QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
4x4 for peasants
peasants?

10-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #812
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
peasants?
Yeah, I wondered about that too. Not nice. Surely every amateur photographer has an Ansel Adams reputation tucked in his knapsack; belittling them does no good.
10-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #813
Pentaxian

peasants?
Pheasants are more palatable.
10-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #814
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

peasants?
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yeah, I wondered about that too. Not nice. Surely every amateur photographer has an Ansel Adams reputation tucked in his knapsack; belittling them does no good.
"peasants" .... could it just be a language translation "glitch" ?

In French it is the word "paysan" (from the Larousse dictionary) is a "Personne qui vit à la campagne de ses activités agricoles." .... a person who lives "in the country" and performs agricultural activities (and makes a living out of those activities).

The problem when "paysan" is translated to English as "peasant" often means "Dont le comportement est grossier, rustre" and there are a lot of meanings in English, such as:
coarse, rough, crude; rude, gross, vulgar; indelicate, churlish, boorish; mannerless, impolite, uncivil; abusive, filthy, offensive; smutty, low; rough and ready.

So, I am assuming (for Nicolas06's sake) that it is only a matter of "translation".

Now, back to this FF business .... how much time left before the telling hour?
Cheers!

10-05-2015, 01:49 PM   #815
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Cheers!
It would be nice if there were some further announcements this week. I am not going to be holding my breath though.
10-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #816
Pentaxian

peasants?
My maternal grandmother was born a Hungarian peasant. She moved to the U.S as soon as she could, married another Hungarian immigrant (who was a steel worker), and raised five kids. Her second child, my mother, married an engineer. I have worked as a software engineer and as a college instructor. I still have her husband's lunch pail to remind me of where my family came from. I value the peasant part of my roots.
10-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #817
Pentaxian

More of us should try to keep in mind our history.

I come from stout gypsy stock, I gather it is a good thing my ancestors moved to America as it seems a lot of people in Europe weren't too fond of us.

10-05-2015, 10:36 PM   #818
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
4x4 for peasants
Nicolas meant "four wheel drive cars for farmers"
10-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #819

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Nicolas meant "four wheel drive cars for farmers"

I agree. From the context i would say that was obvious.
10-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #820
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
"peasants" .... could it just be a language translation "glitch" ?

In French it is the word "paysan" (from the Larousse dictionary) is a "Personne qui vit à la campagne de ses activités agricoles." .... a person who lives "in the country" and performs agricultural activities (and makes a living out of those activities).

The problem when "paysan" is translated to English as "peasant" often means "Dont le comportement est grossier, rustre" and there are a lot of meanings in English, such as:
coarse, rough, crude; rude, gross, vulgar; indelicate, churlish, boorish; mannerless, impolite, uncivil; abusive, filthy, offensive; smutty, low; rough and ready.

So, I am assuming (for Nicolas06's sake) that it is only a matter of "translation".

Cheers!
Wow I didn't know that the world peasant had such meaning in english. Yes for me it mean farmer and no, I didn't want to be pejorative with the world. Sorry if I offended somebody here.
10-06-2015, 07:43 AM   #821
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Wow I didn't know that the world peasant had such meaning in english. Yes for me it mean farmer and no, I didn't want to be pejorative with the world. Sorry if I offended somebody here.
Just curious, and honestly I assumed translation confusion. My family have been farmers for, well as long ago as we have records, one place or another starting in Europe and several places in the USA. The part I thought was funny though was the word "peasant" and "4x4" since in English "peasant" implies uneducated, not much money, tied to the land, working with hands only. But a modern farmer will require 100's of thousands of dollars in equipment and tools and most likely a college degree. And including a 4x4 of course
But we digress, not that there is much else to talk about...........
10-06-2015, 08:11 AM - 3 Likes   #822
Pentaxian

In the english language anything but Royalty is inferior. I've heard Native American elders describe themselves as "proud to be heathens", because heathen means "from the woods". North Americans look down on those who enter the trades, make sure that their kids never become so low, and then wonder why they can't find a good auto-mechanic. IN North America, anything other than the professions is low class.

Summarized from that great line, immortalized in some skit....
"Sir, the peasants are revolting."
"Yes I agree"

10-06-2015, 08:34 AM   #823
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
North Americans look down on those who enter the trades, make sure that their kids never become so low, and then wonder why they can't find a good auto-mechanic. IN North America, anything other than the professions is low class.
LOL. We always considered those city slickers that couldn't wire a house, fix the plumbing and plow forty acres to be rather useless parts of humanity. If you cannot build it, create it or fix it what are you doing? Guess I must be a peasant at heart.
10-06-2015, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #824
Banned

Before may 6th 2016!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_calendar
10-06-2015, 09:59 AM   #825

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Pheasants are more palatable.
Oh. I don't know about that. I've had some pretty tasty farm girls.