Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2008, 03:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Speculation on what might be next for each major manufacturer.

Pentax
We have heard talk of a new pro level camera in the works. The next big offering from Pentax is likely to have improved noise levels and include a full-frame sensor from Samsung.:confused:

06-19-2008, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yup still waiting :P
06-19-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon & Nikon are hung up on numbers. They like numbers that tell people their camera is best. So both will do one or more of about 4 things. More fps, more pixels, more dynamic range, or higher ISO.

Sony will do above in new pro camera, and come out with some new feature in their lesser dslrs. Feature will definetly have a snazzy name.

Olympus will come up with a removable wireless live view lcd.

Samsung will bring out a dslr with GPS in it. Not only will it tag your pics it
will also function as a real GPS so you don't get lost in the boonies.

Pentax will bring out live view in the viewfinder and a way to image stabilize a moving subject.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
06-20-2008, 01:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nikon D90 Specifications Revealed This article is quite amusing.

06-20-2008, 01:44 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Pentax will bring out live view in the viewfinder
what is the point of that? that is absolutely ridiculous and rather redundant.
06-20-2008, 03:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
what is the point of that? that is absolutely ridiculous and rather redundant.
Maybe yes, maybe no. Although the thought of an EVF replacing a pentaprism viewfinder is absolutely horrendous, an EVF coupled with always-on Live view would make the mirror box redundant. But then it would no longer be an SLR, it would be an oversized advanced point and shoot camera with interchangeable lenses and a big sensor.

I thought of that AGES ago.
06-20-2008, 03:55 AM   #7
Banned

yes but I thought the point of live view was to not have to look into a viewfinder? that is how I see it as redundant. I have already made my stance on doing away with the parts that make an SLR and SLR, so I wont further comment on that.

06-20-2008, 03:59 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
haha the uVR bit was hilarious, 'nikon recommends wearing rubber soled shoes.'
06-20-2008, 04:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe yes, maybe no. Although the thought of an EVF replacing a pentaprism viewfinder is absolutely horrendous, an EVF coupled with always-on Live view would make the mirror box redundant. But then it would no longer be an SLR, it would be an oversized advanced point and shoot camera with interchangeable lenses and a big sensor.
Maybe THAT is better than dSLR in more than one way
06-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #10
Banned

well I wouldn't be buying one, that just one more way to complicate and drive up the cost of the camera, as well as add more possibilities of problems. I see no reason to replace an optical viewfinder with an EVF, it simply makes no sense. I can understand the limited use of live view even if I don't care for it but and EVF just seems utterly ridiculous. what if that EVF fails? what then, am I supposed to go around using my camera like a point and shoot, holding it a foot in front of my face? yea not for me.
06-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One could write one for Pentax as well
06-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I dislike EVFs. Just do.
06-20-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well I have a obsolete Nikon Coolpix 5700 that has an electronic viewfinder. It is pretty hopeless. There is image lag, there is no 3D depth perception and it feels like watching a mini TV screen.
06-20-2008, 06:45 AM   #14
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Well I have a obsolete Nikon Coolpix 5700 that has an electronic viewfinder. It is pretty hopeless. There is image lag, there is no 3D depth perception and it feels like watching a mini TV screen.
and I would want that on my camera why?

I know the technology could be improved but some things cannot, and watching a tiny lcd screen in my viewfinder is just not going to cut it.
06-20-2008, 05:22 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never said the slr viewfinder would be replaced . It will have both in the same viewfinder.
An lcd panel will lay on top of the focusing screen. When you go to live view it will show up in the finder - like a P&S. When you turn live view off it will work as an slr. The live view screen will be transparent when not used. Minolta used this in their Maxxum AF 35mm slrs. It allowed a lot of info to be shown on the screen. Nikon used it on the D70 dslr. We are taking it a step further by showing a full image. Pentax has patents for this technology.

There are a few different ways to implement this tech. One part of live views use is to not use the viewfinder. It isn't the only part.

uses I can think of:

1. Allows nearly silent shooting to match the SDM lenses (mirror can be locked up).

2. Allows vibration free shooting with out mirror lockup caused blackout. We have this now if we use current live view held out in front of us. Much
easier to use finder.

3. Allows much higher FPS. Look at K20D - 21FPS in live view.

4. Allows reviewing photos in viewfinder under bright sun. Imagine taking
shots and reviewing them without moving away from the viewfinder.

5. In B&W mode allows previsualization of scene for a better idea of the
finished photo.

Sure there are more. Imagine a dslr that can be switched between slr and live view without ever taking the camera from your eye. Camera would still have live view on rear lcd too. You can do so many more things with electronics.
Slrs show you how the lens interprets a subject. Live view will also show you how the sensor interprets it.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.