Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 08:45 AM   #331
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Given the level of competition between Canon and Ricoh in certain industries it makes sense for Ricoh to buy RED which is a key Canon competitor in the professional cinema market. "the enemy of mine enemy is my friend".

Now imagine the 645z with RED 4K capabilities and what that brings to the market.
Exactly my thought, Ricoh shows their interest for video for years but lacks real knowledge for video market, the WG-M1 codecs are not good enough to be a real GoPro competitor. The Theta S is ok for web streaming but still not enough to push 360° video streaming (which will perfectly fit a new Ricoh action cam concept). Pentax cam have top still image quality but none (even 645Z) have a good enough video implementation to be seen in any market as a possible still+video option. If this is true, Ricoh opens a new front-line with Canon, bring the competition with GoPro at another level, ...

But this should not affect positively the incoming FF, it's for future products.

09-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #332
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
It would certainly be interesting if the reason for any delay in the FF - which is aimed at professionals, I believe, and not designed to be "cheap" - is to fit it with super-powerful imaging electronics from a RED system, thus producing the world's most powerful dual-use 42 mpx video/stills camera in one fell swoop. Having been frustrated by the lacklustre Milbeaut story, perhaps, chances are Ricoh have had to look elsewhere anyway.
Interesting thoughts... I suppose for those looking/waiting for a cheap version (D750 or 6D alike) of Pentax FF would have to wait even longer after the first release in 2016.
09-19-2015, 09:05 AM   #333
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Interesting thoughts... I suppose for those looking/waiting for a cheap version (D750 or 6D alike) of Pentax FF would have to wait even longer after the first release in 2016.
If that's what you want go buy a D750/6D/A7 or whatever don't bother waiting. It's not what Ricoh is doing.
09-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #334
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
market availability around Photokina 2016
'Market availability', 'market launch' - the terminology is very confusing.

Unsurprisingly, many assumed the FF would be ready for Christmas shopping.

09-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #335
Pentaxian

To me, the choice of lenses in K-mount is more important then FF availability. I realize that if I have the right focal length and amount of light (=the right lens) so that I don't need to crop, the K-5 or K-3 sensors have good enough resolution and noise in good enough conditions. So, I'm much more bothered by the fact that Tamron, Sigma and other brands are not offering some of their recent lenses in K-mount.
09-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #336
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
While asahiman's comment was a positive surprise for me, I must say now that things do indeed evolve along the timeline I did initially anticipate after the first FF announcement early this year.

I.e., market availability around Photokina 2016.
I'd think more like CP+. Photokina will be for the K-3 II successor. In between a new mid ranger will appear.
09-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #337
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Now imagine the 645z with RED 4K capabilities and what that brings to the market.
This is just Dreaming of a fool. There is only one large sensor and that is not a fast reading sensor to drop out 4k or 5k or 6k video. We can Dream and Imagine all we want, but that doesn't make it realistic.

09-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #338
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
@Winder yes!

@rawr FF will come! They can't back away from that one now.

But i can't or won't confirm this ^^ its just something i hear from the inside on the other side..
so this not only confirms kenspo is actually a ghost! but a ghost who can't speak
09-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #339
Veteran Member

Current 645Z could deliver better HD video with a better implementation but I don't think it will. I suppose he was talking about the new BSI sensor design hitting the cropped 645 sensor size, then it's something possible. Not existing yet but not unrealistic.
09-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #340
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Krizu Quote
Fstoppers also posted about the teaser. Funny enough, nobody there speaks about any disappointment or delay. The article itself as well as their reader comments are genuinely more excited about the news. Crazy huh, that others read this as exciting news while the pentaxians here are close to kermitting swagside. https://fstoppers.com/gear/pentax-full-frame-camera-finally-its-way-86812
Because everyone disappointed is here, on PentaxIsDoomedForum
09-19-2015, 10:15 AM - 2 Likes   #341
Pentaxian

There is something going on, typically this darkened hint photo shows up a short time before something real.

What the 'something real' is who knows. The FF body isn't ready yet, but something is.

I suspect that there will be a series of service offering announcements, lens releases, firmware updates, and a layout of the expected dates of the release of all the bits and pieces that make up a full frame offering. As well as a parallel apsc layout, and a 645 future layout. All sprinkled with some technology application in either new products or updates.

What it looks like who knows. Time, frankly, is not of the essence. The Chinese downturn and the softness of the world economy means there won't be record breaking sales no matter what. The reality of survival is paramount, there will be exits from the business, and Ricoh doesn't want to be one. Execution is extraordinarily critical, a make or break proposition and I'm not certain that they have the technological chops quite in place yet. They need a two or three generation jump in some of the core functionality of their offerings, and that is hard, very hard.

As the model consumer for Pentax, what will I buy? Something with better auto focus, even if it purple. Something that is responsive, fast, better iq than my K3, and at least equivalent resolution. A lens that is as long or close to my sigma 500 f4.5 with better iq and focus. A fast, large aperture 70-200 sharp wide open. I would buy a very capable movie mode that I could hold to my eye and that could follow in focus as the viewfinder does on pdaf continuous focus while recording. If that existed i would put up with minor shortcomings otherwise. I want a bright viewfinder with no lag, preferably ocular. It has to be weather resistant.

Not all at the same time, and I already have a bunch of stuff I like and use, and in fact an quite content to continue using for a while yet.
09-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #342
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
If that's what you want go buy a D750/6D/A7 or whatever don't bother waiting. It's not what Ricoh is doing.
Not me... I am only a bystander watching for the initial release of Pentax FF with lots of enthusiasm (and only if it is better than the current competitor models).
09-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #343
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
There is something going on, typically this darkened hint photo shows up a short time before something real.

What the 'something real' is who knows. The FF body isn't ready yet, but something is.

I suspect that there will be a series of service offering announcements, lens releases, firmware updates, and a layout of the expected dates of the release of all the bits and pieces that make up a full frame offering. As well as a parallel apsc layout, and a 645 future layout. All sprinkled with some technology application in either new products or updates.

What it looks like who knows. Time, frankly, is not of the essence. The Chinese downturn and the softness of the world economy means there won't be record breaking sales no matter what. The reality of survival is paramount, there will be exits from the business, and Ricoh doesn't want to be one. Execution is extraordinarily critical, a make or break proposition and I'm not certain that they have the technological chops quite in place yet. They need a two or three generation jump in some of the core functionality of their offerings, and that is hard, very hard.

As the model consumer for Pentax, what will I buy? Something with better auto focus, even if it purple. Something that is responsive, fast, better iq than my K3, and at least equivalent resolution. A lens that is as long or close to my sigma 500 f4.5 with better iq and focus. A fast, large aperture 70-200 sharp wide open. I would buy a very capable movie mode that I could hold to my eye and that could follow in focus as the viewfinder does on pdaf continuous focus while recording. If that existed i would put up with minor shortcomings otherwise. I want a bright viewfinder with no lag, preferably ocular. It has to be weather resistant.

Not all at the same time, and I already have a bunch of stuff I like and use, and in fact an quite content to continue using for a while yet.
Derek, you-da-man!

Your analysis is so right on. Do you work for a consulting firm? Your language is consulting/expert speak and I know companies pay big bucks for that. And I agree with your wish list.

With that said, I think the real threat is from the smart phone industry not necessarily from other camera manufacturers. Camera sales numbers are dropping because phones are offering more advanced camera functions with every new release. I know they will not replace cameras totally but you know the old adage, "the best camera is the one you have with you when the moment is right." And you know with our phones literally glued to our hands 24/7, they are bound to put a dent in the camera (still and video) industry sales.
09-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #344
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
You are betting on wrong guys. Do not let your anxiousness spoil everything.
Pentax may be late, but not that late to deliver a one of a kind camera and lenses.
What they deliver will blow away anything on the market.

Pentax is late. Pentax is generations late.
09-19-2015, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #345
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is just Dreaming of a fool. There is only one large sensor and that is not a fast reading sensor to drop out 4k or 5k or 6k video. We can Dream and Imagine all we want, but that doesn't make it realistic.
The Pentax FF and the sensors of RED have something in common: RED sensors are the Mysteriums, while Pentax FF is a mystery :-)