Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 265 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 08:54 AM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummmm...I do believe they started in 2000 with the MZ-D prototype and announcement.

Steve
Nope, they cancelled it : In October 2001, Pentax canceled the camera, stating "The cost of manufacturing the prototype SLR 6-megapixel digital camera meant it was not a viable product for our target market." (wikipedia)

so 2001 to 2012 there was no word on a FF. (just a wish).

09-18-2015, 08:59 AM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If delaying the release of the FF prevents QC issues I'm all for it. Better a little late than getting D600, D750, T4i, T6s or T6i type recalls.
09-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Ummmm...I do believe they started in 2000 with the MZ-D prototype and announcement.
Which vas absolument nothing to do with the current FF cam.
09-18-2015, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #199
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I've said over and over again - Ricoh does not aspire to be Canon nor Nikon.
And for that we can be thankful!

I usually avoid the rumor and ff sections of PF, but it is always good to see the same familiar faces saying the same familiar things. This much I have taken from the discussion so far:
  • The most recent photos show a misshapen head on the camera. This obviously indicates a concealed laser rangefinder/weapon
  • Pentax will be perpetually behind Nikon and Canon
  • Pentax has always been behind Nikon and Canon
  • Those that post to the rumor and ff sections of PF will all switch brands because Pentax has always been been behind Nikon and Canon and it has caused a severe sense of inferiority
  • As a result of the above point, Adam will close down both the rumors and ff sections of this site due to non-participation
  • Pentax tells their sponsored pros NOTHING
  • The FF will not have a conventional hot shoe, but will rely on psychic vibrations to both sync and modulate a new generation of flash. The delay is most likely caused by non-cooperation of channeled masters in the various alternate dimensions.
See you all in six months

Steve

09-18-2015, 09:11 AM   #200
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Which vas absolument nothing to do with the current FF cam.
Except that it was supposed to be FF with state of the art sensor and ground breaking tech and was delayed and delayed and delayed and eventually forgotten. It would be three years before Pentax actually delivered on a digital body and then it was APS-C and priced above the rest of the market. Its main drawing point at the time was its diminutive size.

Steve
09-18-2015, 09:15 AM   #201
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Yes. Because Nikon's incompetency is a good defense for Ricoh's incompetency.
Well at least Pentax is catching up with Nikon in at least one metric. Consumer Reports defect rate for Nikon is 8% with Pentax at 7%.

Steve
09-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #202
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
If delaying the release of the FF prevents QC issues I'm all for it. Better a little late than getting D600, D750, T4i, T6s or T6i type recalls.
Yes, given the track of K-3 mirror flop and then K-3 II gps issue I was hoping that if it shipped this year by spring 2016 there would be enough reports from early adopters about any issues to decide whether to buy or not.
Now it seems it is more like one year from now until we get there.

09-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Daikokuya Quote
Saw it. I think Pentax is really trying hard to piss off the diehard Pentaxians. With endless delays both on FF and FF lenses, they are going waaaaay out of their way to kill the Pentax brand altogether. I do not need pixel shift, I do not need 4K (Nice to have them but not a must). Just give me a reasonably priced 36-42MP FF so I do not have to go to Sony or the other guys to get it.
09-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #204
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Nope, they cancelled it : In October 2001, Pentax canceled the camera, stating "The cost of manufacturing the prototype SLR 6-megapixel digital camera meant it was not a viable product for our target market." (wikipedia)
Well, I guess we are only a few weeks short of the project cancellation notice, assuming history repeats itself.

FWIW, I remember the original 2000 announcement and also the speculation in the photo press that continued until the *ist D released.

Steve
09-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
so 2001 to 2012 there was no word on a FF. (just a wish).
But imagine if they would of pursue that since then, how far ahead of the curve would they be now?
09-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #206
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Just give me a reasonably priced 36-42MP FF so I do not have to go to Sony
Come on...You know you want one. The A7RII feels so nice in the hand and the price point is so very, very right and it will accept your Pentax lenses. Besides...it is the right thing to do.

Steve
09-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
But imagine if they would of pursue that since then, how far ahead of the curve would they be now?
They might have emulated Minolta (first real AF) and stopped making cameras
09-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #208
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm...Spring of 2016...kinda like the *ist-D release dates...back in 2003.
Longer delays make it easier to fit and budget the money for it.
The day I can buy it, I will.
I wanted to take the camera to Scotland over the new year, so I am disappointed in that.
I have a ton of projects that I wanted to use it on...and I have to wait.
Yes, disappointed, but not too unexpected.
I will probably grab an A7Sii to go with my FS7, and relax my anticipation for the Pentax FF.
09-18-2015, 09:42 AM - 4 Likes   #209
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Exactly how is it a "matter of optics"?
You claim Pentax isn't doing it right. But simple fact, no one made you the judge. You choose to call it incompetency , some would choose to call it the realities of running a camera company while looking at the same set of data. You call them incompetent because they give you their best guesses based on a fluid situation. But, not knowing what that situation was, their response may have been an over the top demonstration of competency. So, basically, you have applied your personal optics and arbitrary standards to a situation you know nothing about. That's what optics means. You can look at it one way, or you can look at it another way. The fact that you always seem to see the negative maybe blinds you to that. If you only see one side of a multi-faceted decision, everything can be crystal clear and black and white. The real world is somewhat more various shades of grey, with a multitude of decisions to be made all affecting each other. The new sensor enabling the creation of the 645z pushed back the FF 6 months. The FF doesn't exist in a vacuum. It has to share, development teams, production capacity, manufacturing facilities etc. with other models. That helps Pentax keep costs down and is the epitome of competency. What you're talking about, I have no idea.

You think someone was sitting in their office twiddling their thumbs, making paper airplanes instead of developing the FF? Really> I doubt you even have a clue what a competent camera company would look like, unless you mean the imaginary camera company that has everything perfect the first time and ready to release before announcing the product. My point was, there is no such camera company, and no such perfect camera has ever been released. SO by your definition of competency there shouldn't be any cameras at all. We should be waiting for the announcement of camera perfection.

Pentax is a camera company... this is what camera companies do. They are within the limits of accepted practice. That's all I'm saying.

Personally I like the way Pentax has handled this. They've tried to keep us in the loop, let everyone that's been hanging on the their FF K-mount glass for 30 years know something is coming for them, and worked towards bringing it to market, without disrupting the cash flow from other product lines that are currently the cash flow generators for the company.

As I said, it's all optics, you see incompetence, I see the realities of the manufacturing world. Everyone sees what they want to see, just some of us realize it's a choice between many realities, others think what they see is reality. No on else need contribute.

Last edited by normhead; 09-18-2015 at 10:05 AM.
09-18-2015, 09:42 AM   #210
Pentaxian

Come on...You know you want one. The A7RII feels so nice in the hand and the price point is so very, very right and it will accept your Pentax lenses. Besides...it is the right thing to do.

Steve
Steve, don't tempt me man!!

If I had not switched from Canon two or so years ago, I would have given the Sony switch a serious thought. All I want is a reasonably priced FF giving me nice hi-res stills. If I did serious video, I would have switched to Sony already. Plus I like my Three Amigos. I get a kick out of what I get with them every time I pick up the K3 and one of those babies. Yes they will work on the A7 series cameras along with the few Pentax 645 lenses I have. For the sake of nostalgia and the fact that I cut my teeth on a Pentax MX (which I loved), I am going to sit tight for now.

Pentax, Ricoh, someone out there in Denver, are you guys listening to what is going on here on PF. We are trying hard not to go to greener pastures! Don't tempt us. We have pledged our allegiance. Don't try so hard to disappoint us!