professional" one, because I do a fair bit of photography similar to street photography, that is people present are part of the story and I would rather be ignored by them. I got tired of having people ask me what I was going to do with my pictures, who I was selling to / representing, etc.