Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

WOW....Pentax is really starting to make waves

Sorry if this article has been posted before. I did search here and in the MF area but couldn't see it:

The Pentax 645z Is the Best Still Camera I’ve Ever Used | Resource Magazine

They must be starting to worry the big boys with reviews like that!!!!!

08-31-2015, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
They must be starting to worry the big boys with reviews like that!!!!!
The "big boys" cater to a different audience. I think Pentax has struck gold within the 645Z's market segment, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-31-2015, 07:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Read the review. I think there will be more than a handful of people trade their 1D/D4 in on the back of it.....

Great to see such glowing comments :-)
08-31-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

No surprise that so many of Pentax's recent FB activity relates to the 645Z. I think it's probably their biggest money-maker at the moment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

The guy loved it, but Ricoh didn't let him keep it. Wat wid dat?
08-31-2015, 07:43 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
No surprise that so many of Pentax's recent FB activity relates to the 645Z. I think it's probably their biggest money-maker at the moment.
Agreed. Although I can't afford one right now, it's good for all of us if Pentax is profitable and selling well.

They aren't doomed......HOORAY!

---------- Post added 09-01-15 at 12:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I guess that's the rules of the game with tests. You don't make much money by giving stuff away....

By the sound of it he'll probably buy himself one anyway.
08-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Excellent review, but I think he sells the lens lineup a bit short. There are 16 lenses (including 6 zooms and one macro) listed on the current 645 roadmap, with two more zooms due soon. Although that's not CaNikon DSLR comparable, it's still a pretty extensive selection.
08-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #8

Journalists/reviewers that hog the kit they are reviewing long after they have been evaluated are known as "loan tarts". He could probably negotiate a discounted price if he really wanted to own it.

08-31-2015, 08:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Excellent review, but I think he sells the lens lineup a bit short. There are 16 lenses (including 6 zooms and one macro) listed on the current 645 roadmap, with two more zooms due soon. Although that's not CaNikon DSLR comparable, it's still a pretty extensive selection.
Good point Paul. As the reviewer said (and Adam also pointed out), the 645z seems to be wowing people but not in a lense sense. I'm sure anyone interested would look at the lense selection. And as you say, there's more in the pipeline.

Finally, it's exciting to be a Pentax owner, and not just 'second best'.
08-31-2015, 10:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Because it would de facto ruins the objectivity of the review.
09-01-2015, 03:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the 645Z is a specialized tool that is pretty awesome for those applications it excels at. It probably isn't the best sports or wildlife camera, but for portraiture or landscapes, even with the newest cameras out there, it probably can't be beat.

The thing about current Full Frame cameras is that they are more usable in a variety of situations, do have better auto focus, but if I was shooting landscape, this is the camera I would want over a D810 or a 5Ds.
09-01-2015, 03:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Poit Quote
Good point Paul. As the reviewer said (and Adam also pointed out), the 645z seems to be wowing people but not in a lense sense. I'm sure anyone interested would look at the lense selection. And as you say, there's more in the pipeline.

Finally, it's exciting to be a Pentax owner, and not just 'second best'.
It depends what you are comparing the lens selection to. I took a look at Hasselblad current lens selection. Not exactly the same line up, but its counts 12. Phase One counts 20.

Personally I'm very fascinated by the 645Z, but its way out of my budget and I would miss both in camera SR, f/1,4 primes and f/2,8 zooms if i had the budget for it. The upcoming FF fits my wants and budget better.
09-01-2015, 03:10 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because it would de facto ruins the objectivity of the review.
Agreed! I always suspect reviews in which a company gives the reviewer the product.
09-01-2015, 03:16 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter

There are 16 645 format lenses in Pentax's current catalogue.
See here :
The PENTAX 645 lenses / PENTAX 645Z Special site | RICOH IMAGING
Problem n°1 is that two of them (btw, the latest) are not covering full 645 frame. And that is a first difference with Hasselblad. A strategic mistake imho.
Problem n°2 is that none of this lenses is faster than f/2.8 : hence no DOF advantage when compared (for the current 33x44mm sensor) to 35mm.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-01-2015 at 04:58 AM.
09-01-2015, 03:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The "big boys" cater to a different audience. I think Pentax has struck gold within the 645Z's market segment, though!
+1. Let's hope Ricoh can do the same with FF.