Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think asahiman is pointing out that the old K-mount manual aperture lever isn't visible in the FF mockup. Have they gotten rid of it? Would suggest major modifications to K-mount in the FF, and no mechanical stop-down anymore. KAF4 time?

Neither are the power-zoom contacts visible either, for that matter. If so, lots of functionality for some [SDM and other] lenses may be lost.

Worrying.
Can't be; stop worrying. The new DFA 150-450 has the classic mechanical aperture actuation, same for old lenses which will work on this FF. And power contacted are required for in lens Af motors, they can't miss either.
Besides, the aperture simulator is a different mechanism - it allows the camera to know the relative position of the aperture ring, required for open aperture metering with plain K lenses. It being missing is the reason we have to use green button metering.

09-18-2015, 02:34 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
So maybe Ricoh will be using a new Sony sensor and they have to wait six months after Sony releases it.
Exactly, sensor from A7RII.
09-18-2015, 02:37 AM   #93
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think asahiman is pointing out that the old K-mount manual aperture lever isn't visible in the FF mockup. Have they gotten rid of it? Would suggest major modifications to K-mount in the FF, and no mechanical stop-down anymore. KAF4 time?
Humm, yeah, one hypothesis is that the FF camera would have a different K-mount, the reason why I also guess this is because the postponed the introduction of the DFA70-200, so it might be that they'll redesign the mount and motoring (rather than optics).
09-18-2015, 02:38 AM   #94
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Besides, the aperture simulator is a different mechanism - it allows the camera to know the relative position of the aperture ring, required for open aperture metering with plain K lenses. It being missing is the reason we have to use green button metering.
Exactly my thoughts. 17 days to find out for sure.

09-18-2015, 02:38 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They've already shown the mockup and all but a formal announcement is missing. I guess Ricoh really is serious about releasing a performance-competitive rather than price-competitive FF. Maybe that or perhaps they're just going to release the FF along with the K-3 II replacement.

I do hope they release something even if just for good news this coming holiday season though. A new Q? WR Limiteds?
09-18-2015, 02:38 AM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, it isn't the end of the world. APS-C cameras are working pretty decently right now. We'll see what the price is, come spring. At the same time, I admit that I was getting excited about the release by the end of the year and it is a little discouraging that they are putting it off.
09-18-2015, 02:45 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Can't be; stop worrying. The new DFA 150-450 has the classic mechanical aperture actuation, same for old lenses which will work on this FF. And power contacted are required for in lens Af motors, they can't miss either.
Indeed. The only thing we can't see clearly is the AF screw-drive connector.
09-18-2015, 02:46 AM   #98
Pentaxian

The only thing left to modernise is an electronically controlled aperture, like Nikon did recently. I suggested this a while ago.
But if they'll do it the old mechanical linkage will be kept for backwards compatibility - like Nikon did. There's no doubt about that. And the mount will still be K-mount.
Screw drive will be kept as long as many of the currently made lenses requires it ; then perhaps removed from the entry level cameras - like Nikon did.
There's zero chance Ricoh would obsolete all their lenses.

09-18-2015, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #99

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Nikon would not be satisfied with 42mp sensor after Sony and Pentax.
I think megapixels aren't mattering as much lately as functionality and other specs are.

Consider the various other hot new features that cameras are offering these days: From Sony and a couple other mirrorless cameras, we have 4K video. From Nikon and Sony sensors, (and therefore, Pentax too) we have utterly incredible dynamic range. From pretty much every camera, thankfully, we've got very impressive high ISO performance. From Pentax alone, we have built-in GPS that works with IBIS to perform astro-tracking. And from various other cameras, we have certain awesome functions like face-detection that actually works, hybrid autofocus, and I'm sure a handful of others I'm forgetting.

Okay so my point is, imagine a camera that has all these things. Then, pick any number between 24 and 42. Roll some dice, spin a wheel, or put a blindfold on and pin a tail on a megapixel shaped donkey. A camera of any resolution would be a smash hit, if it had that killer arsenal of other features

To be honest, if I had to put my money on one number, it would be 36. This is a better middle-of-the-road number these days, in the face of 42 and 52 megapixel cameras, but then again 36 is still enough to be a shocker for anyone who has just a few 8-16 GB memory cards and plans to do some serious shooting.

The only way I see Pentax doing 42 instead of 36 is, if they're really hoping to make a camera that all the folks yearning for a 645Z can "settle" for.

Honestly, for the record, I'd love to see either sensor. What Pentax could do with a sensor similar to the D810 or the A7R II, I'd love. I'm just shooting the breeze here. ;-)
09-18-2015, 02:50 AM   #100
Site Supporter

Whatever it shall be, any kind of doubt was the last thing Pentax sales needed.
09-18-2015, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #101
Pentaxiste

Im very disapointed

I dont buy the spring 2016 version either now, well Ill buy a june 2016 date (which is still spring here in France) but it's goin to be too much wait for me.
I know myslef I wont be able to keep the money I saved past black friday

I will hope for specs and price by october 6th, that might calm me down from moving to aother company.

Oh and the bulls*!t about the postponed reasons by the marketing crew is really bad...
09-18-2015, 02:52 AM   #102
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I was getting excited about the release by the end of the year and it is a little discouraging that they are putting it off.
Same here. I was hoping to find a Pentax FF under my Xmas tree this year. But now Ricoh has grinched Xmas.
09-18-2015, 02:54 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
In all honesty, I am a little disappointed and perhaps even more scared that they've cut the branch under their feet with this step...

On the other hand, that advert says: Full Frame by PENTAX... by PENTAX is much stronger than PENTAX.

PENTAX is a brand in Ricoh's possession and by that logic, the FF cannot be 'made by PENTAX'. 'by PENTAX' implies that the PENTAX company is back in business..
Yes, Pentax has decided to buy out Ricoh's and its camera division. And do things the right way.
09-18-2015, 02:57 AM   #104
Site Supporter

The forthcomming LEICA AF FF will for sure be worth looking at.
I am thinking getting rid of all APS-C and 645 stuff, only keeping K-3 for wildlife and going Leica for light and qualitative day-to-day shots.
09-18-2015, 03:01 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
The forthcomming LEICA AF FF will for sure be worth looking at..
Yes, Leica is preparing an entire new system.
Let's see how a miniature but passionate German company keeps up in terms of delivery. Leica Q was a surprise, and a pure gold. Same with the new S.