09-21-2015, 01:52 AM   #466
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
6D? Big mistake
Why ?

09-21-2015, 01:59 AM   #467
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
That surprises me really. That a Pentax user would switch to canon, maybe Nikon, but canon? As far as Pentax support goes in Romania, you have excellent support in Torino Italy, that will cover your gear as long as it is purchased in Europe and there service is outstanding. They also cover Nital (Nikon), so they know what they are doing. I hope that you you find the canon works for you really.
What can I say, I'm in love with Canon from the very first moment I touch a Canon 7D (several years ago).
I tried a few Nikon cameras, but I hadn't the same filling with neither of them. I also had several chances to shot with Canon 6D and the love for Canon is still there.

And what works for me...works for me. It has been Pentax until 2 days ago, now is Canon. In a few years...who knows
09-21-2015, 02:14 AM   #468
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
And what works for me...works for me. It has been Pentax until 2 days ago, now is Canon. In a few years...who knows
And that is the way it should be. Enjoy your photography, and you new camera

Ross
09-21-2015, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #469
Pentaxian

You think? I just sold all my Pentax gear 2 days ago and today I'm going to buy Canon 6D with a couple of lenses. Canon and Nikon are not worried about Pentax. If they worry about something, I think it's the increasing sales of Sony.
PRO photographers will not switch from Canon/Nikon to Pentax, at least not in the next 4-6 years.

Pentax need some important improvements in:
- service
- autofocus
- flash systems
- lenses

I love Pentax, but then again, if the specs are not interesting to me (and Sony 42mp sensor is not), then I'll have nothing else to choose from (there is no other full frame available).

Even if I had Pentax K-3 II, for me the best camera that I owned from Pentax was K-5 II.
Enjoy 6D I had one. It is a fantastic camera. That was the last Canon I owned before switching to K5IIs then to K3.

As to the better stuff you are looking to get out of Canon, as a Canon digital camera owner for almost 13 years, I got fed up with them.

1. Better service, BIG yes. This is the only item on your list I can concur with.
2. Autofocus - the good autofocus is in their $5K plus cameras. Otherwise all the overpriced mid-range cameras including the much heralded 5D MarkIII too suck at it. A pro wedding photographer of mine has one and he is fed up with it.
3. Their flash system is the main reason I switched. Just two word, It sucks.
4. Lenses - yes they have pro stuff but you pay an-arm-n-leg for it. Especially the stablized ones.

As to people switching to Pentax, I said "might" not will.

Yes I agree 100 percent that Sony is what Canon and Nikon are worried about. Specifically the A7 mirrorless series.

What a Pentax 42 or even 36MP FF will offer that Canon or Nikon guys might find interesting is not just the MP count but:
1. Compact form
2. Built like a tank construction at vey attractive price. One word "value"
3. IBIS - free stabilization on ALL your lenses
4. Decent flash system. Nikon is king here but Canon is no better than Pentax
5. Enough lenses for most pro work, except perhaps sports. Canon and Nikon lead here but you pay $5-6k for a body (as a pro you need two, backup) and another $6-10k apiece for long glass. Perhaps you need two of them plus some short lenses. Total cost $30-35k. Definitely not your average user budget
6. Better dynamic range than Canon not Nikon
7. Astrotracer for night shooters
8. Pixel shift for all sorts of hi-res apps. I did art reproduction for artists back in the days. A camera like this would have saved me tons of work. And so many other hi-res uses.
9 Did I mention reasonable cost. Yes you can get two as a pro and still have money left over for food!

Would die-hard Canon and Nikon guys sell off their beloved cameras to flock to Pentax, not by a long shot. But Pentax offers a cost effective platform to do pro still work at fraction of the cost of Canon or Nikon.

I agree with you the real threat to all camera manufacturers is Sony. They offer the best of both worlds including 4K video. If I were a serious video shooter, I would have swithced by now not to Canon or Nikon but Sony.

As a still shooter Pentax offers me the best APSc camera for now until the best FF camera comes out in a few months.

Am I switching in the next 4-6 years, if Pentax gives me what they have promised, I don't think so... Homey don't do that!

09-21-2015, 02:32 AM   #470
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Why ?
It's an older entry level FF, from many points of view (except being part of the EF system and the larger sensor area) would be a step down from a K-3II, IMHO. But obviously not everyone have to agree with this

Unfortunately the service part is true - the Romanian Pentax market is simply too small to support a real service, so repairs are done 'outside' (Bulgaria, Germany). IMO that's where Ricoh Imaging should step in, and help small distributors to improve their level of support.
09-21-2015, 02:35 AM   #471
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What can I say, I'm in love with Canon from the very first moment I touch a Canon 7D (several years ago).
I tried a few Nikon cameras, but I hadn't the same filling with neither of them. I also had several chances to shot with Canon 6D and the love for Canon is still there.

If you like it than that's fine. It would be hard for me to take the dynamic range hit at low iso and my understanding is that other than the center point on the 6D, the auto focus isn't great. But there aren't bad cameras out there at this point and if you know what they are doing, they all take decent photos.

On the subject of selling gear, if you sell in the right places (the market place or e bay), you can sell Pentax gear pretty fast. The hardest thing is that when the new price is lower than what you paid, you have to take a good chunk off the new price for used gear to get it to move. When I see gear in the market place that doesn't move, it is usually that it is priced on the high end of things -- fine if the seller can get that out of the lens, but you often have to wait awhile for the right buyer to come along.
09-21-2015, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #472
Pentaxian

I owned two 7D cameras along with a 6D. The 6D was fantastic. The 7D, decent upto ISO 400, not so good beyond 800. That is why I sold both of the 7D cameras. I paid $1,800 each when I bought them. A $900 k3 works circles around a 7D.

Enjoy your 6D though. I loved mine when I owned one. If you want decent glass, look into Tamron as an alternative. Canon is asking twice the money without twice the performance. I owned the Tammy 24-70 VC which was fantastic. I wish they offered it in Pentax mount. Ditto for the Tamron 70-200 VC and their 90 macro.

09-21-2015, 02:50 AM   #473
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Enjoy 6D I had one. It is a fantastic camera. That was the last Canon I owned before switching to K5IIs then to K3.
Thank you, I know I will.

4. Lenses - yes they have pro stuff but you pay an-arm-n-leg for it. Especially the stablized ones.
In Romania, Pentax 70-200mm f2.8 costs a little more than 70-200mm f2.8L II IS from Canon. Also, FA31mm it's more expensive than Canon 35mm f1.4 L.

9 Did I mention reasonable cost. Yes you can get two as a pro and still have money left over for food!
Let's see the specs and the price of the full frame from Pentax. But I agree with you when you say that Pentax cameras are built like tanks, and that they are compact.

I agree with you the real threat to all camera manufacturers is Sony. They offer the best of both worlds including 4K video. If I were a serious video shooter, I would have swithced by now not to Canon or Nikon but Sony.
I don't like the viewfinder from Sony...this is the main reason I didn't went to Sony.
09-21-2015, 02:59 AM   #474
Pentaxian

The 70-200 is not yet on the market though while the M.Y. 2010 Canon has a 10% discount (but it's full price is slightly higher than the Pentax). Besides, if you apply a 22% discount for the 70-200...
09-21-2015, 03:11 AM   #475
Pentaxian

Thank you, I know I will.

In Romania, Pentax 70-200mm f2.8 costs a little more than 70-200mm f2.8L II IS from Canon. Also, FA31mm it's more expensive than Canon 35mm f1.4 L.

Let's see the specs and the price of the full frame from Pentax. But I agree with you when you say that Pentax cameras are built like tanks, and that they are compact.

I don't like the viewfinder from Sony...this is the main reason I didn't went to Sony.
Yes the Pentax 70-200 and the 150-450 are priced similar to Canon in the U.S. 31 Limited is much cheaper than the Canon 35L and it is stablized. Pentax 100 macro less than half of Canon 100 macro. Overall Pentax is cheaper not cheap. You get Legendary Asahi glass. It should cost more than Canon but overall it is cheaper.

I did not like the first gen Sony EVF. The new EVFs are much better. Not as good as OVF but EVF has many practical and crucial advantages.

With Nikon 810 and Canon 5DsR priced at $3-3.5k, Pentax has to price the FF in the low to mid $2k range. Time will tell. It is just my guess. History say it will be cheaper than Nikon and Canon. It will pack more features for less money. Just like K3 did when it first came out followed by the K3II.
09-21-2015, 08:27 AM   #476

Originally posted by biz-engineer

"So, regarding the FF delay (if there is one), we can see that the majority of forum members were expecting it this year, and are now disappointed (a lot of K-5 owners did not upgrade to a K-3 and a number of them are planning to purchase a full frame instead), and some of them already wanting a FF may switch to another brand. Now for those who recently upgraded to a K-3 (I believe it is far from the majority of Pentaxians), they are generally not in hurry to buy a new camera. For for the 80%+ who have a K-5, postponing the FF camera is a loss of immediate revenue and additional loss of some Pentaxians."

I fail to understand this belief that most or even a majority of K-5 or K-3 owners can't wait to upgrade to a full-frame dslr. I understand that there are some advantages to ff, but there are also advantages to ASPC, more manageable size of camera bodies & lens, more reach for telephoto lens, & affordability. I'm willing to spend up to $1100-1200 for a new camera like the K-3 with a 18-135mm kit lens, but not $1600 + for a ff body-only Nikon or Canon entry level ff camera. I'm pretty sure that most non-advanced amateur, non-semi-pro or non-pro photographers have similar spending limits. The people that are willing to pay $500-900 for a dslr plus kit lens certainly aren't. While I do own a Nikon D700, I'm quite happy with & much prefer using my K-5 or K-3 as apposed to the D700. While I might eventually buy a ff Pentax, it would have to have a usable crop mode resolution, otherwise I'm not interested.

Last edited by BryantCP; 09-21-2015 at 08:34 AM.
09-21-2015, 11:48 AM   #477
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I sold of almost all my Pentax gear. Some last year (stuff I didn't used enough) and some before Summer. It is not easy to sell Pentax gear as it was a few years ago. I upgraded my camera's frequently so I used 5 different K-5's and never had trouble selling it. My K-3 Silver was hard to sell and dropping the price did it. I used a lot of different lenses, bought them and sold them of some time later, some new some second hand and that always went great. The hardst to sell was the Sigma 70-200/f2.8 EX DG OS HSS. ........The latest version of this lens. There was like almost no market for. That is a great lens and Sigma probably stopped making it for K-mount because there was no Demand for it. This lens is half the price of the up coming Pentax offering and I don't see that flying of the shelves. Hardest to sell was FA-31mm because I think That everyone who wants it by now owns it. There are lots of DA*300mm lenses in the market.

Still own my K -01 with a lens.
The reality is that like it or not the lenses you own are legacy now. People prepare for the FF and sell DA lenses. People see that new lenses are DC and they want that instead of SDM or screwdrive. If you are thinking of buying a FA ltd you have to wonder if you should not wait 1-2 years until the new version is released. You'll either get a better lense or have the old one cheaper.

The sigma will have likely soon a new version available in Pentax and third party never keep their price as well as genuine. Plus if you want a cheap 70-200, there the tamron that is going to cost less new than what many would ask from a used sigma. For people that want the best, the sigma is no longer the best. People are waiting for the new 70-200 from Pentax.

DA*300? This was the lense to go for many people that wanted pentax because it was simply the longest focal length that was still affordable. IQ is great, you can mount a TC too. Now this is not officially an FF lense and the 150-450 look like to offer more if you need the reach...

For me what you experienced just show that the moment to invest in legacy Pentax gear if you don't mind SDM/screwdrive or getting "DA" lenses. Doesn't mean Pentax is doomed or whatever.

Also we are still in a worldwide crisis, people are globaly more cautious and will want better deal to justify to spend their hard earned money !
09-21-2015, 01:10 PM   #478
Veteran Member

Here is a comparison to the K3 II:

The top plate looks to be maybe 5mm higher. The width seems about the same. The bottom plate of the FF is not straight across like the K3 II. There is less camera on the bottom of the FF between the grip and the lens mount and at the bottom of the left end. That prism looks humongous.
09-21-2015, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #479
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I dunno about you but it looks ridiculously small for an FF cam.
09-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #480
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, nuts to this waiting crap... I just blew my FF wad and put it towards my wife's new car instead.

So... my K5 classic will have to bravely soldier on, taking great images like it always has.

Oh, the humanity!

Now I just have to start saving up again for the spring... our anniversary is in the spring... hmmm... never hurts to have brownie points with the misses.
Eric