Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 08:18 AM   #166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why, given a choice A7rII of Nikon D810, would I pick the Sony?
Has anyone told you you should buy a Sony?

08-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #167
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
more 'on hands' experience with rape&plunder than most of us
I trust you just speaking for yourself now, we Scots have been known to have our moments you know......
08-30-2015, 08:37 AM   #168
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It may be a dual announcement, high end FF and lower end FF, if that's what you mean.

---------- Post added 30-08-15 at 14:52 ----------

No, you're way too much arrogant. You got the truth and anyone,not agreeing with you is intolerant.LOL.

Your idea is alright. I never botched your idea. The price is fantasy though. A pity, but is fantasy IMO.

Btw, always acting Calimero is really annoying if anything else. Can't be an adult for 30 seconds?
Is it joke? Are you the source of TRUTH? )) It's pure fantasies - You criticize fantasies, it's absurd.
It's not business offer or suggestion. It's just idea. You can like it or dislike - and nothing else.
It's unreal to use the term TRUTH if you talk about somebody's dreams.
08-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #169
Moderator PEG Judges

I'm seeking a bit of reassurance for those in "the know".

Interchangeable screens for us fast older glass manual boys available from FF launch day?

Otherwise focusing gonna be difficult again.

08-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #170
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Interchangeable screens for us fast older glass manual boys available from FF launch day?
I don't expect a mountain of money to be delivered to my house before launch day, so this is mostly speculative sport for me. However, most of the pictures I take are of objects more than a few feet from me, and the limited older glass I have has a nice DOF, so I haven't had any issues getting it in focus on my K-30.
08-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote

This is exactly why the mirrorless solution is so attractive. Borrow an A7II or A7Rii and test the viewfinder magnified focus - it is almost like the old days with my MX.

Last edited by Mikesul; 08-30-2015 at 09:16 AM.
08-30-2015, 10:28 AM - 2 Likes   #172
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Borrow an A7II or A7Rii and test the viewfinder
I've waited this long for a FF Pentax, I'm just hoping for a bright finder with an interchangeable screen, designed for fast lenses like the SA23 Screen I used on my LX.
08-31-2015, 07:09 AM   #173
Pentaxian

I look at that chart, and I think the A7RII is a complete rip off. Because, my goal, like a lot of photogrpahers, is the absolute best image, period. Low light is a separate issue, and if I really want great low light, I'll pay for a 645z , A7s or D4s. Right tool for the job, and all that.

But what i want from my main camera is the ability to produce the absolute best image in the best situations. And the best image on the above chart is the D810 at 50 or 100 ISO.

Why, given a choice A7rII of Nikon D810, would I pick the Sony? No Sony image at any ƒstop if going to match the dynamic range of the D810 at 50 or 100 ISO. And since my most dramatic shots are sunsets and landscapes often with huge contrast variety, and need for details in both the highlights and the shadow, to me, the A7RII is simply an inferior camera. I'm hoping the Pentax will match the DR of the D810. The Sony is of no interest.

I'm not just speculating. I paid big bucks for my K-5, because the K-5 was stop better than my K20D. My wife was shooting K-5 , I was shooting k20d, and we shot a couple of sunsets where next to hers, my images were pretty much garbage. The K-3 has been a disappointment, in that it went backwards in DR, and though I love it for wildlife, I still own a K-5 for high DR situations. That is the camera I want an FF to replace. The high dynamic range, best image possible landscape camera. If I were buying today it would be for the D810, not the Sony, even though I'd have to buy all new glass.
I agree with you fully.

This is one of the many reasons I don't see a 42mp in the Pentax future. I still think it will be 36mp and a new version of the D810 sensor.

I picked up a D810 and I can say compared to my D800 I am blown away by it. Seriously, I thought I had a beyond amazing camera in my D800, but the D810 is eye wateringly better in every way, it's kind of ludicrous. My D800 has since gone up for sale, so I can finance the Pentax when it's released. I'm expecting similar/better performance out of the Pentax.

08-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #174
Pentaxian

I look at that chart, and I think the A7RII is a complete rip off. Because, my goal, like a lot of photogrpahers, is the absolute best image, period. Low light is a separate issue, and if I really want great low light, I'll pay for a 645z , A7s or D4s. Right tool for the job, and all that.

But what i want from my main camera is the ability to produce the absolute best image in the best situations. And the best image on the above chart is the D810 at 50 or 100 ISO.

Why, given a choice A7rII of Nikon D810, would I pick the Sony? No Sony image at any ƒstop if going to match the dynamic range of the D810 at 50 or 100 ISO. And since my most dramatic shots are sunsets and landscapes often with huge contrast variety, and need for details in both the highlights and the shadow, to me, the A7RII is simply an inferior camera. I'm hoping the Pentax will match the DR of the D810. The Sony is of no interest.

I'm not just speculating. I paid big bucks for my K-5, because the K-5 was stop better than my K20D. My wife was shooting K-5 , I was shooting k20d, and we shot a couple of sunsets where next to hers, my images were pretty much garbage. The K-3 has been a disappointment, in that it went backwards in DR, and though I love it for wildlife, I still own a K-5 for high DR situations. That is the camera I want an FF to replace. The high dynamic range, best image possible landscape camera. If I were buying today it would be for the D810, not the Sony, even though I'd have to buy all new glass.

No no no, the A7RII is never inferior. The K-7 was a disapointment, but almost anything that came with and after K-5 is never disapointed, but maybe some are better.
08-31-2015, 07:32 AM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The K-7 was a disapointment, .
then why do i have my k7 and k3 and NOT my k5 anymore?
the k7 is a very nice camera in its own right.
08-31-2015, 07:43 AM   #176
Pentaxian

No resale value for the K7 at the time ?
08-31-2015, 07:51 AM   #177
Pentaxian

who cares about resale, i like the k7 colours
08-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
Ya, you got me.... why? You didn't notice the drop off, in DR, K-5 to K-3?

I guess it really depends on what you shoot. I'm always amazed when I come back from a walk under the canopy and even though my K-3 gives me 13 EV DR, I've only used about 8. I have lots of room on both sides of the histogram. I guess for people who shoot like that all the time the DR isn't a big deal. I often walk many miles to be at the right location in the best light, to get the best image possible during a sunset or sunrise. In that circumstance, DR is critical. But it's quite possible people who don't shoot what I shoot can live without it. After all, there's hardly a Canon made that goes over 12 EV dynamic range... and though I know people who've switched because of that, an awful lot don't seem to even notice.

IN fact a couple of Canon buddies thrive on it. They love that style of photo where you have a leaf or something against a totally black background. A narrow DR sensor makes that easier to achieve.

You just have to go with what fits your style.
08-31-2015, 08:43 AM   #179
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with you, in that I would rather have good low iso than better dynamic range at iso over 800, but I wouldn't say that A7r II is a poor camera. It still has really good dynamic range, better high iso performance in dynamic range than the D810. DXO Mark gives the two sensors scores within 1 point of each other, meaning that as far as they are concerned, it is awash as to whether or not you would see a difference in real world shooting (shouldn't really see much difference with less than 5 points difference).

The other thing is that while dynamic range is a little better at higher iso, SNR is pretty equal, meaning noise levels would probably be pretty similar.

I don't know. We are used to big jumps from one generation of sensor to the next with regard to performance, but I am afraid we have reached the point where ekeing out a fraction of stop improvement in dynamic range at high iso is the best we can hope for.

---------- Post added 08-31-15 at 11:54 AM ----------

Ya, you got me.... why? You didn't notice the drop off, in DR, K-5 to K-3?

I guess it really depends on what you shoot. I'm always amazed when I come back from a walk under the canopy and even though my K-3 gives me 13 EV DR, I've only used about 8. I have lots of room on both sides of the histogram. I guess for people who shoot like that all the time the DR isn't a big deal. I often walk many miles to be at the right location in the best light, to get the best image possible during a sunset or sunrise. In that circumstance, DR is critical. But it's quite possible people who don't shoot what I shoot can live without it. After all, there's hardly a Canon made that goes over 12 EV dynamic range... and though I know people who've switched because of that, an awful lot don't seem to even notice.

IN fact a couple of Canon buddies thrive on it. They love that style of photo where you have a leaf or something against a totally black background. A narrow DR sensor makes that easier to achieve.

You just have to go with what fits your style.
I think you buy the K3 for everything but the sensor. Well, and a little better resolution at lower isos. The K3 is equivalent to a K-01 in terms of dynamic range and in most situations, that is adequate. There are few situations where 1 EV difference in dynamic range would get you over the top, although there certainly could be some. Most of the time, I bracket in the same situations with my K5 II that I would with my K3.
08-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #180

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
For me the reason to sell my K-5 over the K-7 would be the stupid quality control issues that K-5 had.
I have one of those K-5's with flying lens release button. The button seal has been long ago lost some where in Argentina.
I tried to fix the button itself to the camera with poor results until it was lost also - in Chile this time.
So I made my own button and now it has been working for couple of years - ugly and no weather sealing though.

The K-5 is still my backup camera (to K-3) and my wife use the K-7 whenever she accepts to join me to some trip.
K-7 in base ISO is not that bad. It doesn't obviously have the DR of K-5, but it handles as well in most situations if there´s enough light.

Will I buy a Pentax FF? Probably some day, but my budget this year and at beginning of the next one will not allow it.
Or maybe I wait until I can afford 645D or even 645Z and just forget the FF, who knows (my wife might).
Closed Thread