Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2015, 08:12 AM   #436
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
No they want to buy the colour
That's a clever move, Leica with the... dot, Canon with the... ring, they'll all pay licence fees...

09-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #437
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Let us hope so! Without knowing the specs I am becoming very concerned by the size. We need better information. At least for me the tease photos have only heightened my concerns that the FF will not have the traditional Pentax tight, compact, tough body. It is possible that the prism housing could contain something special enough to offset the size issue. Again, let's hope.
Just by the nature of it being a FF means that it will have to be bigger. So comparing it to the apps-c Pentax offerings really isn't fair. It will still be considered tight and compact if it is smaller than the FF competitors. Looking at the renderings compared to the K-3 I was actually pleasantly surprised that it wasn't bigger.

Ultimately I am trying to not take too much stock in a small number of shadowed renderings. A lot can change from a rendering. I would be more interested in comparisons of an actual prototype.
09-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #438
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
So the fact that the design hadn't been finalized n Feb. means it still hasn't been finalized in August? Is that what you're saying? .... my guess is, that the picture is their latest mock up. The FF does'n't need a lot of tech that isn't in the K-3. Just a larger sensor unit and Pentaprism. But I also wouldn't be surprised if the released photos are exactly what the final will look like. At this point, it is more likely they have a finalized chassis and body and possibly a few working prototypes.
On the contrary, the new FF will need a lot of tech that isn't in the K3 or chances are it will sink without trace. A bigger K3 isn't going to cut it as a flagship camera in mid 2016 as we look at new offers from Nikon, Canon, Sony and probably Leica. The bar out there is very high.
09-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #439
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
That's a clever move, Leica with the... dot, Canon with the... ring, they'll all pay licence fees...
Nikon with the Superman underwear...

09-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Not to mention Ferrari and Fire engine manufacturers.
09-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #441
Veteran Member

If we work backwards from a 'spring debut' in 2016 [my bet: CP+ late Feb 2016], which I presume will include (at least) real images of what the real FF looks like, then they have 5 months to finalise the body design. Quite a while.

But hopefully 'debut day' (D-Day), whenever it comes, will reveal more than just art-work. In the past they have made batches of working but pre-production or 'engineering sample' cameras for use around the launch venue, show to the media etc. So well before D-Day Pentax engineers will certainly have a real working design of the camera available. If D-Day is Feb 2016, a working design will probably be ready in January. If they've been busy, it may already be done.
09-20-2015, 08:54 AM - 3 Likes   #442
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

{Uluru}: . . . . . . . . .

What? What? I can't hear you any more.

09-20-2015, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #443

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
You know, sometimes (or maybe most of the time) I really think that people suffer from serious memory issues and confusion in recent years.

1. So many people post comments like "Pentax is 10 years too late", especially on DPR. Really? I guess that means Nikon should've given up, as they didn't have a FF 10 years ago either. The first Nikon FF was the D3 in 2007.

2. Pentax's so called "broken promises", "record of failure", etc. The "MZ-D" prototype was shown in 2001 (before even the first Canon FF, the 1ds, existed), and was officially canceled shortly after. Pentax then said nothing official about FF for the next 13.5 years until CP+ 2015. This week marks the very first and only official FF delay (that wasn't an outright cancellation). People see the PentaxForums 2012 "FF K-3" April Fool's joke, and have been going ballistic ever since based on that nonsense and third hand rumors.

Man, I'd hate to see what they'd say if they had to deal with delays like those in the video game industry, where there can be a decade or more of "release date: TBA" from official announcement.
Anybody whose complaints go beyond mild annoyance definitely does not know the "brief history of the (DSLR) universe" as it were. You're right, in the realm of delays, secrets, even betrayal, Nikon still takes the cake with their DX->FX transition.

Before the D3 was announced in 2007, five years after Canon's 1Ds, Nikon's corporate marketing mantra was die-hard DX. They repeatedly made official statements (well, interviews at least) that DX was (TLDR) the brightest possible future of DSLR technology, and they were fully committed to supporting it as a format for hard-working pros and amateurs alike.

Then, practically overnight, the D3 and D700 came out, and Nikon hasn't released a serious DX lens since then. They only ever got around to making 2-3 serious / pro grade DX lenses, period actually, and by 2007 / 2008 they were only interested in rehashing the D300 with the D300s, and we havnen't seen a flagship style crop-sensor body since then. Let alone a full-body (vertical grip) DX body since then, but hey, nobody would buy that anyways so who can blame them.

Also keep in mind that both Nikon and Canon (And Kodak!) early forrays into the full-frame world were in the $5,000-$8,000 range. It took a generation or two before they even had the ability to deliver in the $3,000 range, and another generation or two before they could deliver in the $2,000 range.

Now, at least half the "K-FF3" rumors are putting it at under $3,000, and with either of what are arguably the two most cutting-edge full-frame sensors available.

To me, that is worth waiting for.

Don't get me wrong, the broken "promises" and delays are really tough to deal with, and I hope they follow through with this "final" promise, and I hope the camera is a wild success that affords them the hiring of some new team members to bring future cameras to market sooner.

For the record, I'm a semi-former Nikon user who is very excited to join the Pentax ranks for my adventure photography and astro-landscape photography. I'm not particularly overwhelmed by what Nikon or Sony or Canon are doing for guys like me right now, whereas Pentax is offering amazing cameras like the K-3 II which have features galore right up my alley. I really, really hope that this is a successful endeavor for Pentax, since as a highly nostalgic camera buyer (I still have my grandfather's Asahi Pentax K1000 on display next to my Nikon FM3) ...I would hate to see Pentax slowly fail as a company right as I'm beginning to invest in them, and right as they seem to be hitting their digital stride...
09-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #444
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would be very surprised if the photos released are "exactly what the final will look like". Because Ricoh has told Kenspro that the photos do not represent the final design.
Well the France store said that the october 6th would be presentation for FF and cancelation was a surprise. So I guess that at least the outer side of the new camera body would be in final stage.
09-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #445
Pentaxian

MY best guess is, they could change a few doo dads but the basic shape is probably pretty close. But, it won't be final until the tool and die guys start producing the stamping blanks. Based on a fall release, I would have expected that would have been done by now, but who knows, maybe it hasn't.
09-20-2015, 09:03 AM   #446
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well the France store said that the october 6th would be presentation for FF and cancelation was a surprise. So I guess that at least the outer side of the new camera body would be in final stage.
where is that fact to be found?
6ht of october is just because asahi men said it would.
09-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #447
Pentaxian

They want to prevent anybody registering any design elements before it is official. Asahiman says that the spring launch was already planned in July and there will be an announcement on October sixth.
09-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #448
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If we work backwards from a 'spring debut' in 2016 [my bet: CP+ late Feb 2016], which I presume will include (at least) real images of what the real FF looks like, then they have 5 months to finalise the body design. Quite a while.

But hopefully 'debut day' (D-Day), whenever it comes, will reveal more than just art-work. In the past they have made batches of working but pre-production or 'engineering sample' cameras for use around the launch venue, show to the media etc. So well before D-Day Pentax engineers will certainly have a real working design of the camera available. If D-Day is Feb 2016, a working design will probably be ready in January. If they've been busy, it may already be done.
It's not like a mere teaser in its first stage (i.e. with most detail hidden) would represent the real state of design. That's why they're called teasers, because they're slowly revealing detail about a soon to be announced product (and because of this teaser, I still think some announcement - though not a market launch - perhaps even on 6th October, could still happen. Could they keep it for months, instead?).
At this point they might still have 2-3 design versions, but since they initially planned for a late 2015 announcement, the design could very well be finalized.
09-20-2015, 09:07 AM   #449
Pentaxian

Good Grief!
Attached Images

09-20-2015, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #450
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It feels like a marathon race where a mile before the finish line they added another 20 miles to it.