Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #106

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
How do we know it isn't the marketing department pressuring the engineering department to fix things?
Because it always the marketing department who is pressuring the other department, it is why you have to download a new firmware as you get a new gadget it's the way it is ... always ...

11-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #107
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Kodak had a system like that for pros back in the 90's. It used a split mirror concept. Part of the image went to the camera and part to the sensor. You got an instant screen shot to view on a CRT monitor. It was used by mainly by portrait and school photographers.
It is amasing what people can do with technology, I wonder if they can make it fit in a dslr?
11-29-2015, 03:17 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And the cost of having someone add a new picture to a website once a week is simply so low as to be ridiculous.
Very true.
I think the new FF probably has a lot of interesting features, other than simply being a FF K-mount device with a viewfinder.

From time to time before launch, the website could hint at each K-1 selling point or innovation:
  • week 1: respecting Pentax tradition [cue slideshow of Pentax history, LX, 6x7, 645 etc blending into shadowed FF body];
  • week 2: wide lens support out-of-the-box [cue slide-show of full-frame compatible lenses, old and new];
  • week 3: big bright viewfinder, with secret Pentax tech inside [slideshow of early spotmatic viewfinder hump, 6x7/645 viewfinder hump, peek inside and out of the new FF viewfinder];
  • week 4: a great sports camera [cue slideshow of football, ski jump etc scenes, glimpses of great new AF technology, high fps];
  • week 5: a great field camera [cue slideshow of landscape scenes, wildlife shots, flippy screen at work on tripod, water drops on side of camera body];
  • week 6: great for weddings and low-light [cue pix of smiling bride and groom in dark church interior, image crops showing great low-light low-noise detail of bridal veil, image of new BSI sensor],
etc.

They could progressively do a dozen of these on the website right up until the day of the launch.
11-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
They could progressively do a dozen of these on the website right up until the day of the launch.
They just might do a dozen starting 12 weeks before the launch.

11-29-2015, 03:27 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AOCO Quote
it is why you have to download a new firmware as you get a new gadget
So true. I bought a new television a few days ago. A 230MB firmware download was waiting for me, to 'improve general performance and stability' of the TV.
11-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They just might do a dozen starting 12 weeks before the launch.
If they do, I can claim they used my idea.
11-30-2015, 04:40 AM   #112
Pentaxian

From time to time before launch, the website could hint at each K-1 selling point or innovation:
  • week 1: respecting Pentax tradition [cue slideshow of Pentax history, LX (...snip)
They heard you.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/308856-pentax-ff-teaser-updated.html

11-30-2015, 04:54 AM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

week 1: respecting Pentax tradition [cue slideshow of Pentax history, LX, 6x7, 645 etc blending into shadowed FF body];
I think this just happened -
Full Frame by PENTAX | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 30th Nov 2015 at 22:56 ----------

Snap!
11-30-2015, 04:59 AM   #114
Pentaxian

Very true.
  • week 1: respecting Pentax tradition [cue slideshow of Pentax history, LX, 6x7, 645 etc blending into shadowed FF body];
  • week 2: wide lens support out-of-the-box [cue slide-show of full-frame compatible lenses, old and new];
etc.

OK, nice job :-)
11-30-2015, 05:13 AM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The system the Kodak used 20 years ago would not translate well to the SLR world. At the same time that this product was being sold, a lot of brand new Nikon F4's were coming into Kodak and being fitted with digital backs.

Last edited by gaweidert; 11-30-2015 at 05:18 AM.
11-30-2015, 11:05 AM   #116
Pentaxian

I wonder if there is a market for both another FA Limited production run and an updated D-FA* HD SDM run of the (generally) same optical designs?
D-FA HD DC WR

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yes, for God's sake keep the ring motors out of the Limited primes. IIRC the DA Limited HD vs SMC review on this site somewhere let on that the biggest winner for the HD treatment was the 40 pancake, which was also the oldest of the Limited lenses (and heavily based on an M-series lens). This makes me suspect that the only thing the FA limiteds really need is an update to HD coatings, possibly quickshift if that isn't too difficult (and looking at the 40 Pancake I can't see it adding much if any volume), and nothing more.
To be competitive, the updated limiteds (if they exist) will need DC motors. And I for one would love that very much.

Quickshift would be easy indeed. The presence or absence of the aperture ring is irrelevant, so it will probably disappear except if it's cheaper to keep it there instead of redesigning. HD is a no-brainer

Last edited by bdery; 12-01-2015 at 06:09 AM.
11-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
To be competitive, the undated limiteds (if they exist) will need DC motors. And I for one would love that very much. Quickshift would be easy indeed. The presence or absence of the aperture ring is irrelevant, so it will probably disappear except if it's cheaper to keep it there instead of redesigning. HD is a no-brainer
I can go either way on the DC motor / screwdrive. But quickshift would be very nice. Aperture ring is also a "who cares" for me. HD, yes of course. WR? I don't know, I expected the updated DA Limiteds to have WR but they did not. I guess the only change to the DA's was the coating.
11-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
(...) I guess the only change to the DA's was the coating.
HD coating and rounded aperture blades.
11-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
HD coating and rounded aperture blades.
Yep, forgot about that. That is why I bought the SMC 15mm
12-01-2015, 02:55 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Second hand 70-200/2.8 on eBay before new on shelf

Lol

Bid away chaps

Pentax D FA 70 200mm F 2 8 ED DC AW 21330 | eBay

a second hand (preproduction) copy is available before it can be bought new.