Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 265 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #751
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
It seems a sad truth that many threads are moving to similar discourse...... no real choice but to unsubscribe really. Hopefully many positive threads still to come!
As you unsuscribed you'll not see but really why then did you subscribe? 99.9% of the information was in the first post.

The rest is people commenting the story and giving their own point of view: they will have more money available by then, they have a critical project that need FF before. Ricoh did it because they changed sensor. No you need 3-5 years to integrate a new sensor. They did it because of the on board flash... No that would be stupid. They did know from the begining and that was part of their strategy: Ricoh lied, is in bed with your wife, is responsible for all cancer in the world. Anyway, the Pentax FF with be very expensive and un-interresting. a K3 with larger sensor for 3000€ and Pentax market share is so tiny that they will go bankupt soon: Not safe to invest in anything related to Pentax.

What you mainly see is people expressing their disapointment will waiting for more real news.

The day something meaningfull will happen PentaxForum will directly send you a mail and many other threads will pop up to cover it. As usual the first post will give 99.9% of the information, the next 50 page will discussion of it to the death.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 10-01-2015 at 11:52 AM.
10-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #752
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
"Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door", goes the old saying. If this mousetrap is as good as the 645Z, it will put Pentax back on the map in a very big way.

I want this thing to come out, I want to know what it's like and what it can do, and if it's a seamlessly integrated package that's going to play well with all my glass and be easy to use straight out of the box, I don't give a damn if the raw numbers (ISO, fps, MP, etc) aren't the best; I'll still buy it (eventually) as the heart of a well-thought-out and well-built system.
Ricoh has patents for a switchable mirror, hybrid OVF, and new PDAF technology. All of those could be significant parts of building a better mouse trap.
10-01-2015, 12:27 PM   #753
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
As usual the first post will give 99.9% of the information, the next 50 page will discussion of it to the death.
Which, let's face it, is why some of us are here.
10-03-2015, 08:51 AM   #754

Oh not it isn't!

10-03-2015, 09:00 AM   #755
Pentaxian

It is good entertainment for the retired among us.
10-03-2015, 10:17 AM   #756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It is good entertainment for the retired among us.
And a huge time waster for those of us who are supposed to be working..............
10-03-2015, 10:40 AM   #757
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And a huge time waster for those of us who are supposed to be working..............
You work?

10-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #758
Pentaxian

Week-end time
10-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #759
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You work?
Sadly, yes. Or I'm supposed to. M-F with my 'real' gig and weekends on the photo business. I would hate to know how many hours this site has sucked out of my day, though usually I only check in when doing image processing or uploads so I guess it is idle time.
10-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #760
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Sadly, yes. Or I'm supposed to. M-F with my 'real' gig and weekends on the photo business. I would hate to know how many hours this site has sucked out of my day, though usually I only check in when doing image processing or uploads so I guess it is idle time.
I think that is one of the things I find interesting about the commentary on this thread and PF generally. There are professional photographers here and there are amateurs.

I am an amateur, but one of the reasons I have a Pentax DSLR is my work - I was doing far too much, and needed a creative and different outlet, that got me out of 'work' mode and into something that didn't involve me thinking about my work 24/7. So that got me back to photography a few years ago. After a journey that included a Nikon D200 and a Leica Digilux 2, I landed with a Pentax K5 (after carefully considering it against a Nikon D7000).

My photography is essentially for my own enjoyment and sanity, so I guess I am not as invested in the great gear debate as some others are - simply because my current K3 is more camera than I actually need, I enjoy using it, I like the small size for travel, and whilst I buy new Pentax lenses, I also enjoy mucking around with old manual focus ones (K's and M's) and there are plenty of those about. The wide availability of old K and M42 lenses for Pentax was one of the factors that went into why I brought into the system in the first place.

So, I will probably buy the new Pentax Full Frame - not because I particularly need it, but because I will enjoy using it, it will extend my photography in some areas, and I can afford it. I think having the FF will improve my use of some of the old manual FF glass. If it is a bit late next year it really doesn't impact me, but I am looking forward to seeing the specifications and abilities that arrive with that camera.

As I have previously stated on other threads, I think Ricoh has a long term interest in improving its imaging across the range, and competing with Canon - so I am looking forward to what they bring us over the next few years. Then again, if they reneged on the Pentax FF (which they won't) it wouldn't impact my current photography or use of my K3 and lenses.

If I had one wish for the Pentax it would be more availability of Zeiss glass for K-mount, but then I also enjoy the hunt for rarer old K-mount and Zeiss glass that I can use or convert for K-mount, so I guess I can't have it both ways

I have been following this thread and the mix of negative / positive comments. If I was a professional photographer, with specific needs around the use of strobes or full-frame for a particular type of photography, with the accompanying professional level FF exotic glass, then I guess the chances are I would with be using one of the Canon or Nikon offerings, or something medium format. The thing is, a professional will rent or purchase what they need for the job at hand, or what they can afford. It is a completely different transaction than for an amateur or someone where this is their hobby.

For a professional is it the system, accessories, robustness, fit for purpose, and back up. From what I read in other camera's and commentaries - everyone has issues from time to time. That goes for all the current full frame and medium format vendors. Of course the internet and forums magnify the problems as they get discussed at length.

Will Ricoh build out a professional full frame system, surrounding ecosystem, and support networks - well time will tell there, but they may not even be trying to. That is something that professionals here and with other systems will have to judge and work out, and how the level of support offered impacts on their business and gear selection criteria. Most professionals I know of - shooting Canon or Nikon FF bodies always have 2 bodies in any case - because in the middle of a commercial shoot gear failure is not an option. And bodies can fail.

It will be interesting to see the comments of the professionals here once the Pentax FF arrives, and whether they believe it is a system they can invest in.
10-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #761
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
It will be interesting to see the comments of the professionals here once the Pentax FF arrives, and whether they believe it is a system they can invest in.
+1 on that. Should be a veritable firestorm of comment. But the only thing that really matters is what the images look like.
10-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #762
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

+1 on that. Should be a veritable firestorm of comment. But the only that really matters is what the images look like.
I am sure it will make this thread look short and pithy

I agree entirely with your comment about what the images look like. I think sometimes in all the commentary here people forget that.

I continue to be very happy with what the K3 gives me, and the combination of Pentax sensor tuning and glass in terms of colour and look. It appeals to me. Hopefully the FF will be a continuation of that.
10-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #763
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
I agree entirely with your comment about what the images look like. I think sometimes in all the commentary here people forget that.
And the actual gear used has far less impact on that than most would care to admit. I did a show a few weeks back and the man in the booth next to me had some truly amazing work. Made my efforts look rather amateurish (though in the end we sold about the same.) He made a point of apologizing for using only his elderly Rebel since he felt he could not afford a 'good' camera. I was afraid to tell him what my camera bag contents were worth. But what he used would not have mattered, no one was pixel peeping or checking his corners for softness. They were standing back and oohing and awhing, because his images were magnificent.
10-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #764
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

And the actual gear used has far less impact on that than most would care to admit. I did a show a few weeks back and the man in the booth next to me had some truly amazing work.
Exactly. Look at what the worlds great photographers have produced using 'rudimentary' gear. It is the photographer, their vision, and how they achieve that vision that is what makes the difference, not gear.
10-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #765
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And the actual gear used has far less impact on that than most would care to admit. I did a show a few weeks back and the man in the booth next to me had some truly amazing work. Made my efforts look rather amateurish (though in the end we sold about the same.) He made a point of apologizing for using only his elderly Rebel since he felt he could not afford a 'good' camera. I was afraid to tell him what my camera bag contents were worth. But what he used would not have mattered, no one was pixel peeping or checking his corners for softness. They were standing back and oohing and awhing, because his images were magnificent.
You remind of an article I read in Amateur Photographer, way back in my youth, where the merits of a particular photograph being exhibited were lauded. These were the days when I had an Agfa Isola and a Kodak developing kit, and the advertisements touted Voigtlanders and Leicas. It turns out the photograph in question was taken with a Box Brownie, but the photographer had waited patiently until the scene was appropriately lit, and the clouds were arranged "just so". All of this occurred in the context of a discussion about whose plate camera was the best!

Plus ça change…