Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2015, 11:19 AM   #181
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
Or maybe I wait until I can afford 645D
Just curious what would be an acceptable price for you for a nice 645D with about 1500 shutter count??

Higher or lower than what is expected of a new FF??

I have a 645D, and absolutely love it, and the size of that thing does not bother me at all for the type of shooting I do. When the FF comes out, depending on how much it will be, there will be an interesting dilemma for me. Files by D810 that I have seen are quite impressive, and if the new Pentax FF is anywhere near that, my goodness I am willing to perhaps let go of 645D, but probably not. I love MF, and all that lenses I have bought for it . . . . The again I have my FA ltds just waiting to be mounted on the new FF.

Interesting times.

08-31-2015, 11:44 AM   #182
Site Supporter

I'm your mate Fontan...
Waiting to see what comes out of the FF and ready to get rid of my 645D + 645NII with 10 lenses....
In my opinion we might be quite a lot with the same temptation.
RICOH already "failed" in my eyes with DA 645 format and no fast MF lenses.
Not enough differenciation with 35mm to date .

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-31-2015 at 12:06 PM.
08-31-2015, 12:01 PM   #183

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Just curious what would be an acceptable price for you for a nice 645D with about 1500 shutter count??

Higher or lower than what is expected of a new FF??
I have not given that much thought to it as I have no budget at all for this year and first half of the next one.
But it depends a lot also of what the new FF brings with it. If it is really good and enables close to 645D quality photos, then I probably get the FF some day instead.
If it's going to be close to 645Z, then there's no question - FF it will be as I would not need to get that many new lenses either.
Although my MF lens collection would be quite limited. Only wide to short tele range primes for landscapes. I'd keep K-3 or any newer APS-C for wildlife and ladscape details.

Maybe we know enough after October 6th to make some decisions. Then there will be only a financial problem left. :-(
08-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #184
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
645D would not do it cost wise but 645NII, I'm ready for it

09-01-2015, 12:26 PM   #185
Site Supporter

Just a little bit more than one month to go and still no further rumors that contain any more or less credible news about the Pentax FF? And the new 24-70mm lens...
Frustrating

Actually what I'm still most interested in is whether there will be any sort of EVF or Hybrid Viewfinder or do we still see the classical OVF?

Some suggested that it may well be that Pentax will introduce a hybrid Viewfinder. Will it be the "one more thing"? Or is it just individual wishful thinking?
I seriously consider buying a Fuji X-T1 just for the EVF, however, I'd love to use my FA Limiteds on a Pentax FF Body that also features any sort of advance Viewfinder (histogram, WYSIWG etc.).
09-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #186
Site Supporter

On a mirror less I don't care if they put electronic/hybrid view finder on, but they better not mess with the DSLR models, optical all the way
09-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I'm your mate Fontan...
Waiting to see what comes out of the FF and ready to get rid of my 645D + 645NII with 10 lenses....
In my opinion we might be quite a lot with the same temptation.
RICOH already "failed" in my eyes with DA 645 format and no fast MF lenses.
Not enough differenciation with 35mm to date .
Well for me it is not a matter lenses. Yes I agree with you that Pentax has not put out any "fast" MF lenses, but for me fast lenses for MF is a bit of an oxymoron anyway. I shoot landscapes and portraits, and I just don't have a need for fast lenses, and not that strange to me that Pentax has never bothered to put them out.

In terms of selection yes it is kind lame that the options are somewhat limited, especially if you need AF - but I don't have a need there either. I am fine with manual focusing. So as I went about looking for lenses that I need, I could fulfill my needs with legacy or Hasselblad mount lenses. For example, I have a Hassy Carl Zeiss Planar T* 110 / 2, and it is to me just magic. Another one of favorites is Pentax 67 165 / 2.8; just an incredible lens. Also 67 35/4.5 Fish eye is just superb for landscaping with a bit of "twist." I do have DFA 55/2.8 for goof around lens, and few more A lenses like 120 macro, but I just don't have the desire to beef up my lens arsenal when it comes to MF.

My temptation comes from the fact that the sensor performance of the upcoming FF will come close or even outperform(?) that of 645D. Hard to imagine that, but if D810 files are of any indication at all, combined with FA ltds makes it just too salivating. But then I look at 645z files and I feel like I can match them with my 645D given the right situation. Yes if I am shooting in the dark it will be difficult, but in most situation i think I can come pretty close.

Then the question is the issue of portability. Is it that important??

Hard for me to know at the moment.
09-01-2015, 01:50 PM   #188
Site Supporter

Now I get what all the October 6 hype is about! McDonald's starts offering all-day breakfast nationwide!

McDonald?s Set to Offer All-Day Breakfast - WSJ

October 6 may be full of frames, but I will be full of McGriddles!

09-01-2015, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #189
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reytor Quote
I have not given that much thought to it as I have no budget at all for this year and first half of the next one.
But it depends a lot also of what the new FF brings with it. If it is really good and enables close to 645D quality photos, then I probably get the FF some day instead.
If it's going to be close to 645Z, then there's no question - FF it will be as I would not need to get that many new lenses either.
Although my MF lens collection would be quite limited. Only wide to short tele range primes for landscapes. I'd keep K-3 or any newer APS-C for wildlife and ladscape details.

Maybe we know enough after October 6th to make some decisions. Then there will be only a financial problem left. :-(

EXC Pentax 645D 40 0 MP Digital SLR Camera in Box 0721 2 027075183841 | eBay

Well it can be had for about $3,000 US, although this one has about 6,000 shutter count.

I imagine new FF will cost north of this. In that case if it makes for anybody to buy an used 645d, not unless you own 645 compatible lenses, of that you just like MF, like I do. For those of us who like the "look" of MF, in some ways this just may make sense more so than buying a new 645z, really. Very interesting.

I do feel that comparing MF and FF is like comparing apples and oranges in some says. Or I maybe saying that to have an excuse to buy a FF body since I have FF ltds already.

But then, for me, right now I can buy an used Leica monochrom the older version for about $4000. I probably would rather have that than Pentax FF.

Very interesting times.
09-01-2015, 08:54 PM   #190
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
EXC Pentax 645D 40 0 MP Digital SLR Camera in Box 0721 2 027075183841 | eBay

Well it can be had for about $3,000 US, although this one has about 6,000 shutter count.

I imagine new FF will cost north of this. In that case if it makes for anybody to buy an used 645d, not unless you own 645 compatible lenses, of that you just like MF, like I do. For those of us who like the "look" of MF, in some ways this just may make sense more so than buying a new 645z, really. Very interesting.

I do feel that comparing MF and FF is like comparing apples and oranges in some says. Or I maybe saying that to have an excuse to buy a FF body since I have FF ltds already.

But then, for me, right now I can buy an used Leica monochrom the older version for about $4000. I probably would rather have that than Pentax FF.

Very interesting times.
If one counts on the photo quality more than others, Pentax FF is definitely better than 645D or Leica monochrom. If one wants collection, it is a different story!
09-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #191
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
If one counts on the photo quality more than others, Pentax FF is definitely better than 645D or Leica monochrom. If one wants collection, it is a different story!
How do you define "photo quality?" I am a bit curious. Are you implying from the standpoint of pixel peeping? Some of the pictures I have shot with my M8 are "better" than some taken by my 645d. The photo quality I think about does not entirely rely on equipments. In fact, they play rather a minor role at times.
09-02-2015, 12:10 AM   #192
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The full frame will be here soon ... all of the three amigos (plus other FF lenses +) have increased in price in France as of the beginning of the month ... without looking at my old notes nor crunching the numbers, it looks like a 20% to up to 35% increases ... the 31 is now 1498.00 !!! (Insane price point)

Objectifs fixes Pentax | Vente objectifs Pentax pas cher, garanti 2 ans | Photo Univers
09-02-2015, 05:44 AM   #193
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
it looks like a 20% to up to 35% increases
Exchange rate changes? Tax changes?

Not seeing any such effect where I am.
09-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #194
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Exchange rate changes? Tax changes?

Not seeing any such effect where I am.
No ... I take that post back.

I think now that my local B&M store/website (Photo Univers) has gone nuts. I just checked with the French mail order stores like "DigitPhoto" and "Miss Numerique" and their prices are much lower than "Photo Univers" plus near the historical price levels that I recall at the moment. There's even a sale near 20% off sale on certain Pentax lenses ...

The FA 31 at DigitPhoto is 1157€ and the FA 77 is 839€ ... whereas at my B&M, Photo Univers, they are 1498€ and 1049€ !!! Plus the price of the FA 43 went up by about 250€ ... I was thinking about getting a new one, but never at their current price of 799€.

I need to go by the local store and ask a few questions ... this is really weird because Photo Univers was hard to beat on most Pentax prices or would match any competition. Maybe those days are history ... or maybe they just gone slightly crazy.

Sorry for maybe a false alert here ... c'est la vie.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 09-02-2015 at 07:03 AM.
09-02-2015, 06:59 AM   #195
Loyal Site Supporter

Given asahi man says Japan inventory of the classic FA Limiteds has been entirely pushed out to the regional operating companies / distributors, perhaps PhotoUnivers has exhausted its own inventory of FA Lims and would need to order them from Pentax EU to get more - thus in their individual case you are seeing rational scarcity pricing.
Closed Thread