Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 265 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #211
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I did not buy a full frame until now, not because Pentax did not have a FF, but because I considered the prices of Canon 5Ds and Nikon D810 to be to high for the benefits compared to APSC. However, the D750 (not the 6D) seems to be better value for money, and with recently released Tamron 150-600 and Sigma 150-600 lenses not available in K-mount, buying a D750 + Sigma 150-600 S / Tamron 150-600 combo is tempting. So, I was going to swap my DA300 f4 with DFA150-450, but I've put any K-mount purchases on hold since K-3 release. Now, I'm affraid that if I get a D750+150-600, it won't take a lot of effort to complete the system with Tamy 24-70 f2.8 and then the Pentax gear might remain in the cartons.
Nikon has a new 200-500mm/f5.6 for a good price

09-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
There's no context
Except the lens flange, which has to be the exact same size on all the bodies.
09-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I will probably grab an A7Sii to go with my FS7, and relax my anticipation for the Pentax FF.
Since Pentax is very unlikely to release a competitor to the A7s in any case, you would be getting ahead of the game there. You're probably going to have to go that route in any case, so why wait?
09-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #214
KX5
Forum Member

i will still use my A7 until next spring. Good for the money!

09-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #215
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think Ricoh is going to nail it this time. I doubt there will be significant further delays at this point.

As for the D FA* 70-200mm lens getting delayed until late Febraury 2016, the signs point to a significant optical redesign. The lens may work great on APS-C, but they're probably redoing the optics for sharp corner-to-corner performance. The initial reviews indicate good APS-C performance, but there might be a steep falloff in sharpness towards the full-frame edge—not acceptable in a Holy Trinity lens. If this means the rest of the Holy Trinity is going to be designed to ensure the best possible performance on full frame corner-to-corner, then this is an acceptable delay.

—DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 09-18-2015 at 10:12 AM.
09-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Steve, don't tempt me man!!

If I had not switched from Canon two or so years ago, I would have given the Sony switch a serious thought. All I want is a reasonably priced FF giving me nice hi-res stills. If I did serious video, I would have switched to Sony already. Plus I like my Three Amigos. I get a kick out of what I get with them every time I pick up the K3 and one of those babies. Yes they will work on the A7 series cameras along with the few Pentax 645 lenses I have. For the sake of nostalgia and the fact that I cut my teeth on a Pentax MX (which I loved), I am going to sit tight for now.

Pentax, Ricoh, someone out there in Denver, are you guys listening to what is going on here on PF. We are trying hard not to go to greener pastures! Don't tempt us. We have pledged our allegiance. Don't try so hard to disappoint us!
Why not switch now? I don't think the Pentax/Ricoh FF would make a "reasonably priced FF with nice hi-res stills but without added features that competitors FF don't have", it will never happen IMHO, save yourself further disappointment.
09-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #217
Pentaxian

Compared with the K-3 it seems as wide but higher and a significant pentaprism hump hopefully giving us film age magnification:

09-18-2015, 10:24 AM   #218

When it's finally released, it will be a new day moving forward.
What's another 6 months? It'll fly by!

Of course, I'm not buying one anyway because I've got what I need,
but it'll be fun to see what Pentax/Ricoh comes up with.

That said, If it handles as nicely as the PZ1p, it'll be a winner.
09-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #219
Veteran Member

IMO, this strategy, of creating a FF camera with ''revolutionary'' technologies was wrong. First, they had to secure the existing market, with a good FF camera, but without delaying the launch until every news they have can be implemented safely. Pentax users has waiting for such a long time, that many of them has decided to move to other systems. Another new delay is not a think that can bring trust. And as I saw, many people are asking if this is the last delay, or another one will come.

Better to be present on a market, with a ''not the best product'' but with an acceptable one, than to be absent, or present only with promises.

I still hope that Pentax will choose another sensor manufacturer, or will built his own sensors, because his dependence of Sony, a direct competitor, is not good. Not to talk about those sensors performance stability in time.
09-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Why not switch now? I don't think the Pentax/Ricoh FF would make a "reasonably priced FF with nice hi-res stills but without added features that competitors FF don't have", it will never happen IMHO, save yourself further disappointment.
Thanks for the heads up.

As I mentioned, I am in no hurry. Pentax, in addition to being a nice (almost complete) system overall, it has always offered value the others have not been able to match. A 36-42MP FF camera priced in the $2,200-2,500 range will be a deal no one has been able to offer yet. As was the K3 value proposition.

Now if the new body has some bells and whistles no one else has, that would be the icing on the cake. But a pure FF still image making machine, priced in the low $2K range would be a camera worth waiting a little longer for.
09-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #221

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
A "breakthrough technology" improvement (to me at least) would be more of an evolution then a breakthrough - Namely being able to shoot moving objects in the pixel shift mode!

It would not need to capture extremely fast moving objects, but just fast enough to be able to capture moving water, or grass/leaves moving in a gentle breeze.
If I had to guess, I would think that it might be related to the new dual mirror system they patented earlier this year. It's supposed to be better at autofocusing in low light, which I can see how that would pair well with the Sony BSI sensor, which combines high resolution with good low light IQ. While the A7Rii has been showing great IQ results in low light, some reports say it is slower to focus and sometimes misses focus in low light, so Ricoh's patented AF tech would make sense if that's the sensor they're using.
09-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #222
Veteran Member

I think that believing that because of this delay, it will now be a "bug-free" product is wishful thinking.
I do not think any product created by the hand of man has been perfect, and I am not aware of any digital camera that has been released for while being on firmware 1.00. I think Ricoh is a good, solid company...having said that, they do not have a history of being nimble at all. Look at all the old GRDs and the GXR. Good products, but more what I call "one-off" products,very niche. Same with the 645Z.
They seem to be content making a profit with small production runs and serving a small subset of photographers.
09-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #223

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Thanks for the heads up.

As I mentioned, I am in no hurry. Pentax, in addition to being a nice (almost complete) system overall, it has always offered value the others have not been able to match. A 36-42MP FF camera priced in the $2,200-2,500 range will be a deal no one has been able to offer yet. As was the K3 value proposition.

Now if the new body has some bells and whistles no one else has, that would be the icing on the cake. But a pure FF still image making machine, priced in the low $2K range would be a camera worth waiting a little longer for.
I've owned Sonys and Nikons, and I'm not in any hurry to get another one of either thanks to their UI compared to Pentax. But I would hope that Pentax takes Sony's body strategy into account for their pricing. Given Sony's history, there will likely be at least another new A7 series body
or two by spring to drive down the current price of the A7Rii to around that price range by spring. Though if Nikon also gets that sensor, I think that price from Pentax would still be a good value compared to their system.
09-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #224
Pentaxian

A the moment, the sales from K-3 series, K-S2 and APSC lenses seems to be sluggish. Postpone of the Pentax FF = betting the house for Pentax management. It seems to be a move of company turn around. Best case, the FF cam and new portfolio of lenses get the company to reverse its loss of market share trend, or Worst case Pentax just runs out of business.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-18-2015 at 11:27 AM.
09-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #225
Pentaxian

That is my fear.
Someone in PR headoffice could already see things happening that way... delay due to bad global sales and i.o. to try find some new shareholder, before eventual breakdown.