Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
There's a promotional video available now. I notice that most of it is filmed at night. I wonder if that is an indication that it works well in low light situations.

RICOH THETA S PROMOTION MOVIE - YouTube

I imagine a shorter version of this might end up as a TV commercial in Japan, because that was what happened with the m15.
This is awesome, though why on earth did the guy in the bar scene shoot at ISO 100?

09-07-2015, 05:01 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. I mean, wow. Truly wow. Wow.
Ricoh have outdone themselves, oh wow. I don't know how they do it, wow, but I am wowed.
I hope you too are all wowed? You should be. You must be. You'd better be. Let's all sing: Wow!
This new Theta, and the spectacular GR II, wow, just wow. Incredible.
Wow. And it took then only two years for them? Wow.
09-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Ricoh have outdone themselves, oh wow. I don't know how they do it, wow, but I am wowed.
I hope you too are all wowed? You should be. You must be. You'd better be. Let's all sing: Wow!
Don't be a turkey! I'm excited about it!

---------- Post added 09-07-15 at 07:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
This is awesome, though why on earth did the guy in the bar scene shoot at ISO 100?
(I assume to reduce noise.)
09-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #34
Pentaxian

You don't like it or it's not for you? Just ignore it and let interested people care.
We see the same with prices, if it's not priced for you just ignore it. You wont be able nor need to own all RP products and that's a good sign of health for the brand.

09-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #35

I'm torn. I thought the original Theta was overpriced and couldn't find a reason to buy and use one. I recently came across some of the 360 degree videos from the Theta where the user can pan around the video and look at what they want. I now have an application in mind for this! The problem is that the video quality while you pan around is terrible. This does not seem to have changed much with the Theta S but it may be YouTube's fault since it uses some unknown zoom level for posted videos.

Anyways, now Kodak has a 360 degree video camera that does 4k resolution. I don't know if a user will be able to pan around in these 4k videos but, if so, that is a MUCH more desirable product for my needs. I hope Ricoh can upgrade the Theta to 4k.
09-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #36
Forum Member

Except the Kodak isn't true 4K at 2028x2028 unless some software magic or something is missing. Also I don't know how full 360 degree would work for it since there's only one lens and sensor located on the front/top. Plus just looking at it, it doesn't look as aesthetically or ergonomically pleasing as the Theta.
09-07-2015, 10:48 PM   #37
ogl
Pentaxian

This set works better
https://luminous-landscape.com/circular-fisheye-photography/
09-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
180 degrees is so last century!

09-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #39
ogl
Pentaxian

But another quality league. And price too...
09-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #40
Veteran Member

So who else offers something like the Theta S?

Does anyone else offer something as small and with as good IQ as the Ricoh GR at that focal length? mk1 or m2 for that matter, its a street shooter's dream

Who offers the smallest interchangable lens camera?

Who offers the best medium format camera?

Who offers the only camera to have built-in astro tracker?

Ricoh has hit you for for 6 out of the park.
09-16-2015, 09:52 PM   #41
JPT
Pentaxian

Ricoh is exhibiting Theta S images and videos viewed through VR headsets at the Tokyo Game Show this weekend. It's similar to what they did quietly at CP+.

news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info/2015/20150917_009391.html