Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2015, 02:38 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is not a meaningful thread.

There is no real way for any one of us to know from Ricoh's published reports what is actually happening financially within Ricoh Imaging at the corporate level, nor (perhaps more importantly) at the Regional Asia, EU and NA levels where the marketing decisions are made the the marketing money is allocated. We can't know inventory levels, nor (more importantly) changes in inventory levels; we can't know personnel and changes thereto; we can't know capital allocations, nor changes in capital allocations; and most importantly, we can't know plans.

For all of that, Accounting Earnings are just that - Accounting Earnings. They often have little resemblance to actual cash money earned over a Fiscal Year (witness the confusion in this thread around inventory write downs and the San-Ai business change in status)..

It appears Pentax cameras are selling better than they were and that at least Pentax USA is doing better than it was a couple years ago, but there's just no way to know for certain.

08-22-2015, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #32
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Is any thread meaningful.....?
08-23-2015, 03:34 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Is any thread meaningful.....?
Or anything, come to that, other than the meaning human beings attach to abstractions like finances. And we all do, the occasional confusion notwithstanding.
08-23-2015, 05:45 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Or anything, come to that, other than the meaning human beings attach to abstractions like finances. And we all do, the occasional confusion notwithstanding.
Jeebus. All I was saying is we ought not argue about what we cannot know; just have faith in Ricoh - and everybody goes all Nietzche on me.

08-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jeebus. All I was saying is we ought not argue about what we cannot know; just have faith in Ricoh - and everybody goes all Nietzche on me.
There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach yer…

You've got to love a good Python ditty to put it all into perspective.
08-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm only responsible for the ideas expressed in the first post (and my posts which followed). That people posted "conclusions" contrary to the information provided, I can't control that
The thread had a meaning, briefly expressed in its title. I cannot offer hard data - one point I've made is that what we're seeing in those financial statements are quite useless - but I can transmit a bit of the (mild) optimism expressed by Mr. Daisuke Segawa. To make the waiting easier

(P.S. I don't accuse you for blaming me of anything)
08-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There's nothing Nietzsche couldn't teach yer…

You've got to love a good Python ditty to put it all into perspective.
Mr Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!'

08-23-2015, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have greatly enjoyed Pentax being doomed, and hope no one spoils it! When I first bought my DS the salesman told me I would be buying the last Pentax model ever.....I figured it would be a collector item...but it wasn't ..it was a wonderful camera! Then came the K10D and I got that, at the time everyone over on DPR was predicting the doom of Pentax, so I felt good to have the last Pentax for certain...and what a nice camera it was!
But damn it! I was fooled again when the K20D came out and made liars out of those I had trusted. The K20D was so solid and dependable, I was certain Pentax would see no need in ever producing any newer model? But.....then came the K5 with all that high ISO ability and fooled me again!

I now shoot with a K5IIs and am afraid to upgrade in the near future, not because Pentax is doomed, but because they are going to fool me again by making me think they are. The thrill of "Pentax Doomed" just isn't what it used to be after all these years of failed dooming.

Regards!
08-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Don't worry, Rupert - the FF will be the last Pentax ever made

(until the next model)
08-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When they printed Ricoh on the back of the K-3 some thought that Pentax was in the shadow of the Doom of Mordor.
08-23-2015, 03:56 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When they printed Ricoh on the back of the K-3 some thought that Pentax was in the shadow of the Doom of Mordor.
...and we all know how that turned out.
08-23-2015, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#1 reason I won't buy a FF...

No Ricoh on the back.
08-23-2015, 05:44 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

No Ricoh on the back.
So.. Ricoh saved the company from HOYA.. developed some new technology.. and nobody can know that they are the ones behind the projects, actually they are the owners?? i dont get this kind of thiking.. YES, we all love the Pentax stamped in our cameras, but come one.. Ricoh in the back of a camera is a reason for NOT BUYING a FF K-mount camera?? Thats too much.

In my case i care about K-Mount, and how the product performs to deliver images, not if it says RICOH or not.
08-23-2015, 06:28 PM   #44
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
So.. Ricoh saved the company from HOYA.. developed some new technology.. and nobody can know that they are the ones behind the projects, actually they are the owners?? i dont get this kind of thiking.. YES, we all love the Pentax stamped in our cameras, but come one.. Ricoh in the back of a camera is a reason for NOT BUYING a FF K-mount camera?? Thats too much.

In my case i care about K-Mount, and how the product performs to deliver images, not if it says RICOH or not.
He's kidding. ☺

There's a whole thread mocking that attitude about the K-3.
08-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

No Ricoh on the back.

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote

Yes.