Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New rumors (maybe): factory service center in US, 42 MP sensor for FF

I saw this :

Pentax Full Frame DSLR Camera Delayed, Coming in Spring 2016

And the rumors said the upcoming Pentax Full Frame DSLR Camera will feature Sony a7RII’s 42.4MP Sensor. And it will be priced around $3,000.

Below is what the Tamron rep said:

#1. Ricoh is going to open a factory service center in the US in 2016. ---- Great! Want that happen more than FF camera!

#2. The new full frame Pentax will have the Sony 42 MP sensor from the a7RII.

#3. Tamron will be adding new Pentax K mount lenses because of the above.

09-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think, may be the agreement between Sony and Pentax about the FF sensor, might be the delay in the release of the Camera.
09-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess all these are good news (except for the price :P )
09-18-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That is what they said: originally pentax planned to use 36 mp sensor, now wanted to use 42 mp

I want 24 mp! I don't need to print 5 ft, and I don't need intensive crop. If I do, I use APC camera. 42 MP sensor will show all the imperfects of old lenses.

09-18-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
42 MP sensor will show all the imperfects of old lenses.
That's the main problem. Now, all FF owners have to upgrade to new HD/high resolution lenses!!
09-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
and I don't need intensive crop.
But APS-C lens users might. I suspect this is what they found to be worthy of delay - that resolution in crop sensor mode on their new flagship didn't match up to native APS-C on the K-3 or K-3-II, so they had to go one better and delay accordingly.

I suspect that Ricoh are allowed to possess the sensor now and have probably had it for some time (how easy is it to go out and buy the relevant Sony camera?). So integration of the new sensor in hardware and firmware is probably either proceeding or already complete for field tests; they just aren't allowed to sell cameras featuring it until the agreement expires.
09-18-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
that resolution in crop sensor mode on their new flagship didn't match up to native APS-C on the K-3 or K-3-II, so they had to go one better and delay accordingly.
I guess you are right.
But why not just use FF lenses on FF camera and use DA lenses on APC cameras? Why should we worry about the resolution on FF in crop model is lower than K3? User can afford $3000 FF camera should be able to afford a 2nd camera of $600 (K3 is about this price right now, K5II is even much lower).
I really don't get the resolution game recently Sony and Canon are playing again recently. 18 mp on K5II and 24MP on A7 are so perfect!

09-18-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw this :

Pentax Full Frame DSLR Camera Delayed, Coming in Spring 2016

And the rumors said the upcoming Pentax Full Frame DSLR Camera will feature Sony a7RII’s 42.4MP Sensor. And it will be priced around $3,000.

Below is what the Tamron rep said:

#1. Ricoh is going to open a factory service center in the US in 2016. ---- Great! Want that happen more than FF camera!

#2. The new full frame Pentax will have the Sony 42 MP sensor from the a7RII.

#3. Tamron will be adding new Pentax K mount lenses because of the above.
It's amazing how far a rumor will travel. See this: 3 Rumors. I posted that back in early June and I've seen it in a dozen places out there in cyberspace.

The latest rumor I heard from my local camera store is that there will be TWO FF Pentax, one with the 42MP sensor and one with a 24MP sensor. Only Ricoh knows for sure.
09-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #9

I guess you are right.
But why not just use FF lenses on FF camera and use DA lenses on APC cameras? Why should we worry about the resolution on FF in crop model is lower than K3? User can afford $3000 FF camera should be able to afford a 2nd camera of $600 (K3 is about this price right now, K5II is even much lower).
I really don't get the resolution game recently Sony and Canon are playing again recently. 18 mp on K5II and 24MP on A7 are so perfect!
You mean 16 mp on K5ii is perfect? :-) well i used the 645z for a while and those 50 mp are yummy 😋 as the ISO and dynamic range. And the sensor of the 42 mp has some potential, Pentax will make more of it then Sony.. (Sony=cooked raw files)
09-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice to see Tamron will be again making their lenses for K-mount though!
09-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I posted that back in early June and I've seen it in a dozen places out there in cyberspace.
I think you were beat by nearly a fortnight:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/297...pentax-ff.html

Others including myself pointed out given a time frame (as of then) of a release before the end of the year it would be highly unlikely that Ricoh would be using this sensor.

And of course Sony may also be releasing an A7Sii in the next month or two - who knows what sensor could be in that?
09-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
It's amazing how far a rumor will travel. See this: 3 Rumors. I posted that back in early June and I've seen it in a dozen places out there in cyberspace.

The latest rumor I heard from my local camera store is that there will be TWO FF Pentax, one with the 42MP sensor and one with a 24MP sensor. Only Ricoh knows for sure.
I've heard that one also but I discounted it. They're really not Nikon.
09-18-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddamski Quote
hose 50 mp are yummy �� as the ISO and dynamic range. And the sensor of the 42 mp has some potential,
50MP on 645z is different, the sensor has 4x bigger area than on APS. So the density is about 12.3 mp on APS.
The 42 mp sensor has smaller pixel than those on 16mp aps sensor. Although I have no doubt tech is progressing and the new sensor should have better low light performance than 16mp old pas sensor, I doubt it has dramatic improvement.

I want a FF first for the field of view, second for its high ISO perforce, but not really for higher resolution.

My computer processes 20MP JPG files well -- it is a mainstream PC, not too fancy, but not out of date either, I just upgraded. but is slow if I use Pentax Utility Software to process the RAW files from 16 or 20 mp cameras. I can not imagine what is going to happen if files are from 42mp sensor.
09-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
(...)

And of course Sony may also be releasing an A7Sii in the next month or two - who knows what sensor could be in that?
They did so last week and one knows about the sensor:

Sony Alpha 7S II records 4K internally, shoots up to ISO 409,600: Digital Photography Review
09-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've settled on the

1. supposition that work had progressed to a do-or-die point around the ageing 36Mp sensor, then they looked at the 42MpBSI sensor - and changed their minds.
  2. supposition that Sony would have sold them the new sensor immediately at a premium price, or with a 6-month 'hold-back' at a better price.
  3. supposition that Marketing was gung-ho to go with the new sensor ASAP and started the directed buzz through their captive leakers, and all was good in Pentaxland, until
  4. supposition Finance nerds said "Nein, Nyet, No!!" last week.