Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #151
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,829
QuoteOriginally posted by asahiman a week ago:
K-1 and 70-200 are in full production run,the target is end of January for the 2.8 70-200.
Than we should get the first shipping.
The K-1 is the Big Pentax Showevent at the Yokohama CP+.
First shipping target could be end of march.
That´s how the Meeting ends today.
If i get any upgrade information,i will be here again.
Best regards and good night.


Looks like they moved the release date to the release date of the K-1 (end of march, April 1......)

12-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #152
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,829
New update from asahiman:

QuoteOriginally posted by asahiman on the weird mirrorless lovers site from seatlle:
Sorry,new lens Body.
Or lens housing.
Most of the test users had a Problem with the tripod Mount,it is to Close to the camerabody.
I had a Problem to hold it longer time with different cameras,cause my fingers are to Close at the collar.
It was the only negative Point after month ot lens testing.
The optical Formular seems to be very good.
Best regards


---------- Post added 17-12-15 at 19:42 ----------

Looking at this pic:


There may be to little space between the grip and the back of the lens body.
12-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #153
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,090
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
What's up with the green ring though?
The green makes it invisible for landscape. The red? When I was a kid, I convinced myself that a red bike was faster, and it worked !

---------- Post added 17-12-15 at 22:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Looking at this pic:
How is that possible that the tripod mount is a problem? When a tripod is use, the lens is not held by hand , I suppose. When used without tripod, the tripod mount is removed, so what's the problem ?
12-17-2015, 02:56 PM   #154
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,660
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
When used without tripod, the tripod mount is removed, so what's the problem ?
I have been puzzled by that issue too. Seems like some people handle such lenses in peculiar ways, holding the lens right at it's base, and trying to squeeze their hands in between the tripod shoe and the lens body ??

I'd like to see some side-by-side images of a Canon, Nikon, Sigma, Tamron 70-200's tripod foot and the rear of the lens body, and the Pentax 70-200. There can't be that much difference between the dimensions of all of those lenses.

When I shoot 70-200's, 95% of the time it's with a monopod attached anyhow. The gap between the tripod shoe and the lens body is not an issue.

My main gripe with the delay is that they should have simply said a year ago: 'The 70-200 will be released the same time as the FF is released'. End of story.

The intermittent dribble of information, and variable release dates, hasn't been helpful to anyone.

12-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #155
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,090
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
When I shoot 70-200's, 95% of the time it's with a monopod attached anyhow. The gap between the tripod shoe and the lens body is not an issue.
yes, and if you look at the Tamron 70-200 VC, its tripod collar is also very close to the lens mount side. The way I understand it now is that the lens mount is going to be moved at the same place as it is on the Tamron 70-200 VC :-) :-)
12-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #156
Pentaxian
Uluru's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Back to my Walkabout Creek
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,482
I never explored Pentax 70-210 prototype image in detail, I saw only scarce small pictures, and I remember it looked a bit strange on the camera... but now it is shockingly obvious.
Say, design of the Nikon's 70-210/2.8 is different. Enough space is allowed for fingers to grab around the grip by thinning of the lens barrel on that part, and that is why the tripod collar is pushed forward. But look at Pentax design! The collar and lens barrel in full width is practically glued onto the mount. Only toddlers can use this lens comfortably.
Considering that Pentax cameras tend to be smaller and more compact anyway, I wonder what on earth those lens designers had in mind?!
Too much time off the FF market, and there you go ...

Pentax:


Nikon:
12-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #157
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,909
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How is that possible that the tripod mount is a problem? When a tripod is use, the lens is not held by hand , I suppose. When used without tripod, the tripod mount is removed, so what's the problem ?
When you shoot in Portrait mode on the tripod with the grip of the camera DOWN rather than up* the tripod mount pinches the fingers against the grip, making it uncomfortable to shoot - or impossible when wearing gloves. The distance between the shoulder of the mount and the camera body / grip is too close to the body. This will necessitate redesigning the body of the lens to move the tripod ring farther forward.

I know - I always shoot portrait orientation with the grip-up, but enough testers complained that apparently Ricoh has decided to pull the lens and perform a minor redesign of the mount ring placement.


* attach lens tripod mount to tripod head, rotate camera clockwise so grip is down, not counter-clockwise so grip is up.

Last edited by monochrome; 12-17-2015 at 03:31 PM.
12-17-2015, 03:34 PM   #158
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 609
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
All the DA* lenses have a green ring ring at the mount and a gold band at the other end. I guess they are continuing that with the DFA* series.


OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

12-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #159
Pentaxian




Join Date: Aug 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 993
This lens looks big and heavy.
12-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #160
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,645
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I never explored Pentax 70-210 prototype image in detail, I saw only scarce small pictures, and I remember it looked a bit strange on the camera... but now it is shockingly obvious.
Say, design of the Nikon's 70-210/2.8 is different. Enough space is allowed for fingers to grab around the grip by thinning of the lens barrel on that part, and that is why the tripod collar is pushed forward. But look at Pentax design! The collar and lens barrel in full width is practically glued onto the mount. Only toddlers can use this lens comfortably.
Considering that Pentax cameras tend to be smaller and more compact anyway, I wonder what on earth those lens designers had in mind?!
Too much time off the FF market, and there you go ...

Pentax:


Nikon:
Some how it doesn't look that different then thè da*60-250mm lens to me.
12-17-2015, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #161
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,829
They just have to solve it like they did with the 150-450

12-17-2015, 04:20 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,909
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They just have to solve it like they did with the 150-450
There's a balance issue.
12-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #163
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,829
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's a balance issue.
There isn't on de 150-450 apparently.
12-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #164
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,660
Pentax must have been aware of the foot placement issue for a long time. Pentax themselves even had the 70-200 on display alongside the Canon 70-200 at the last CP+, where the difference in foot placement is, in retrospect, clearer than I remembered it to be:



QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They just have to solve it like they did with the 150-450
True. The foot looks identical between the 70-200 and 150-450 too. Must be the new standard-issue Pentax telephoto lens foot.

Last edited by rawr; 12-17-2015 at 05:23 PM.
12-17-2015, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #165
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,432
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Sorry,new lens Body. Or lens housing. Most of the test users had a Problem with the tripod Mount,it is to Close to the camerabody. I had a Problem to hold it longer time with different cameras,cause my fingers are to Close at the collar. It was the only negative Point after month ot lens testing. The optical Formular seems to be very good.
This seems to me to be very, very good news for two reasons:
1) The optical design is good and the change is not due to that or to AF issues as was speculated.
2) Ricoh listened to the beta testers and made a major change to the lens because people complained.

I won't debate the tripod mount placement, this is not a lens I am ever likely to buy and I've no idea if the mount is right or wrong. But the fact they would stop and make a change this late tells me Ricoh wants this one right. That's a big plus for Ricoh I think.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70-200mm, attack, body, christmas, collar, f/2.8, fa*, fa* 70-200mm, frame, frame camera, hd d fa*, image quality, info, job, lens, lenses, mm, oct, october, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, plan, ricoh, sentence, sigma, sports, time, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would you sell these lenses to purchase the new HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ? Driline Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 42 01-30-2016 07:09 AM
HD PENTAX-D FA ★ 70-200mm F2.8 at 5th February? x4rd Pentax News and Rumors 1414 12-18-2015 05:01 PM
Pentax HD D FA 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Lens for $2,299.95 Patriot Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 02-05-2015 04:22 AM
HD Pentax D-FA* 70-200 F2.8 starjedi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-03-2015 10:53 AM
For Sale - Sold: RARE: FA 85mm/2.8 Soft, F 17-28mm Fisheye, Takumar F 70-200mm, Tamron 70-300mm HermanLee Sold Items 8 07-04-2008 11:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top