Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I can't put my finger on it, but I think you missed something(s).
Yeah, probably. But I am quite sure someone will complain about it even if I forgot to list it.

On the other hand, the 150-450 seems to be almost completely free of complaints. No whining, no complaining, just great pictures. So it is possible (not likely but possible) that the FF will also have a stunning lack of complaints.

09-15-2015, 04:18 PM   #272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
... So it is possible (not likely but possible) that the FF will also have a stunning lack of complaints.
I doubt it. I think people have such high expectations for this new camera that if it flat-out doesn't blow them away and meet everyone's (different) expectations that some will be disappointed.
09-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #273
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What happens to the FF Forum when the FF camera finally arrives? What about Pentax News and Rumors?
I have come to the conclusion that most ppl in that section don't want real answers.

Made up ones and "what it could have beens" are more interesting during the cold bleak months.

Not to mention, free.
09-15-2015, 05:39 PM   #274
Pentaxian

20 days to go

09-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I doubt it. I think people have such high expectations for this new camera that if it flat-out doesn't blow them away and meet everyone's (different) expectations that some will be disappointed.
Sad. but most likely very true.
09-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somebody predicted exactly this last April. And the expectation curve gets parabolic right at the end - so the most ridiculous speculations are yet to come.
09-15-2015, 08:09 PM - 2 Likes   #277
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Shouldn't people have high expectations? Ricoh bought Pentax 4 years ago. 4 years of watching what Canon, Nikon, and Sony were doing and what was working, and what was not working. 4 years to design 1 camera. Yes. The expectations are high. The market doesn't reward average.

09-15-2015, 09:30 PM   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
the most ridiculous speculations are yet to come
Can they get any worse?
09-15-2015, 09:45 PM   #279
Veteran Member

Can they get any worse?
That sounds like a challenge to me...
09-15-2015, 09:52 PM   #280
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Can they get any worse?
Oh yeah. That will be fun to watch
* grabs popcorn *
09-16-2015, 01:05 AM   #281
Pentaxian

Probably some will have high expectations and will complain if they don't see what they wanted to see. Others I guess will be people who will put a brand down particularly if they have had a bad experience. Some will just be there to criticize for the sake of criticism or they really have nothing good to say. And of course the trolls will always be present.
09-16-2015, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #282
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Shouldn't people have high expectations? Ricoh bought Pentax 4 years ago. 4 years of watching what Canon, Nikon, and Sony were doing and what was working, and what was not working. 4 years to design 1 camera. Yes. The expectations are high. The market doesn't reward average.
The biggest problem is that people will have high expectations with the dual belief that Pentax should release the coming camera at or below 2000 dollars. You can't have both. If you want a D600 price, you get a D600-ish camera from Pentax. I would rather have something more D810/A7r II like, even if that means the price is 2800 or even 3000. The coming lenses for this camera are also going to be pretty pricey.

But people love to complain. The camera doesn't have an EVF, it is too big, it is too small, battery life isn't long enough, it has too many megapixels (or too few), the files are too big. It's sports score on DXO Mark is 35 points less than the A7s. The video is crap. There is no mechanical SR with the video. The auto focus doesn't work in video mode.

For me personally, I want a solid camera that takes really good still photographs and has excellent auto focus (and tracking), good low light capability.
09-16-2015, 03:06 AM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For me personally, I want a solid camera that takes really good still photographs and has excellent auto focus (and tracking), good low light capability.
It is clear for me that a lot of people will change the ship if the new full frame will not satisfy their expectations. And I think it's a natural thing to do.

I'm in the same situation... Autofocus is also important for me, but at the same time, if they go for lots of megapixels and high ISO capability will suffer, then I will have to look at our neighbors (Canon or Nikon). Their main advantage is that they let you chose from a lot of full frames available:
- Canon 6D, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 1Dx, Canon 5Ds
- Nikon D610, Nikon D750, Nikon D810, Nikon Df, Nikon D4s

I'm also curious how old lenses from Pentax will perform with the new full frame. Except for a few new lenses, we still depending on the old ones.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-16-2015 at 04:06 AM.
09-16-2015, 03:10 AM   #284
pid
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
... me too!
09-16-2015, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #285
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
... but at the same time, if they go for lots of megapixels and high ISO capability will suffer, then I will have to look at our neighbours ...
I've never understood that weird MP vs. high ISO notion. The Sony a7R II has twice the resolution of the A7 II and still a much better high ISO performance. The 36 MP Nikon D810 has only a marginally (i.e. invisible in the real world) worse high ISO performance than the 24 MP and newer Nikon D750. Same applies for the 16 MP Nikon D4s, no relevant high ISO difference compared to the D810 or D800.

So it's not a simple 'less MP = better high ISO' equation. In practice, you can have both.

Plus, the theory is flawed in the first place. Smaller pixels will produce less advantageous signal-to-noise ratios, meaning more visible noise, but because the pixels are smaller the noise will be more fine-grained and thus less annoying, when comparing images at equivalent resolutions (100% view is not an appropriate way to compare images of different resolutions). And you can always apply stronger noise reduction in PP, because with more detail in the image you can also afford to lose more of it compared to a lower-resolution sensor.
Closed Thread