Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh Imaging Survey

Just got an e-mail from Ricoh Imaging (US) with a link to a survey.

"We want to hear from you, our loyal customers,
on your Pentax and Ricoh wants and needs."

Haven't gone there yet, but this looks like a good opportunity,
and a sign that they're trying harder than they used to.

08-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/?sm=H34yMNnaVh2C140wsLxKeA%3d%3d

Ricoh wants your input on the K-S2 and what you want in future APS-C and full-frame/medium format cameras. Completing this survey will also give you a chance to win a Q-S1. Make your voice heard!

I'm very happy Ricoh is running this survey. It shows they're taking customer feedback seriously.

—DragonLord
08-20-2015, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #3

From my submission:

12. Do you have any specific requests (features/form/function) with respect to APSC (crop) sensored cameras by Pentax?
1. In Playback mode, zoom into the focus point used, not the center of the image! It's pretty obvious, and the competitors have this feature, too.
2. In K3, Pentax changed the way how you switch between various information displays while in playback mode. On older Pentax bodies, the info button simply caused the camera to cycle between the different screens. Now, the info button brings up a pop-up menu, and you must select the desired screen using the 4-way pad or e-dial, and then confirm using the OK button.
How tedious, why the change? Reviews were annoyed by this, users in dicussion forums were annoyed by this. Well thought through user interfaces have always been a strength of Pentax. Ergonomics count more to me than anything else.

14. What are your thoughts on Pentax products? How do they compare (pros and cons) with respect to competitor products?
Pentax doesn't listen. There is no way to get Pentax' attention on easy-to-fix problems like the ones i mentioned earlier in this survey.
Suggestion: Adobe for example has a forum where people can voice problems, ideas, feature requests. Other users can upvote good ideas.
If Pentax were to do something like this, users would feel connected to the company. Right now, it feels like Pentax is sitting behind a wall, communication is in one direction only.
08-20-2015, 09:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
2. In K3, Pentax changed the way how you switch between various information displays while in playback mode. On older Pentax bodies, the info button simply caused the camera to cycle between the different screens. Now, the info button brings up a pop-up menu, and you must select the desired screen using the 4-way pad or e-dial, and then confirm using the OK button.
How tedious, why the change? Reviews were annoyed by this, users in dicussion forums were annoyed by this. Well thought through user interfaces have always been a strength of Pentax. Ergonomics count more to me than anything else.
The menu method for playback displays is present on my K-30 as well, so it's been around for a while... and it's one of the only things I dislike compared to the Canon Rebel T3 it replaced. Thanks for the reminder, I'll put that on mine as well.

Ricoh does have a forum however (though I couldn't find how to get to it from Ricoh USA's website...??)

Last edited by Scintilla; 08-20-2015 at 09:25 AM.
08-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, just did the survey.

A lot of it was geared to the KS-2.

I can't decide whether they're just pushing that model,
as their only mid-range offering,
or whether they're looking for features to put
in an enthusiast mid-range DSLR (K-50 replacement)
that would appear (after the FF) in parallel to the KS line.
08-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just finished the survey... Hopefully this was done not just for spending some marketing funds... Pentax really needs to communicate more with customers. And in overall.
08-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Great. I never realized how much that bothered me before you pointed it out. Thanks!

Another similar gripe is that I love how my K10D has dedicated arrows to move the AF point. If I wanted to adjust WB, flash, etc. I had to press the Fn button first. The K-3 is opposite, there's a button in roughly the same place that switches between functions and arrows, but it's a toggle, not a one-time deal like the K10D.

08-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
HavelockV

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Just got an e-mail from Ricoh Imaging (US) with a link to a survey.
That is a good sign.

It seems to be the exact same Survey Pentax/Ricoh Europe had published 6 weeks ago.

Questionnaire K-S2 - RICOH IMAGING - European Hub Site

So they seem to run this globally not just in some local markets.
Considering where they come from this is next to a revolution. Next time maybe their local guys manage to do it all in parallel around the world.

The key is driving home the message that they should get more interactive in their communications and be more open to user suggestions which do not involve a lot of Investment (imagine the deliberate Limit of 30 seconds for shutter time. How difficult can it be to change that to 60 seconds or more?)
08-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Great. I never realized how much that bothered me before you pointed it out. Thanks!
You're welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Another similar gripe is that I love how my K10D has dedicated arrows to move the AF point. If I wanted to adjust WB, flash, etc. I had to press the Fn button first. The K-3 is opposite, there's a button in roughly the same place that switches between functions and arrows, but it's a toggle, not a one-time deal like the K10D.
And already you return the favour
The past days i've been considering upgrading from my K10D to the K3. Now thanks to you, i have another point that speaks against it.

Seriously, for me, screw ups like these in the handling of the camera go to the heart of using a camera. Much more important than 1 stop better high iso or other features that marketing thinks is important

Last edited by Bromberger; 08-20-2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: forgot a point :-)
08-20-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Might as well post my own write-in answers, and hope I haven't said anything too embarrassingly n00bish...

12. Do you have any specific requests (features/form/function) with respect to APSC (crop) sensored cameras by Pentax?
  • For information display modes during playback, using the INFO button to cycle through the modes instead of bringing up a menu would be very helpful.
  • Dedicated switch/button for Shake Reduction would be helpful.
  • Focus peaking is very nice, but its implementation could be better (colors other than white?).
  • Is there any chance we could get manual focus confirmation using focus points other than the center one?
  • I would use catch-in focus a lot more if it could be done with back-button AF (I don't know about other models, but on my K-30, I have to re-enable shutter button AF in order to use it).
  • If your patent for hybrid viewfinder technology could be used to bring aids like a histogram and focus peaking into a still-optical viewfinder on your APS-C cameras, that would be amazing.
  • Is it technically possible to have the light meter offer a mode for expose-to-the-right (ETTR), to ensure highlights are protected, rather than the usual metering for middle grey?
  • An affordable fast prime in the 28-30mm range would be VERY helpful (see question #14).

14. What are your thoughts on Pentax products? How do they compare (pros and cons) with respect to competitor products?

I love that Pentax offers so many features at the "mid-level" price point that nobody else does, such as IBIS, dual control wheels, pentaprism OVF with 100% coverage, weather sealing, and focus microadjustment. Also the ability to save raws as .DNG is big. I admit I have not used enough competitor products recently to have an informed opinion on this.
However, the lack of an affordable modern fast normal (on APS-C) lens is maddening -- especially from a company that has otherwise shown an admirable commitment to the crop format compared to Canon/Nikon. The FA 31 Ltd is unapologetically a premium product, leaving a huge gap between the DA 21 Ltd and the DA 35/2.4 (which isn't that fast). To get good comfortable indoor shots I need to use my Rokinon (Samyang) 35/1.4, which is big and heavy and lacks AF. The Sigma 30/1.4 fits, but it's said to have AF issues, and it's not a Pentax. Nikon (35/1.8), Samsung (30/2), Fujifilm (35/1.4, though a bit more expensive), and Olympus (25/1.8) all offer such lenses for their own systems -- so is there any chance we'll see a modern 28mm or 30mm prime from Pentax anytime soon, or is the 35/2.4 it for now?

Edit: I forgot, even Canon (with their appalling lack of serious EF-S lenses) has their EF 28/1.8 which, while not EF-S, is still of a reasonable enough size to be an option.

Last edited by Scintilla; 08-20-2015 at 10:57 AM.
08-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It's positive that they made this survey. They want to know if the K-S2 didn't take off because it's not a great camera, or if it's just not marketed well. I think it's not marketed well and it's actually a great and good looking camera. I don't see why anyone would choose the equivalent Nikon D5x00 over it, or the 70D, other than the lens offerings. Which is what I said in the survey, I think lenses are more important than cameras. Even though I know most people (soccer moms) don't think that way.

Thanks for pointing out that survey. I hope I'll be able to choose the color of my Q-S1
08-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I completed mine this morning.

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I'm very happy Ricoh is running this survey. It shows they're taking customer feedback seriously.
Actually, it doesn't show anything of the sort. Surveys like this are cheap and easy ways of giving the appearance of engagement. There is nothing to indicate "they're taking customer feedback seriously".
08-20-2015, 10:36 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
... Is it technically possible to have the light meter offer a mode for expose-to-the-right (ETTR), to ensure highlights are protected, rather than the usual metering for middle grey? ...
Now that would be very useful indeed for the kind of exposures I do (i.e. shoot raw and set 'correct' exposure in post).
08-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #14

Pentax doesn't listen. There is no way to get Pentax' attention on easy-to-fix problems like the ones i mentioned earlier in this survey.
Suggestion: Adobe for example has a forum where people can voice problems, ideas, feature requests. Other users can upvote good ideas.
If Pentax were to do something like this, users would feel connected to the company. Right now, it feels like Pentax is sitting behind a wall, communication is in one direction only.
Have you tried the Ricoh Community Forums? US Ricoh seems to be monitoring the posts there.

Home - RIAC Community
08-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #15
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
There is nothing to indicate "they're taking customer feedback seriously".
But at least they're doing it! We could give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm glad they've done this.

I said it would be nice to have better tethering, for all dslr cameras, as well as external battery grips, and more telephoto zoom/prime lenses.

Last edited by Imp; 08-20-2015 at 11:49 AM.