Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 265 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 04:01 AM   #121

Photos: Albums
As long as the DFA 70-200 is similarly postpone, I'll survive. But seriously, if they do push back that lens any further, I'm cancelling my $3000 pre-order and taking my money to someone who can actually produce results.

09-18-2015, 04:01 AM   #122
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
If Ricoh wants to play like that, then they must tell us very soon what camera specs are. At least we will know if it deserves to wait for it.
6-9 months is too much of specs delays in a market in which every player is a heavyweight, and already well established in FF arena — Nikon, Canon, Sony, Leica.

I mean, what will Ricoh say to make it sound serious or desirable, when this entire game borders with unserious? 42MP and 6 fps? 8 fps? 20 fps? EVF overlay? What a single new lens will make users happy when half the FF capable lenses already 'announced' — 70-200mm — is still postponed indefinitely?

What kind of specs will keep you interested in the Pentax FF which any of the competitors, serious players, does not blow away or make average in the meantime? Will Ricoh change the specs again in 6-9 months to catch up? (Note that they stated "Spring 2016 Debut", but did not state is it early, mid or late spring).

This is a huge gamble for the seriously established, no-nonsense market. If they want to play there, they should better keep their promises, announce and deliver at the same time.

Of course, this is only a half-serious analysis, because reality is much more serious.
I wish them all the luck, because they are going to need it and it seems, they heavily play on it.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-18-2015 at 04:10 AM.
09-18-2015, 04:04 AM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I think asahiman is pointing out that the old K-mount manual aperture lever isn't visible in the FF mockup. Have they gotten rid of it? Would suggest major modifications to K-mount in the FF, and no mechanical stop-down anymore. KAF4 time?

Neither are the power-zoom contacts visible either, for that matter. If so, lots of functionality for some [SDM and other] lenses may be lost.

Worrying.
That would explain the prices of second-hand K-mount lenses.
09-18-2015, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #124
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Arrhhh you say this because you are disappointed. And you are disappointed because the expectations were pumped up to maximum level by Ricoh's half promises and per-announcement too early and lot of self teasing by the discussions on the forums.
The reality is that Ricoh released a K-3 when they should have been working on a FF in order to be just in time to enter the market, but they started FF development one product cycle too late, so now they are in catch-up mode.
Ricoh can work on the FF all they want. If they have to put 3 year old third party hardware in it (processor sensor) then it is better to wait another half year.

09-18-2015, 04:08 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Sorry if I'm repeating some other wild speculation. At some time Ricoh claimed the new FF Pentax would be in some way "revolutionary." That might imply some new feature(s) or technology that have given unexpected problems during prototype testing. There have been problems with early released new Pentax bodies in the past (re: K3 mirror flap) and they surely do not want any glitches with some innovated feature(s).
Well, that nearly always the case that something does not work as expected and need to be reworked, that is including in development and release plannings. So either yes, there were more problems than normal problems.... or IMO, they messed around with the K-S2 and K-3II stuff, and they started FF developments too late. As for the belief that they have worked 3 or 4 years on the FF camera, it just not true, simply because if they used a 42Mp sensor, this sensor was not qualified 4 years ago, and if they developed the FF since 2012, the FF would have a old sensor, not competitive.
09-18-2015, 04:09 AM - 1 Like   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
No..that choice has been taken already!
And why would you believe anything you've been told?
09-18-2015, 04:09 AM   #127
Pentaxian

Hey hey, no, they don't give any info to prevent people switching, so that the existing decisions of the customer base is hanged. For example, if they had given an official list of DA lenses FF compatible, some users would have made their mind and some of them would have been in a possible to switch to another brand. By giving no info, but vague promises, no-one can decide on their purchases, so, most of us have to wait and see.
...which is precisely the ultimate goal of a marketing initiative such as the website launched today: dissuade people to change brands despite the postponement of the 24x36 camera launch.

09-18-2015, 04:11 AM - 5 Likes   #128
Veteran Member

Welp, at least we have the Theta S to hold us over until the spring...
09-18-2015, 04:14 AM   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Ricoh can work on the FF all they want. If they have to put 3 year old third party hardware in it (processor sensor) then it is better to wait another half year.
I agree, and in short, I meant that the FF should have replaced the K-3... so I'm not sure if I correctly wrote what I meant. In addition, I find your sentence relevant, and worth thinking about: if designing a new camera takes so much time, this new camera is more "obsolete" when it hits the market and it can't capture all the sales compared to if it was developed and released faster. So, it's kind of a problem if a company does not have the critical size to follow the pace of Canon and Nikon.
09-18-2015, 04:16 AM - 1 Like   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Pentax answer on the question around being behind schedule:

"No, we are on schedule. But we have decided to enrich some functions and specifications furthermore to satisfy our customers.
We are expecting different launching schedule from previous announcement considering the time we need to develop."
Don't wait too long or it will never be finished. We had a very talented singer win the Voice in Holland. She kept on trying to perfect the album she had won to make. It was never brought out. I am sure there is an old Chinese verb saying the same.

---------- Post added 18-09-15 at 13:18 ----------

I agree, and in short, I meant that the FF should have replaced the K-3... so I'm not sure if I correctly wrote what I meant. In addition, I find your sentence relevant, and worth thinking about: if designing a new camera takes so much time, this new camera is more "obsolete" when it hits the market and it can't capture all the sales compared to if it was developed and released faster. So, it's kind of a problem if a company does not have the critical size to follow the pace of Canon and Nikon.
It's what happened to the K-7. Sensor was not up to date.
09-18-2015, 04:19 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
they surely do not want any glitches with some innovated feature(s)
I hope they aren't relying on a mere handful of local fanboy testers in Japan (like asahi man) to expose the potential glitches. They need a broad real-world test program involving demanding users and lots of likely usage scenarios to find any bugs early.
09-18-2015, 04:20 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Might the disappearance of the 70-200/2.8 (plus no sighting of a new normal ff zoom) and this new delay be linked? Brings to mind the possibility of a major change to the K-mount.
09-18-2015, 04:22 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
What kind of specs will keep you interested in the Pentax FF which any of the competitors, serious players, does not blow away or make average in the meantime? Will Ricoh change the specs again in 6-9 months? (Note that they stated "Spring 2016 Debut", but did not state is it early, mid or late spring).
Until spring 2016 Sony, Nikon and Canon will release new cameras and Pentax will still be behind them. As for this secrecy regarding the specs of the full frame, I think it's not quite a smart decision because:
1. No one buys K-S2, K-3/K-3 II anymore because everybody is interested in full frame, and prices drop each and every day for crop cameras.
2. There are a lot of people which were willing to wait until november (the first release date announced by Ricoh), but the number of those will continue to drop because at this moment we can't be sure that when spring comes Ricoh will say that the full frame will be available in stores in early autumn 2016.
09-18-2015, 04:25 AM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Might the disappearance of the 70-200/2.8 (plus no sighting of a new normal ff zoom) and this new delay be linked? Brings to mind the possibility of a major change to the K-mount.
The Mount looks exactly the same on the pic

But no OBF why aren't people angry yet
09-18-2015, 04:26 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Until spring 2016 Sony, Nikon and Canon will release new cameras and Pentax will still be behind them. As for this secrecy regarding the specs of the full frame, I think it's not quite a smart decision because:
1. No one buys K-S2, K-3/K-3 II anymore because everybody is interested in full frame, and prices drop each and every day for crop cameras.
2. There are a lot of people which were willing to wait until november (the first release date announced by Ricoh), but the number of those will continue to drop because at this moment we can't be sure that when spring comes Ricoh will say that the full frame will be available in stores in early autumn 2016.
Exactly.
Dreadfull news.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-18-2015 at 04:32 AM.