Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #646
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But Hoya did, when they prepared Pentax for sale: there was no K-mount product whatsoever in 2011.
Not to mention firing all the lens designers?

09-27-2015, 10:04 AM - 3 Likes   #647
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Ricoh is guilty of this situation...
I'm getting sick of the moralizing language you choose to employ to bring your opinion across. Please leave us alone with lies, guilt and the like.
09-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #648
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
You must be talking about the favorite buzzword to justify mergers. SYNERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What it really means is "We don't have a clue as to what we are doing and no way of telling what is going to happen." I have never seen a positive synergy after any merger I have been through,
Always, always, management is optimistic. But in the end, one side wins, one side loses and half the employees are pissed. Then you lose the best of the half - because, WTH, if I have to change everything I might as well get paid for it.

Eventually it becomes apparent that the only things acquired/merged were patents, real estate, machines and some brand names, many of which have less value than the brands already owned, so you terminate the brands you just acquired. At the end you figure out all you got is scale.
09-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #649
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
If Ricoh has stopped the FF to come in time, only to put on board flash again into the camera, then they are totally crazy!
I agree. An onboard flash is far less important than an onboard GPS. Also, I can only think of one truly pro-grade camera with an onboard flash: Minolta's Alpha 9. And while, yeah, that was the best 35mm film camera ever made, the onboard flash was PANNED by critics as being indicative of amateur's cameras (to be fair, I like the Alpha 9's onboard flash.) So Pentax is basically damned if they do or if they don't with the FF onboard flash. I hope the say 'damn the torpedoes' and press on without.

I think it's a good question, though, to ask how many times have we used the onboard flash? I can think of maybe a dozen times in about 75,000 actuations with my K-3 and fewer than that in the now-more-than 100,000 actuations my K-7 took. So let's say 24 times in 175,000. That's a pretty rare thing. I have, in perspective, taken more photos with the astro tracer THIS YEAR than I have with the DSLR's onboard flashes in the last six years.

Onboard flashes are a crutch and marginally useful most of the time. Unless they're being used as a dim fill light to trigger key lights, the onboard flash does little else than make a subject look like it was carved from wax.

09-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #650
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But Hoya did, when they prepared Pentax for sale: there was no K-mount product whatsoever in 2011.
There was one lens in the pipeline. But that was just putting an AF motor on an old telescope design.
09-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #651
Pentaxian

Hoya-Pentax retired the long telephoto from the lens roadmap (and a 30mm-ish prime, as well).
09-27-2015, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #652
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
I'm getting sick of the moralizing language you choose to employ to bring your opinion across. Please leave us alone with lies, guilt and the like.
Name:  Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 1.59.31 PM.png
Views: 705
Size:  7.8 KB It's so very easy...
09-27-2015, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #653
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two Ricoh XRM's. They had this neat little flash that mounted to the side of the camera. You jut flip it up to activate. Works great too.

09-28-2015, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #654
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Also, I can only think of one truly pro-grade camera with an onboard flash: Minolta's Alpha 9. And while, yeah, that was the best 35mm film camera ever made, the onboard flash was PANNED by critics as being indicative of amateur's camera
I can't help but think there's a strong vein of snobbery going on here. Not everybody needs a GPS tracker, but sometimes (as with lenses) the best flash is the one you have with you. I can appreciate the rationale for removing it from the K3-II, even if I don't agree with it, but IMO at some stage Pentax will have to bring out a full-frame DSLR with an onboard flash or risk losing customers who might otherwise have bought one.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It's so very easy...
Says the user whose name is a synonym for the action. But yes, it is; isn't it?
09-28-2015, 09:39 AM   #655
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I can't help but think there's a strong vein of snobbery going on here.
Snobbery isn't the right word. It's fair to say that most professional users have a different work flow than amateurs. Horses for courses, as they say. Different work flows require different capabilities and hardware.

It's also fair to say that Pentax has been packing on a LOT of added features into their bodies, most or all of which only work in limited circumstances (e.g., astrotracker, pixel shift, and WR.)
09-28-2015, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #656
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Today I passed by Nikon official dealer, and asked if I could borrow a D750 for trying. I said I'm a Pentaxian. The salesman was very positive and gave me a D750+24-120 VR. First impression: the AF Waoow! AF fast and decisive, almost instantaneous and spot on, K-3 feel significantly weaker in comparison. Second good impression about the D750, light weight body with near perfect shape for handling. But, then I tried in burst mode... D750 felt significantly slower than the K-3, including buffer and processing. Also, the control wheels of the D750 are a bit hard to turn, and the four way button too small, I definitely prefer the Pentax implementation. Going through the menus of D750... complicated, Pentax is more straightforward. Another negative of the D750, the tilt screen, pretty useless, can't be turned on the side for video recording like Canon have implemented. But for now, the advantage of a Nikon body is we can has access to all latest glass from Tamron and Sigma, which is a downside for Pentax. So please Pentax, hurry-up and give us a Pentax K-3 style FF body with better AF and a bunch of DFA k mount lenses , rebadged or not !

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-28-2015 at 10:00 AM.
09-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #657
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
But for now, the advantage of a Nikon body is we can has access to all latest glass from Tamron and Sigma
Your LBA is getting out of hand.
09-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #658
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Your LBA is getting out of hand.
Pentax protects my bank account :-)
09-28-2015, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #659
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
... Going through the menus of D750... complicated, Pentax is more straightforward
Nikon cameras have a ton of features in their menus making them seem more complicated. To a Leica shooter I suppose Ricoh's menus are complicated. But since you were just demonstrating the camera you probably didn't learn how to customize the "My Menu". You can put your everyday things you access in to a menu tab and suddenly it is not complicated to use.
09-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #660
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
I agree. An onboard flash is far less important than an onboard GPS. Also, I can only think of one truly pro-grade camera with an onboard flash: Minolta's Alpha 9.
What is this crap? Aren't D6xx, D8xx, D750, D7xxx, 5D familly, 6D, 7D-II not truely pro camera?

If we were to count all the pro and how many do have camera with on board flash and how many don't, I'am sure the camp with on board flash would win by a huge margin.

Useless ? Maybe. You can discuss it. But it is here.