Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2015, 01:14 AM   #961
Kiwi Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Therefore the presentation of the FF is just a new step for more things to come, and I would not mind a 24 APS-C with 15fps and 4k video as being one representative of this new generation soon.
That would be very nice..here is hoping there are lots of new offerings from Ricoh next year

10-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #962
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Sorry, but I tend to work in absolutes, especially when absolutes are involved.

Kenspro stated:

The absolute in this statement is that the K-3 II recall is backing up FF introduction until spring, whenever that may be. Speaking from a manufacturing standpoint, and the number of units involved, the time frame doesn't fit. Period.

Now absolutes aside, everyone can speculate what else may be adding to the delay, and that's OK. I would even go so far as to say it could be fun. My own speculation goes like this: given the problems with the K5 and K3 II, Ricoh wants to pad the launch date to ensure the product hits the 'official' release date and that the end product is as defect free as possible. I can readily accept this explanation as a plausible reason why the 'spring' date is so vague and why the time frame I referenced above doesn't work out to be real accurate.

And to all, please don't get the mistaken idea I'm disputing anything kenspro said. He can only pass on what he's told, and most of us appreciate that. I'm merely pointing out that the info he was provided has a timeline issue.

Maybe stated a bit differently : 'The K3ii issue showed a flaw in our testing and production methods which will take a bit of time to sort out.'

Or more starkly : 'the production manager responsible for the f***-up bled all over some sensitive piece of production equipment, and the lead time for a replacement is a few months.'

---------- Post added 10-11-15 at 11:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think all of this stewing is somewhat pointless. What we know is that Ricoh couldn't hit their initial release date. Probably the idea of an October release date was to optomistic. Maybe their were flaws with the design that were discovered late in the process. Maybe they decided at the last minute to change components as something like astro tracer or SR wasn't working as designed. I doubt the K3 callback made a huge difference though.

In the end, it makes very little difference. If you need full frame now (yesterday) then get a non-Pentax full frame. If you can afford to wait till spring, there is no doubt that it is coming.

I am actually more concerned by the delay in the release of the 70-200. That just feels really odd. I don't remember a lens being released -- at least pre-production copies getting out -- and then the lid being slammed down on it for multiple months. But certainly that could impact when they will release the full frame camera. They really need to have these full frame lenses on the street prior or, at least at the same time as the full frame camera's release.
Both Nikon and Canon last year. 300 f4 with the Fresnel lens was released, pulled and delayed by months. The Canon 200-400 zoom was delayed after announcement. Believed me I never heard the end of it, and was relieved when the durn things were delivered.

It was much simpler when things showed up in the store and you bought it.
10-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #963
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Spring is better than late Fall for a new camera anyways... That is, unless you are a masochist and thus really enjoy standing out in cold, miserable weather...
Late fall, perhaps, but we're nowhere near to that right now where I live (most leaves are still green).

We lived in Western Massachusetts for seven years; our first autumn there (2006), we drove up the local mountain; the parking lot for the lookout was full, and we ended having to park half a mile down the road. When someone at the lookout asked me what other places we'd been, I came to realize that New Englanders take their "colors" very seriously. According to the map, they are also largely just starting. Of course, if the FF had been announced this past week, it still wouldn't have been available for "colors" this year.
New England Foliage Map - Yankee Foliage - Your Source for New England Fall Foliage

Last edited by reh321; 10-11-2015 at 02:45 PM. Reason: fixed date after notice from anemone
10-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #964
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Late fall, perhaps, but we're nowhere near to that right now where I live (most leaves are still green).
Well well, we have snow in the far north...

10-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #965
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

10-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #966

We lived in Western Massachusetts for seven years; our first autumn there (2016), we drove up the local mountain;
Oh reh321 from the future, please tell us how is Pentax FF series cameras developed and when they first arrived. I'm also interested about 645 stuff.
10-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #967
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anemone Quote
Oh reh321 from the future, please tell us how is Pentax FF series cameras developed and when they first arrived. I'm also interested about 645 stuff.
Thank you.
I fixed it.
10-14-2015, 06:47 AM   #968
Pentaxian

We lived in Western Massachusetts for seven years; our first autumn there (2006), we drove up the local mountain; the parking lot for the lookout was full, and we ended having to park half a mile down the road. When someone at the lookout asked me what other places we'd been, I came to realize that New Englanders take their "colors" very seriously. According to the map, they are also largely just starting. Of course, if the FF had been announced this past week, it still wouldn't have been available for "colors" this year.
New England Foliage Map - Yankee Foliage - Your Source for New England Fall Foliage
A few of my friends and I went up to Acadia National Park last Thursday and the leaves were almost all green. The pictures I took with my K3 set up were perfect. We ended up shooting a couple of lighthouses. The places were pretty crowded and we had to shoot over the shoulders of people who got there before we did.

An FF sensor packing more resolution would have been better but the K3 with its wide dynamic range delivered perfect images for enlargements up to 24x36 or maybe even beyond. I have shot the K3 in plenty of situations that did not require pushing the DR. I now know that for nature shoots the extra DR is a feature that I cherish as much as having extra resolution. Combine the two of them and you have photographic perfection.

10-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #969
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The teaser site went live on 28 Sept with 4 shadowy 'preview' images.
I wonder when we will start to see more (no doubt still shadowy) images on that site.
10-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #970
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The teaser site went live on 28 Sept with 4 shadowy 'preview' images.
I wonder when we will start to see more (no doubt still shadowy) images on that site.
I've always been a fan of Film Noire and shadowy images.
Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of hociR.... da Shadow do.
10-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #971
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of hociR.... da Shadow do.
Don't give Ricoh ideas.
I don't want a Pentax FF (Monochrome).
10-14-2015, 06:31 PM   #972
Kiwi Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Don't give Ricoh ideas.
I don't want a Pentax FF (Monochrome).
You do know that if you started a thread on that possibility based on the teaser site that it would easily get to 1000 comments.

To keep it moving along, you could provide speculation on how the specifications would compare with the Leica M Monochrome.

And also assorted additional speculation regarding Pentax bring out a new monochrome optimised full frame lens line up - yet to be shown on the roadmap