Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony news from Korea

Although it doesn't actually say so, I've been told that this article is about Sony's plans in South Korea only.
Sony aims to beat Canon, Nikon in full-frame camera market
Nonetheless, I wonder how these plans, this thinking, would affect Sony's relationships with Pentax and Nikon.

08-29-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Nikon has also other sources for sensors and maybe Pentax is just to small to worry about.
08-29-2015, 04:55 PM   #3
CDW
Site Supporter

Who else manufactures full frame CMOS sensors with the performance capabilities of the SONY line up? Canon obviously makes their own. I'm not aware of any full frame sensors from Toshiba or Samsung.
08-29-2015, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
Who else manufactures full frame CMOS sensors with the performance capabilities of the SONY line up?
Aptina? Renesas Semiconductor? both may have been used by Nikon.

08-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Who else manufactures full frame CMOS sensors with the performance capabilities of the SONY line up? Canon obviously makes their own. I'm not aware of any full frame sensors from Toshiba or Samsung.
Samsung has made sensors as large as 36mm x 36mm for prototypes. Renesas makes the FF sensor for the D700, D3, D3s, D4, & D4s.

Its not a big deal to make a FF sensor these days. That is why the price has fallen significantly over the past few years.
08-29-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Leica is at this time using new performing FF sensors made by an undisclosed company, after some partnership with ST microelectronics. This new contractor is said to be "Leica exclusive".
Leica is having great ambitions too in the wake of the recent and excellent Q : an all new FF autofocussed EVIL product line is to be launched very soon... That should help them leaving their former "niche player" status.
Btw, i see this initiative as a serious comming concurrence for FF DSLR makers... even more than Sony's ambitions.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-29-2015 at 07:49 PM.
08-29-2015, 08:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
would affect Sony's relationships with Pentax and Nikon
No where in the linked article does anyone from Sony say they are keeping their sensor technology to themselves. Earlier this year, Sony released a global strategy for the future which pegged sensor manufacturing as a high growth industry that will receive significant capital investment and relegated finished cameras to the cash cow category with a focus on increasing margins without major capital investment. Withholding FF sensors from other manufacturers of finished cameras is completely at odds with Sony's stated strategy. Owners of current Sony cameras should be asking themselves if their chosen brand of camera will be competitive with cameras from other manufacturers in five years.

08-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm thinking in terms of the dilemma faced by the Sony electronics division, which is similar to the dilemma faced by OPEC. OPEC wants to keep prices low enough to put US/Canadian producers back on the sidelines, but members like Venezuela need prices higher than that to meet their domestic income needs. Likewise, Sony Electronics wants to help Sony Camera meet some rather lofty goals without losing the income from external customers, competitors who could keep Sony Camera from reaching those lofty goals, because that external income is currently needed to help the corporation regain their financial footing.

---------- Post added 08-29-15 at 11:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
No where in the linked article does anyone from Sony say they are keeping their sensor technology to themselves. Earlier this year, Sony released a global strategy for the future which pegged sensor manufacturing as a high growth industry that will receive significant capital investment and relegated finished cameras to the cash cow category with a focus on increasing margins without major capital investment. Withholding FF sensors from other manufacturers of finished cameras is completely at odds with Sony's stated strategy.
That is one half of their dilemma - keeping income rolling in from Nikon and Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Owners of current Sony cameras should be asking themselves if their chosen brand of camera will be competitive with cameras from other manufacturers in five years.
That is the other half of their dilemma. Their goals in this area are more lofty than some of us had realized - according to this article, they want to be more than competitive in the upcoming years.
08-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #9
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Leica is at this time using new performing FF sensors made by an undisclosed company, after some partnership with ST microelectronics. This new contractor is said to be "Leica exclusive".
Leica is having great ambitions too in the wake of the recent and excellent Q : an all new FF autofocussed EVIL product line is to be launched very soon... That should help them leaving their former "niche player" status.
Btw, i see this initiative as a serious comming concurrence for FF DSLR makers... even more than Sony's ambitions.
Undisclosed, but I think it's the same manufacturer as made M240's sensor - CMOSIS. If they produce 24*36 mm sensor, no any problem to produce 30*45 mm.
08-30-2015, 12:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Undisclosed, but I think it's the same manufacturer as made M240's sensor - CMOSIS. If they produce 24*36 mm sensor, no any problem to produce 30*45 mm.
CMOSIS are a fabless company. They designed the Leica M's (Type 240) sensor and STMicroelectronics manufacture it.
08-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Samsung has made sensors as large as 36mm x 36mm for prototypes. Renesas makes the FF sensor for the D700, D3, D3s, D4, & D4s.

Its not a big deal to make a FF sensor these days. That is why the price has fallen significantly over the past few years.
Renesas manufactures them. They are, officially at least Nikon designs AFAICT (though I have some doubts about Nikon PR on this).
08-30-2015, 01:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Another interpretation of this Sony Korea interview, is that Sony "kiks Samsung's .ss" - not even speaking of them whilst there is no Samsung FF - where the korean giant announced they would become "The major player" in photog industry about 5 years ago. And they failled.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-30-2015 at 01:46 AM.
08-30-2015, 02:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If Sony drives up the price or down the supply of FF sensors, I'm sure both Toshiba and Samsung are more then happy to make and sell FF sensors to Pentax and Nikon. The reason they don't do that at the moment is that Sony have good performance at prices they cant compete with. Toshiba and Samsung both have the technology to make good FF sensors and it would probably take less then a year to scale up one of their other sensors to FF and ramp up production.
08-30-2015, 03:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Another interpretation of this Sony Korea interview, is that Sony "kiks Samsung's .ss" - not even speaking of them whilst there is no Samsung FF - where the korean giant announced they would become "The major player" in photog industry about 5 years ago. And they failled.
I reckon this is on the money. I'm sure that Sony doesn't give a damn if Pentax produces bodies that are bit nicer than theirs six months after they've released a sensor. Samsung, on the other hand, is a genuine rival from their point of view.
08-30-2015, 03:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
If Sony drives up the price or down the supply of FF sensors, I'm sure both Toshiba and Samsung are more then happy to make and sell FF sensors to Pentax and Nikon. The reason they don't do that at the moment is that Sony have good performance at prices they cant compete with. Toshiba and Samsung both have the technology to make good FF sensors and it would probably take less then a year to scale up one of their other sensors to FF and ramp up production.
It is now more than 10 years that Canon tries but fails catching up with Sony - see DxO measurements. So i am not so optimistic as you here.