Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #421
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think Ricoh started too late - the project, AFAIK, was started in 2012 (no idea when in 2012). In October 2012 they said the FF project was under development; the translated interview was posted right here. Given that they bought Pentax in October 2011...
It is taking some time, but perhaps there were so many issues e.g. with the sorry state Pentax was in after Hoya. It's not like the pipeline was going full steam ahead.

Often, people who try to see things as they are, especially the bad parts, are called 'apologists'. But they simply state facts, they offer no apology for them. Weird.
I don't think it is Ricoh's fault per se, but Hoya should have been working on full frame plans long before Ricoh took over. The fact that things were in disarray and required consolidation, rehiring/hiring new employees for the camera division all meant that any new projects took awhile to get green lighted.

Hoya was definitely treading water and the whole time falling farther and farther behind the pack with regard to camera performance. Ricoh has changed that and has been releasing nicely specified cameras that compete well in the market place. As long as the full frame follows that trend, I will be happy, even if I have to wait for spring.

09-20-2015, 03:34 AM   #422
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Interesting observation...
Actually i'm affraid this kind of informal communication often lacks, which is of growing detrimental concern for the labels, nowadays.
There is probably some antagonism between NDA practices and customer confidence in the long run, and also some kind of "intermediary teasing" that has to be adressed in everyone's interest.
I do wonder what photog label handles that kind of soft-communication at best.
On the other hand Richard Studient is a merchant, and a very good one at that, and the coincidence between you publicly expressing your dissatisfaction and the possibility to change brands and Richard calling you or letting one of his staff call you to announce a brighter future is troubling to say the least.

---------- Post added 09-20-2015 at 12:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by simon_199 Quote
I don't know if someone has already done this, but i have tried to guess the dimensions of the camera from the teaser photos in proportion to the diameter of the K-mount flange.
For what it's worth (maybe not much since we don't know if it's an actual shot of a real pre-production sample and even if it is, who knows if its appearance is final...) i'm coming up with dimensions of roughly 10.7cm x 13.0 cm, that means outer dimensions not much larger than the K-3. It seems taller to accomodate the bigger prism and viewfinder, but not broader.

(...)
A precise photomontage has been published on xitek forum by a guy under the pseudo of phg79 and then relayed by Digital Camera Info, Photo Rumors, RiceHigh and others:

http://forum.xitek.com/forum-viewthread-tid-1500132-extra-page%3D1-ordertype...442678871.html

Here the two pictures (click to enlarge):

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-20-2015 at 03:53 AM.
09-20-2015, 05:56 AM   #423
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
here ya go. Size comparison.
Talk about retro look! The taller prism makes it look like a baby 6x7. I always wanted a 6x7, the new FF might be my chance, "A baby/mini digital 6x7."
I am wondering if the new taller prism holds a new technology?
We talk about what is inside; sensor, GPS, wi-if, etc.. I would not be surprised if it wins lots of design awards just for its looks.

Last edited by btnapa; 09-20-2015 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Text
09-20-2015, 06:01 AM   #424
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
The taller prism makes it look like a baby 6x7. I always wanted a 6x7, the new FF might be my chance, "A baby/mini digital 6x7."
I am wondering if the new taller prism holds a new technology?
Let us hope so! Without knowing the specs I am becoming very concerned by the size. We need better information. At least for me the tease photos have only heightened my concerns that the FF will not have the traditional Pentax tight, compact, tough body. It is possible that the prism housing could contain something special enough to offset the size issue. Again, let's hope.

09-20-2015, 06:15 AM   #425
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Let us hope so! Without knowing the specs I am becoming very concerned by the size. We need better information. At least for me the tease photos have only heightened my concerns that the FF will not have the traditional Pentax tight, compact, tough body. It is possible that the prism housing could contain something special enough to offset the size issue. Again, let's hope.
The Pentax cameras are smaller than most competitors already. A little taller camera may not be a factor. It will be smaller than anything Canikon anyway. The new cool looks... Priceless!
Pack the new Sony 42MP sensor in there and I will take two of them!
09-20-2015, 06:23 AM   #426
Veteran Member

It is possible that the prism housing could contain something special enough to offset the size issue. Again, let's hope.
Like accommodating a FF-sized viewfinder?
09-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #427
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
Like accommodating a FF-sized viewfinder?
Or some kind of (optional) overlay which would provide the functionality of a top EVF?

09-20-2015, 06:44 AM   #428
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
On the other hand Richard Studient is a merchant, and a very good one at that, and the coincidence between you publicly expressing your dissatisfaction and the possibility to change brands and Richard calling you or letting one of his staff call you to announce a brighter future is troubling to say the least.

---------- Post added 09-20-2015 at 12:45 PM ----------

A precise photomontage has been published on xitek forum by a guy under the pseudo of phg79 and then relayed by Digital Camera Info, Photo Rumors, RiceHigh and others:

http://forum.xitek.com/forum-viewthread-tid-1500132-extra-page%3D1-ordertype...442678871.html

Here the two pictures (click to enlarge):

The reason for the teaser body being blacked out is that Ricoh has not finalized the shape, size or design. They are not far enough along in the development. I don't think we can get much information from comparisons at this point.

Last edited by Winder; 09-20-2015 at 07:12 AM.
09-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #429
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If they use same design on the sensor shift mechanism, the SR frame for the FF it has to be larger as the sensor is larger, which mean that the pentaprism has to be positioned higher up in the body, and the FF pentaprism is also larger. They might not be able to design a FF DSLR much smaller than this with these parts inside.

The FF DSLR might also have optimized design for handling the camera with large heavy FF zoom lenses.
09-20-2015, 07:12 AM   #430

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The reason for the teaser body being blacked out is that Ricoh has not finalized the shape, size or design. They are not far enough along in the development. I do't think we can get much information from comparisons at this point.
Precisely. Except for the teaser the only other official word from Ricoh is the Feb. press release with states on the bottom "Note: The specifications and exterior design of this product are yet to be finalized."
09-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm curious about any advice / btw what would you do if this had happened to yourself ?

Of course if it calmed my anger, such phone call will not change my attitude or choice in the short to medium term.
I am still not gonna believe anything else before seing what comes out, be that Leica new ILC system or whatever Pentax FF.
09-20-2015, 07:18 AM   #432
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So the fact that the design hadn't been finalized n Feb. means it still hasn't been finalized in August? Is that what you're saying? .... my guess is, that the picture is their latest mock up. The FF does'n't need a lot of tech that isn't in the K-3. Just a larger sensor unit and Pentaprism. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the released photos are exactly what the final will look like. At this point, it is more likely they have a finalized chassis and body and possibly a few working prototypes.
09-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #433
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So the fact that the design hadn't been finalized n Feb. means it still hasn't been finalized in August? Is that what you're saying? .... my guess is, that the picture is their latest mock up. The FF does'n't need a lot of tech that isn't in the K-3. Just a larger sensor unit and Pentaprism. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the released photos are exactly what the final will look like. At this point, it is more likely they have a finalized chassis and body and possibly a few working prototypes.
I would be very surprised if the photos released are "exactly what the final will look like". Because Ricoh has told Kenspro that the photos do not represent the final design.
09-20-2015, 07:57 AM   #434

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So the fact that the design hadn't been finalized n Feb. means it still hasn't been finalized in August? Is that what you're saying? .... my guess is, that the picture is their latest mock up. .
Absolutely. If you look at past press releases for cameras, they all say: "Note: Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice."

PENTAX K-S1 An standard-class digital SLR camera, featuring outstanding imaging performance rivaling that of high-end models, a progressive body design and innovative Body Illumination interface?RICOH IMAGING
PENTAX 645Z A medium-format digital SLR camera featuring a new CMOS image sensor, approximately 51.4 effective megapixels and live-view shooting, for the highest level of creativity and visual expression?RICOH IMAGING
PENTAX K-3The new flagship of the PENTAX K digital SLR camera series, featuring an array of new technologies including a new anti-aliasing simulator?RICOH IMAGING

And indeed, fools think alike:
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Geeze, it's just a mock-up.

Looky Looky! GASP! There is no focus screen! No Mirror! It must have an EVF! OMG! It's MIRRORLESS!

Wait! Wait! There's no sensor either....

LOL!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/304109-rumors-flyin...ml#post3375645

Let's see some comparisons to the much derided ealier black blob mock-up.
09-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #435
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I would be very surprised if the photos released are "exactly what the final will look like". Because Ricoh has told Kenspro that the photos do not represent the final design.
Ah, well then.... it's just a bit of Photoshopped ad copy.