Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 265 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 05:52 AM - 2 Likes   #946
bxf
Veteran Member

Hey, we may have discovered a way to extract info from Kenspo - repeating a simple process of elimination.

10-10-2015, 05:26 PM   #947

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Hey, we may have discovered a way to extract info from Kenspo - repeating a simple process of elimination.
It seems you find a way to shut down the thread ^^
10-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #948
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AOCO Quote
It seems you find a way to shut down the thread ^^
It needs to keep going a little bit longer yet for my previous prediction to come true

Thats hardly fair - we are only 602 comments in, based on one announcement and shipping change. I reckon there is at least another 400 to go yet.....
10-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #949
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
It needs to keep going a little bit longer yet for my previous prediction to come true
I'm sure we can get there. After all there is not much else to talk about. 6 October has come and gone with nothing exciting in Pentax world. So now we wait until 'Spring' and argue about what the definition of spring is as defined by Ricoh.

10-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #950
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm sure we can get there. After all there is not much else to talk about. 6 October has come and gone with nothing exciting in Pentax world. So now we wait until 'Spring' and argue about what the definition of spring is as defined by Ricoh.
It is Spring here in New Zealand right now - lovely warm weather and blossom out. I contained my excitement at the 'Spring' announcement, as I was pretty sure Ricoh weren't referring the New Zealand in that announcement. As some other threads have noted CP+ would be the logical target in the northern hemisphere Spring
10-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #951
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
It is Spring here in New Zealand right now - lovely warm weather and blossom out.
Leaves are falling and the first rains started today, so a long way for spring for me. But I suppose it really matters when spring is where Ricoh is located. Or is it where the factory is at? Philippines. Or maybe somewhere else.
10-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #952
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But I suppose it really matters when spring is where Ricoh is located.
That would be my guess - spring in Japan...

10-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #953
mee
Veteran Member

Spring is better than late Fall for a new camera anyways... That is, unless you are a masochist and thus really enjoy standing out in cold, miserable weather...
10-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #954
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
I think that both the 24 MP number and the 6-7 FPS number cannot possibly be true. Neither make sense, and as you pointed out, together they make even less sense.

I'm hoping for 36-42 MP and ~8 FPS.
According to Nikon rumours, the new processor - evolution of fusjitsu milbaut, shared by Pentax and Nikon - will have 15 fps with 20 Mpix sensor.
You also know that Sony has released the first BSI 42 Mpix FF sensor in the Sony alpha, and according to DXO that's near a full stop better dynamic range than the "old" 36 Mpix sensor.
So the Pentax FF should embedd this new 42 Mpix sensor with 7 fps. 42 Mpix at 7 fps is the same number of pixels to process that 15 fps at 20 Mpix (15*20 = 300, 7 * 42 = 294)
10-11-2015, 01:04 AM   #955
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
According to Nikon rumours, the new processor - evolution of fusjitsu milbaut, shared by Pentax and Nikon - will have 15 fps with 20 Mpix sensor.
You also know that Sony has released the first BSI 42 Mpix FF sensor in the Sony alpha, and according to DXO that's near a full stop better dynamic range than the "old" 36 Mpix sensor.
So the Pentax FF should embedd this new 42 Mpix sensor with 7 fps. 42 Mpix at 7 fps is the same number of pixels to process that 15 fps at 20 Mpix (15*20 = 300, 7 * 42 = 294)
Thanks, interesting. I think with all this moaning about the timing for a FF-system it must be kept in mind that, as most other camera builders, Pentax/Ricoh also relies on the availability of components they don't produce themselves. The sensor is one thing, the processor another one. If either of it is not available in sufficient quality and quantity they have no choice but wait for it. A new Sony sensor with this new processor, either with this specs or similar, will most likely be the core of the new camera. And as soon as these are implemented in this system they will trickle down to K-3 successor and new new 645.

I think this is one of the advantages of Ricoh with these lines that they can -and did so in past- share development cost over three systems, which especially in 645 gave them the possibility to offer such an attractive product for such a good price.

Therefore the presentation of the FF is just a new step for more things to come, and I would not mind a 24 APS-C with 12fps and 4k video as being one representative of this new generation to follow soon.
10-11-2015, 01:10 AM   #956
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
So... no tethering?
10-11-2015, 01:14 AM   #957
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Therefore the presentation of the FF is just a new step for more things to come, and I would not mind a 24 APS-C with 15fps and 4k video as being one representative of this new generation soon.
That would be very nice..here is hoping there are lots of new offerings from Ricoh next year
10-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #958
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Sorry, but I tend to work in absolutes, especially when absolutes are involved.

Kenspro stated:

The absolute in this statement is that the K-3 II recall is backing up FF introduction until spring, whenever that may be. Speaking from a manufacturing standpoint, and the number of units involved, the time frame doesn't fit. Period.

Now absolutes aside, everyone can speculate what else may be adding to the delay, and that's OK. I would even go so far as to say it could be fun. My own speculation goes like this: given the problems with the K5 and K3 II, Ricoh wants to pad the launch date to ensure the product hits the 'official' release date and that the end product is as defect free as possible. I can readily accept this explanation as a plausible reason why the 'spring' date is so vague and why the time frame I referenced above doesn't work out to be real accurate.

And to all, please don't get the mistaken idea I'm disputing anything kenspro said. He can only pass on what he's told, and most of us appreciate that. I'm merely pointing out that the info he was provided has a timeline issue.

Maybe stated a bit differently : 'The K3ii issue showed a flaw in our testing and production methods which will take a bit of time to sort out.'

Or more starkly : 'the production manager responsible for the f***-up bled all over some sensitive piece of production equipment, and the lead time for a replacement is a few months.'

---------- Post added 10-11-15 at 11:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think all of this stewing is somewhat pointless. What we know is that Ricoh couldn't hit their initial release date. Probably the idea of an October release date was to optomistic. Maybe their were flaws with the design that were discovered late in the process. Maybe they decided at the last minute to change components as something like astro tracer or SR wasn't working as designed. I doubt the K3 callback made a huge difference though.

In the end, it makes very little difference. If you need full frame now (yesterday) then get a non-Pentax full frame. If you can afford to wait till spring, there is no doubt that it is coming.

I am actually more concerned by the delay in the release of the 70-200. That just feels really odd. I don't remember a lens being released -- at least pre-production copies getting out -- and then the lid being slammed down on it for multiple months. But certainly that could impact when they will release the full frame camera. They really need to have these full frame lenses on the street prior or, at least at the same time as the full frame camera's release.
Both Nikon and Canon last year. 300 f4 with the Fresnel lens was released, pulled and delayed by months. The Canon 200-400 zoom was delayed after announcement. Believed me I never heard the end of it, and was relieved when the durn things were delivered.

It was much simpler when things showed up in the store and you bought it.
10-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #959
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Spring is better than late Fall for a new camera anyways... That is, unless you are a masochist and thus really enjoy standing out in cold, miserable weather...
Late fall, perhaps, but we're nowhere near to that right now where I live (most leaves are still green).

We lived in Western Massachusetts for seven years; our first autumn there (2006), we drove up the local mountain; the parking lot for the lookout was full, and we ended having to park half a mile down the road. When someone at the lookout asked me what other places we'd been, I came to realize that New Englanders take their "colors" very seriously. According to the map, they are also largely just starting. Of course, if the FF had been announced this past week, it still wouldn't have been available for "colors" this year.
New England Foliage Map - Yankee Foliage - Your Source for New England Fall Foliage

Last edited by reh321; 10-11-2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: fixed date after notice from anemone
10-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #960
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Late fall, perhaps, but we're nowhere near to that right now where I live (most leaves are still green).
Well well, we have snow in the far north...