Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #556
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There can't be a K-3 III, that would just be wrong, they should go straight to K-3 IV

09-23-2015, 08:41 AM   #557
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Will the new lens have a red ring?
09-23-2015, 08:44 AM   #558
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Gold and Green and Red (but that will be the weather seal at the mount).
09-23-2015, 08:54 AM   #559
ars
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There can't be a K-3 III, that would just be wrong, they should go straight to K-3 IV
Heard in Japan "4" is kind of an unlucky number. So K-3-IV is very unlikely K-III-V.

09-23-2015, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #560
Pentaxian

How about a multicolored LED stripe instead?
<ducks>
09-23-2015, 09:07 AM   #561

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well there are rumors that Samsung might step out of the camera business and that would make the NX system very dead! Talking about gloom and doom......NX might be the first to die. That is also my objective look at that system, no buyers.

I stated last year januari that the market was shrinking and would do that for some time to come. Well it is still shrinking and not yet any sign of stopping. I also statet that when the camera market is less then half in money then it was before, not all manufacturers could survive. I think we Are going to see a shake out with some members stepping out of the camera business.

---------- Post added 23-09-15 at 15:59 ----------

Well 645Z is just a K-3 with an even bigger sensor for $7,999.
So may i ask you what your replacement for will look like?
09-23-2015, 09:32 AM   #562
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rullrich Quote
So may i ask you what your replacement for will look like?
Replacement for what? Currently i'm not buying anything myself.

09-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #563
Veteran Member

Who would pay $2,999 for that? It's an $800 K-3 with a big sensor.
Bigger sensor -> better OVF (all else being equal). I'd pay for that.

Well 645Z is just a K-3 with an even bigger sensor for $7,999.
As I understand it it also has an uncrippled mount. (Granted it's a different mount, but still.) Not that this is expensive to manufacture or anything.
09-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #564
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
To everyone who thinks that the FF cam will feature the new Sony 42 MP sensor: don't delude yourselves. That sensor is extremely new, still exclusive to Sony, and I harbor many doubts that it'll even make it to Nikon. Also, for those of you who weren't paying attention, the amount of pixels of that sensor was chosen for 4K scalability, something that neither Nikon nor Pentax will really take advantage of.
Considering the timeframe of such a large project, the sensor must've been chosen years ago. It's much more likely that Sony have been working on an improved 36 MP chip, that Pentax could be the first to use. Maybe a version of that chip with OSPDAF, which would make the upcoming camera much more versatile and capable in live view. Of course, the venerable 24 MP one is also a possibility, but it's showing its age now, and would make for a bad start of the new Pentax line.
I personally hope it's the 36 MP sensor, for two reasons: first, it's been proven to work exceedingly well, and is reliable; second, it's little more than the very good 16 MP APS-C chip scaled up, and we know that Pentax did an excellent job of optimizing it.
Man let's be clear, IF and I really say IF. So if the sensor have to be decided many years in advance to a camera design, this apply to Sony too. So they decided they sensor year in advence and had the specs for it at least. Sony must give the spec to other manufacturer a bit in advence too because other brand don't incorporate Sony sensor 3 or 5 years after they are released into Sony cameras but much sooner. And in that case Pentax had all the time for the 42MP BSI.

Now maybe Sony sensor have kind of common interface and actually many things in common like the way to process them and so on and you could do a fast tweak to adapt to a new sensor from same manufacturer... So maybe you need only to have the final specs of the sensor 1 year or 1 years and a half in advence or maybe less and Sony can still provide the specs anyway when they see fit.

Yes maybe Sony dediced to keep the 42MP sensor for them or maybe they did just wanted a exclusivity of a few months. Reality is they own a small market share with their on cameras and they sell lot of sensor to other brand. The whole thing that allow them to have better sensor is because they make a lot of them, have so lot of money for research and so on... If they stop selling their best sensor to the other, the other can go ask Samsumg, Toshiba or whatever for their camera and Sony sales drop and sony can't innovate anymore. Toshiba/Samsung improve and take the market for themselve.

Reality is we have no clue and we could speculate for hours. Kenspo said it would be the 42MP sensor if I recall well and honestly I trust him. At least untill we know better that's better than pure speculation among people like you or me that don't know a bit what are the current Sony or Pentax strategy or the time in advence you need to know the sensor you'll use.
09-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #565
Pentaxian

The difference between a 36MP sensor and a 42 MP sensor, is a less than between, 10 and 6 MP. More like the difference between my 12 MP K-x and my 14 MP K-20-D, which was not really noticeable at all. Sometimes 6 MP just isn't worth considering, at least not all by itself.There'd have to be an awful lot better camera for me to be thinking buying a 42 MP camera instead of a 36 MP camera, because the images are going to be nearly identical.

Last edited by normhead; 09-23-2015 at 12:19 PM.
09-23-2015, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #566
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The difference between a 36MP sensor and a 42 MP sensor, is a less than between, 10 and 6 MP. More like the difference between my 12 MP K-x and my 14 MP K-20-D, which was not really noticeable at all. Sometimes 6 MP just isn't worth considering, at least not all by itself.There'd have to ba an awful lot better camera for me to be thinking buying a 42 MP camera instead of a 36 MP camera, because the images are going to be nearly identical.
But these go to 11...
09-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #567
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
But these go to 11...
Well then... there ya go.
09-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #568
Veteran Member

Don't for get to at least also test the old Made In Japan version against te Assembled In Vietnam!

---------- Post added 23-09-15 at 09:47 ----------

You all have very big Dreams. ........

It's probably:

• 24 megapixels full frame sensor
  • prime ïïï processor with 14-bit RAW in DNG
  • safox Xi with 27 af points
  • bus speed for writing to sdxc cardate max out to 45 MB/s as with K-3
  • frame rates 8,3 fps
  • frame rates with AF-C as with k-3 around 4 fps
  • swiffelscreen
  • body type and materialen as in ķ-#
  • big OVF, 0,7 magnification
  • No on board flash
  • No on board gps
  • No on board wifi
  • crippled mount
  • flash sync 1/180 of a second
  • battery D-Li90 good for 400 shots
  • on board Shake Reduction good for 2 f-stops better performance
  • price will be 2.999 dollar
Actually no one would buy that but if you change it a bit:

- 42MP pixel BSI sensor
- Pixel Shift, Optionnal low pass filtering, astro tracer and other Pentax specific stuff already incomporated in K3-II.
- Wifi because they tried it in K-S2
- 600-900 shoot autonomy, double with grip.
- Really Improved algorithm for AF-C and spread out AF sensor to match the FF area (but maybe still 27).

Option
- Better video benefiting of the better sensor.

To me that is much more likely, that then a great price and make a great FF modern and capable camera with all the bell and whisles + some unique Pentax feature like being smaller, more robust, incomporating SR, pixel shift and astro tracer, a quite high FPS for a high a DSLR FF. The iso performance of the 42MP BSI give you A7r performance without the assle of being limited all the time the 12MP with low pass filter... It would instantly make all previously FF from other brands worse in many aspects than the Pentax.

And for Pentax that actually quite feasible to do just that. Much easier than for Canon to improve their sensor to match Sony performance or for Nikon to add SR support...
09-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #569
Pentaxian

Since I have the K-3, I process images with the K-3 itself, because the 32bits processor of my old laptop is too slow with the 24Mp. If I'd upgrade to a FF 36Mp or 42Mp, smoke would come out of the 32 bits CPU.
So, not only I should save money for a FF cam; but in addition I also have to save money for a new computer and more HDD storage.
09-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #570
Veteran Member

The difference between a 36MP sensor and a 42 MP sensor, is a less than between, 10 and 6 MP. More like the difference between my 12 MP K-x and my 14 MP K-20-D, which was not really noticeable at all. Sometimes 6 MP just isn't worth considering, at least not all by itself.There'd have to be an awful lot better camera for me to be thinking buying a 42 MP camera instead of a 36 MP camera, because the images are going to be nearly identical.
I agree but by pure number people will prefer more even if that's stupid... So for marketing you'd prefer 42.

Now the 42MP sensor has better high iso performance and can accomodate faster FPS and better video. That's good to take and I don't think Sony would have a 36MP sensor without the other attributes anyway.

This way Pentax can also hope to get the higher DxO scores of any camera ever or at least on par with the latest Sony (and maybe soon Nikon). If they manage to do it as well as they did for the K5 and tune the things a bit they could really be the best performing existing FF, that combined with the soon to be released 645Z results in DxO would put Pentax products in top positions for scoring. Again that maybe marketing but that will shake some people and can be an argument to switch for some, in particular if they come from Canon that has some limitations in term of dynamic range, shadow recovery and high iso performance.

Lastly they are not put to any disadventages toward other brands except Canon and it's 50MP but then again 36 vs 50 is noticable while 42 vs 50 is not huge. But being in the same league allow to concentrate on the unique selling features: SR, pixel shift, optional low pass filter... If you have less than the other, that a more difficult sell.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 09-23-2015 at 12:32 PM.