Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Ricoh is after buying RED..might be a connection here. But i can't confirm, cause no one wants to talk about this bit. So this info is from others..
To make sure I'm reading this right. Ricoh is buying or trying to buy RED as in RED Digital Cinema - 6K, 5K, & 4K Digital Cameras?

09-19-2015, 06:49 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Ricoh is after buying RED
Interesting. Has potential. Canon (Ricoh Enemy #1) will be worried.

But often when big companies buy small ones for their dynamism and innovation, they smother them to death due to bureuacracy and different cultures. Better to buy a small stake in such a company and a seat on the board rather than a total buyout and absorption.

I hope this doesn't distract Ricoh too much from the main game - which is delivering a FF to us.
09-19-2015, 06:58 AM   #318
Banned

Photos: Gallery
No k-mount on RED.

QuoteQuote:
Leica-M, Canon, Nikon, and PL lenses are all compatible with EPIC DRAGON cameras.
So that makes not so much sense for K-mount. It does bring video knowledge.

They could buy Samsung NX system if Samsung would abandon it, but that makes as much sense as buying RED.
09-19-2015, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #319
Veteran Member

@Winder yes!

@rawr FF will come! They can't back away from that one now.

But i can't or won't confirm this ^^ its just something i hear from the inside on the other side..

09-19-2015, 07:11 AM   #320
Pentaxian

@Winder yes!

But i can't or won't confirm this ^^ its just something i hear from the inside on the other side..
Buying RED?! Now that is an acquisition that makes no sense to me. Then again what do I know.

What Ricoh needs is a person or team of people who understand video better so that they can squeeze better video out of a Sony sensor which for some reason Sony and even Nikon are able to get better video. I personally do not care about 4K or other video but if I were a pro who needed both, Pentax would not be the camera for it. Ricoh needs to address this because it has become such a selling point that everyone is running behind Sony, playing catch up to offer the 4K feature. Perhaps RED brings that expertise but the RED camera itself is a big question mark.
09-19-2015, 07:20 AM   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It does bring video knowledge.
Plus some cool looking gear.

However Ricoh might just be talking to RED about introducing some PK or 645 lens mounts for RED, or cross-licensing some of each other's tech, or something like that.
09-19-2015, 07:34 AM   #322

Ricoh is after buying RED..might be a connection here. But i can't confirm, cause no one wants to talk about this bit. So this info is from others..
I apologize for my ignorance, but what is RED?

EDIT:
I see. The buzz is going so hard that the question was already answered while I was mulling whether I should ask about this.

Last edited by fromunderthebridge; 09-19-2015 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Foolishness
09-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #323
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Plus some cool looking gear.

However Ricoh might just be talking to RED about introducing some PK or 645 lens mounts for RED, or cross-licensing some of each other's tech, or something like that.
Given the level of competition between Canon and Ricoh in certain industries it makes sense for Ricoh to buy RED which is a key Canon competitor in the professional cinema market. "the enemy of mine enemy is my friend".

Now imagine the 645z with RED 4K capabilities and what that brings to the market.

---------- Post added 09-19-15 at 09:36 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
See link at the top of the page.
09-19-2015, 07:45 AM   #324
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
Someone that blew through an established industry with lower priced very capable video hardware. Something like the 645z in magnitude.
09-19-2015, 07:54 AM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ricoh is after buying RED
Well if there is any substance to that rumor it would be the one thing that could scare the pants off both Canon and Sony...
09-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #326
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
There's no context, for all we know it could be the size of a small bus.
I beg to differ. The mount provides a common point of reference. A K-mount will be the same dimension regardless of the body on which it is mounted and the dimensions of the body can be deduced from the relative size of the mount ring. Now, having said that, we have no idea if the concept image is closely related to the real thing. It is an exercise in futility to read too much into the teaser; its only purpose is to arouse and hold interest until the real thing is available.
09-19-2015, 08:09 AM - 2 Likes   #327
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Winder yes!

I think on October 6 the previously revealed plastic mockup will be replaced with a new one made of clay.
09-19-2015, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #328
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Life was so much simpler when the Box Brownie was cutting edge
09-19-2015, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #329
Veteran Member

While asahiman's comment was a positive surprise for me, I must say now that things do indeed evolve along the timeline I did initially anticipate after the first FF announcement early this year.

I.e., market availability around Photokina 2016.
09-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Well if there is any substance to that rumor it would be the one thing that could scare the pants off both Canon and Sony...
It would certainly be interesting if the reason for any delay in the FF - which is aimed at professionals, I believe, and not designed to be "cheap" - is to fit it with super-powerful imaging electronics from a RED system, thus producing the world's most powerful dual-use 42 mpx video/stills camera in one fell swoop. Having been frustrated by the lacklustre Milbeaut story, perhaps, chances are Ricoh have had to look elsewhere anyway.