Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #16
Inactive Account

My pocket camera is a Ricoh GX100 with the detacheable EVF. Due to a tremor I can't hold a camera out in front me at arms length, even with stabilization. The EVF is so hopeless that I just stopped using it. It came very close to ruining what is otherwise a very nice camera. I now use it with a 50 year old Contax turret finder in the hot shoe. It's almost as heavy as the whole camera, it doesn't show info, but it's bright, sharp and matches the lens focal lengths pretty well.

Regards, gerry

06-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Just some the things played with today and for the rest of the summer. Its about 36 by 24, a supurb 1.6x for the older ones, and 24 something. It's not a boy toy for a cougar but it did wake me up at 6:45 in the morning with a FULL cup of coffee and the view of a wonderful sunrise over Lake Saint Clair through the frame of my picture window.

Last edited by WendyB; 06-20-2008 at 09:06 PM.
06-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Just some the things played with today and for the rest of the summer. Its about 36 to 24, a supurb 1.6x, and 24 something. It's not a boy toy for a cougar but it did wake me up at 6:45 in the morning with a FULL cup of coffee and the view of a wonderful sunrise over Lake Saint Clair through the frame of my picture window.
Nice.. so it isn't dead like many speculated.
06-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Always fun to speculate, though think I’ll wait till Photokina to get some more firm ideas. Don’t know how much to put in these Pop Photo speculations

06-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Don’t know how much to put in these Pop Photo speculations
This is old news to our forum. It dates back from an interview with a Samsung manager.

As for the EVF:

It was a joke made by barondla: "Pentax will bring out live view in the viewfinder and a way to image stabilize a moving subject."

Stabilize a moving subject

Har har har
06-21-2008, 09:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I never said the slr viewfinder would be replaced . It will have both in the same viewfinder.
An lcd panel will lay on top of the focusing screen. When you go to live view it will show up in the finder - like a P&S. When you turn live view off it will work as an slr. The live view screen will be transparent when not used. Minolta used this in their Maxxum AF 35mm slrs. It allowed a lot of info to be shown on the screen. Nikon used it on the D70 dslr. We are taking it a step further by showing a full image. Pentax has patents for this technology.

There are a few different ways to implement this tech. One part of live views use is to not use the viewfinder. It isn't the only part.

uses I can think of:

1. Allows nearly silent shooting to match the SDM lenses (mirror can be locked up).

2. Allows vibration free shooting with out mirror lockup caused blackout. We have this now if we use current live view held out in front of us. Much
easier to use finder.

3. Allows much higher FPS. Look at K20D - 21FPS in live view.

4. Allows reviewing photos in viewfinder under bright sun. Imagine taking
shots and reviewing them without moving away from the viewfinder.

5. In B&W mode allows previsualization of scene for a better idea of the
finished photo.

Sure there are more. Imagine a dslr that can be switched between slr and live view without ever taking the camera from your eye. Camera would still have live view on rear lcd too. You can do so many more things with electronics.
Slrs show you how the lens interprets a subject. Live view will also show you how the sensor interprets it.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST 7 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #8. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.
You forgot digital preview (exposure and DOF) and 100% coverage, plus customizable overlays for framing.
06-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Just some the things played with today and for the rest of the summer. Its about 36 by 24, a supurb 1.6x for the older ones, and 24 something. It's not a boy toy for a cougar but it did wake me up at 6:45 in the morning with a FULL cup of coffee and the view of a wonderful sunrise over Lake Saint Clair through the frame of my picture window.
A 24x36 frame camera with 645 bayonet seems odd.
They could have made the sensor 26x38, with just marginal expense, and a forever advantage over Canon Nikon and Sony.

06-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Bah! I wanted a pro-spec'd K-mount body.
06-23-2008, 01:06 PM   #24
ibk
Forum Member

Well, what IF they make a 645D with 24x36 sensor (which is 1.6x) AND K-mount body with 24x36...
This seems very unbelievable, but WHAT IF?
06-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I think reserving the pro market for medium format cameras is a terrible thing. I MIGHT be able to afford a pro-spec body if I saved for about 2 years. But a pro-body AND an entirely new system? :\

That 1.6x crop makes me think it'll be a 35mm "full frame" sensor and a crop mode for the current DA lineup.
06-25-2008, 10:01 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Bah! I wanted a pro-spec'd K-mount body.
Unfortunatly but actually to move technology forward to FF the K mount will still be "totally" facilitated and included. Pentax/Hoya takes extreme pride in forward technology which includes the K mount lens road map. May I also add the full range of A's and M's.

A correction factor mount for FF with the K's is still in the works and is quickly being resolved. From what is in my hands right now its a wonderful place to be. I am just taking pictures and reporting the results. I also shoot C and N's best offerings for comparison within this process.

If I were involved with either C or N's upper management I would be in shock of what Pentax FF has to offer. Oly might as well just take a 4/3'ds dump in the backyard. Even on a Pro level it even makes the price reasonable for the enthusiasts.

For those that have have shot in the 645 format they will understand this.

Please don't ask, I wont answer, pay very close attention to this forum.

Wendy

Last edited by WendyB; 06-25-2008 at 11:00 PM.
06-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I think reserving the pro market for medium format cameras is a terrible thing. I MIGHT be able to afford a pro-spec body if I saved for about 2 years. But a pro-body AND an entirely new system? :\

That 1.6x crop makes me think it'll be a 35mm "full frame" sensor and a crop mode for the current DA lineup.
There is no crop factor. Plain and simple. Read and learn. 1.6x means something else. They are not talking medium format, they are engineering and doing , including setting standards for the future. Figure out the rest.

Last edited by WendyB; 06-25-2008 at 10:45 PM.
06-26-2008, 10:16 AM   #28

There is no crop factor. Plain and simple. Read and learn. 1.6x means something else. They are not talking medium format, they are engineering and doing , including setting standards for the future. Figure out the rest.

I could see a Full Frame 36x24 camera with a 645 lens mount (because its bigger?), with an adapter that allows connection of APS-C lenses and magnifies the APS-C image circle 1.6x to be full-frame size?
06-26-2008, 10:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by longzoom Quote
I could see a Full Frame 36x24 camera with a 645 lens mount (because its bigger?), with an adapter that allows connection of APS-C lenses and magnifies the APS-C image circle 1.6x to be full-frame size?
That wouldn't be possible, since the registration distance of MF and DA lenses are different.
06-26-2008, 10:51 AM   #30
Inactive Account

For those of you who are wishing for a "live view in the viewfinder" we all ready have it. Called a mirror and a pentaprism.

The Maxxum/Dynax's may have used an LCD in the viewfinder, sure, to overlay AF points, meter areas, etc, sure. But you do realise a fully back-lit and full-coloured screen would be a helluva thing to implement, especially at a resolution and refresh rate high enough to be useful. For starters, I doubt that such an LCD or even OLED screen would be transparent enough to make normal shooting easy. Would darken the viewfinder a lot, or at least have a lot of artifacts visible.

Be easier to have a second LCD viewfinder, two camera, one with a traditional viewfinder and one with the LCD or have the LCD slide into place when you want it.

The Maxxum's would have use a simple, calculator-style, black and white LCD. Or a projection system.