Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-S2 is girly? Oh come on. That's BS. Too tiny for man's hands? I love my K-r, which is about the same size. My masculinity hasn't been questioned because of that, before today...

08-21-2015, 08:42 AM   #47
Pentaxian

This thread has taken quite the detour. I never knew that real men can't use Pentax Limited pancake primes because the lenses are too small. The DA40, FA43, DA21, DA15, etc. are women-only lenses.
08-21-2015, 09:50 AM   #48
Pentaxian

If my Tess ever gets wind of this thread, you guys are going to be toast.
08-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #49

I hope the message they take away is that they aren't quite penetrated into the full on mass market, and their primary users are largely a little TOO satisfied with their product, and require large changes to motivate us.

Also, some of us apparently think men have fat fingers with very little grip strength.

08-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I told them that while the K-S2 is a great camera, I have no personal interest in it because I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I also told them that I think very highly of Pentax products and that their cameras represent excellent value to me. But I added that I feel their lenses are very expensive once one gets past the kit level. I explained that I have a lot of Pentax glass and I'm glad I purchased most of it before prices went through the roof. There'll be no more $1000-plus lenses for me - and only a precious few above $600. I asked for a less expensive telephoto lens with fast, silent autofocus and WR for APS-C because I'll never afford the 150-450. And I said while their full-frame plans seem lovely, it's all happening too late for me to afford it.
08-21-2015, 10:19 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I told them that while the K-S2 is a great camera, I have no personal interest in it because I'm pretty happy with what I've got. I also told them that I think very highly of Pentax products and that their cameras represent excellent value to me. But I added that I feel their lenses are very expensive once one gets past the kit level. I explained that I have a lot of Pentax glass and I'm glad I purchased most of it before prices went through the roof. There'll be no more $1000-plus lenses for me - and only a precious few above $600. I asked for a less expensive telephoto lens with fast, silent autofocus and WR for APS-C because I'll never afford the 150-450. And I said while their full-frame plans seem lovely, it's all happening too late for me to afford it.
I'm starting to feel the same way about the 150-450. As much as I'd love this lens, it's getting hard to see how I'd ever afford it. Back when I was working, I would have snapped one up, but I'm retired now. All I can say is the new lenses are going to inspire a new type of Pentax owner. Pentax has been in a position where for some, they couldn't spend enough on Pentax gear to impress their Canikon buddies (And that's what it's all about isn't it?) Pentax is solving that issue.

Unfortunately that means there will always be Pentax gear at the top of the ladder we won't be able to afford, no matter what.

Before, we had to change brands for that.
08-21-2015, 10:24 AM   #52
Pentaxian

I took the survey. I was pleased that Ricoh offered it and that I had the opportunity to complete it and provide my input, for whatever that's worth.

08-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If my Tess ever gets wind of this thread, you guys are going to be toast.
Just one guy deserves it, I think.

... but to continue with the sarcasm, she had best reply from a smartphone with teeny tiny keys, because woman-fingers can't use a real man's full size keyboard
08-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I asked for a less expensive telephoto lens with fast, silent autofocus and WR for APS-C because I'll never afford the 150-450.
I suppose they could give the HD 55-300 WR the DC treatment,
now it's already happened with the standard kit lens.
08-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I suppose they could give the HD 55-300 WR the DC treatment,
now it's already happened with the standard kit lens.
Exactly. I just bought the HD 55-300 WR because my smc 55-300 had no WR and the sale price at B&H was too good to pass up. But the lens needs a DC motor. And you know what I forgot to ask them for? A Pentax-branded version of the Tamron 16-300 with WR. Drat!
08-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'm starting to feel the same way about the 150-450. As much as I'd love this lens, it's getting hard to see how I'd ever afford it. Back when I was working, I would have snapped one up, but I'm retired now. All I can say is the new lenses are going to inspire a new type of Pentax owner. Pentax has been in a position where for some, they couldn't spend enough on Pentax gear to impress their Canikon buddies (And that's what it's all about isn't it?) Pentax is solving that issue.

Unfortunately that means there will always be Pentax gear at the top of the ladder we won't be able to afford, no matter what.

Before, we had to change brands for that.
I need to make sure CameraLensRentals gets a copy of the 150-450. That's probably the only way I'll ever touch one. I wonder if my local rental/camera shop would let me rent to own?
08-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
[*]Is it technically possible to have the light meter offer a mode for expose-to-the-right (ETTR), to ensure highlights are protected, rather than the usual metering for middle grey?
That one is genious! The more advanced the lightmeter array gets the easier it gets to implement this. In live-view or with a mirrorless camera (Q etc) this is just a software thing.
08-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I need to make sure CameraLensRentals gets a copy of the 150-450.
You mean this?

LensRentals.com - Rent a Pentax SMC D FA 150-450mm f/4.5-5.6 DC AW
08-21-2015, 06:02 PM   #59
Pentaxian

I got the survey, too. I told them that I wanted one camera that was a serious imaging vessel whether I chose still pics or video. Oh...and I said I wanted better backwards-compatibility with the K-mount.
08-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I got the survey, too. I told them that I wanted one camera that was a serious imaging vessel whether I chose still pics or video. Oh...and I said I wanted better backwards-compatibility with the K-mount.
better than what?