Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 06:02 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
too many features

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Beyond the K-3 II? On-board flash.
Why don't they come out with a blasted CAMERA instead of a machine that needs three PhD's to operate??? The tech industry is myopicly driving everyone in the wrong direction (IMHO). At work, the ex-boss was so enamoured with his own brainy and complex ideas that he totally mismanaged simple things like being invoiced for resources/locations that we did not own anymore. '000's of $$ worth per month. He is now making more money as a consultant using his brainpower in a better way and we are still trying to come to grips with all the complexity of what he left behind, as well as cancelling contracts we don't need anymore.

This is supposed to be about photography. Why not a FF camera with NO features??? TV, AV, M, DOF, high Mpix count, high dynamic range, massive buffer, minimal energy consumption, of course fully WX-proof/cold-proof, built like a tank, cost maybe $1500 street price. That's it. Just buy it and go take pictures!!!

Rant over.

09-19-2015, 06:05 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
EDIT: Mistral75 is quoting Zygonyx from another thread below.What additional features could they possibly add?.
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Beyond the K-3 II? On-board flash.
I'd rather see them use the march of technology to produce a more svelte successor ... and then those who want more heft could always add a battery grip. In fact, it would make sense to have one battery grip that could be used by all cameras of the same generation.

added: I keep looking at my old Super Program and thinking it would be so neat if they could put a digital camera in roughly the same form factor - these days that would be truly radical, memorable, and noticeable. It would have to be a tad larger to accommodate a larger battery and WR, but just a tad.

Last edited by reh321; 09-19-2015 at 06:10 PM. Reason: added thought
09-19-2015, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
too many features
Foe users like us from film era, simple cameras are great: I don't need video, don't need 10 frame/s, don't need auto correction, don't need in camera HDR, don't need GPS, don't need Wi-Fi, I will buy a camera that has no AF, no SR if priced good enough. I can even take the rear LCD screen off to save some $.

But new users want them, the camera makes have please them first to attract more new users, and sell more new lenses with motor built in, even SR built in -- which means more $$ for camera makers. just to be honest, we have too many old lenses in hand, and probably won't be the customers paying most $ to pentax in the next 5 years.

plus, these extra functions make money for camera makers. Just like cars, luxury cars makes more $$ for the makers at both the selling price and service. And we will only see more and more features loaded in the car. The result? a way tooo complicated car that will not stop and will speed up by itself (you know what I am talking about), and no one can figure out why and how.

I even dreamed digital film that can be loaded on my K2 and MX, but I know it will never happen.
09-20-2015, 03:58 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
How about two bodies, first one with the 42MP for the landscape/studio crowd and the other with the 12MP high ISO high FPS etc for the sports/bird/moving insect crowd? They're making sure that 70-200 can refocus at 15FPS.... Dreams are good...
Of course there will be more then one camera, aiming at different niches and different price ranges.

09-20-2015, 04:57 AM   #35
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I saw this :

Pentax Full Frame DSLR Camera Delayed, Coming in Spring 2016

And the rumors said the upcoming Pentax Full Frame DSLR Camera will feature Sony a7RII’s 42.4MP Sensor. And it will be priced around $3,000.

Below is what the Tamron rep said:...
Either Tamron has sent a little brigade of sales reps to say to all the Americans who ever bought a Pentax camera same story, or the same rumour is being perpetrated all over and over again.

---------- Post added 09-20-2015 at 10:04 PM ----------

However, if that
1. constantly repeated rumour by a suspicious Tamron rep,
2. these few obscured pictures accompanied with
3. a half-year long postponement of the launch
4. and the possible PR in which many things will NOT be said but saved for later,

are a 'teaser', I do not get what are people supposed to do then.
To cheer? Roll down the street and kiss everyone in the cheek? Bake a cake?

Grow up Ricoh, you are a niche player, and these kind of stunts will make no dust raised, even if you accompany these 'teasers' and 'leaks' with an explosion of a very large conventional bomb.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-20-2015 at 05:07 AM.
09-20-2015, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Grow up Ricoh, you are a niche player, and these kind of stunts will make no dust raised,
Yet it got the upcoming Pentax camera mentioned in every photo web site from China to Seattle, and far beyond. All for free.

They've done this teaser stuff before too, with several camera models (including the 645Z), so they know it works. It's awkward from an impatient consumer perspective, but it's not marketing rocket science. Other brands do it too, for everything from cars to phones.
09-20-2015, 06:31 AM - 3 Likes   #37
Pentaxian

I still cant understand why you (you and other people) bother replying to Uluru...

09-20-2015, 06:52 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I still cant understand why you (you and other people) bother replying to Uluru...
Excellent advice!
09-27-2015, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #39
Banned

You don't need to. But since logic is not a strong part of PF, I am strongly advocating it. I know it is difficult remedy to swallow.

A "teaser with a black silhouette" to be introduce after the 3D model was shown, does not make any sense. "Obscure things even further", that is what it says. It is the inertia thinking. It is counterproductive in this stage! That image should have preceded a 3D model, and be shown in the summer of 2014, not in autumn of 2015!

So whoever works in Ricoh PR and did this does not think, nor a person in charge of the whole FF campaign does not think.
That is not a type of communication to be shown to users after the February 2014 promise and openness.

Or you may exercise logic on a following paradox: how did Ricoh lose 40-45% of Pentax users (or shrank its userbase) since its takeover if all they did was the best marketing approach ever? I complain in PF that Ricoh uses bad approaches because in the end, they indeed lose users because of actions they do. And you advocate .. not to reply on my remarks?

Good on you! "Ricoh must love you". But I write for the sake of Ricoh, not because I hate them. I wish them good health.

However, as you are not interested in logic, obviously, then not in finding out why bad things and bad PR continue to happen to Ricoh. Most folks of PF seem to be strangely oblivious to the fact Ricoh is inept to communicate with consumer market, it is the skill company never learnt, and Ricoh behaves in this market like an elephant in the flower shop. It must be corrected or they will lose even more users, and the badly designed FF campaign is on the good track to accomplish just that!

Last edited by Uluru; 09-27-2015 at 05:27 PM.
09-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Yep. He can join the other petulant ones on my ignore list. I'm tired of the constant negativity. There are ways to be critical of Ricoh that don't go where he goes. I hope a bunyip eats him and the last thing he sees is his consumption being recorded with the full-frame.
09-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Or you may exercise logic on a following paradox: how did Ricoh lose 40-45% of Pentax users (or shrank its userbase) since its takeover if all they did was the best marketing approach ever? I complain in PF that Ricoh uses bad approaches because in the end, they indeed lose users because of actions they do. And you advocate .. not to reply on my remarks?
Where do you get the data that support that Ricoh lost 40-45% of it's Pentax user base. Or do you make the bad assumption that lost market share = lost user base?
I don't think the user base changed much, but a lot of the Pentax users are content with what they have and don't buy much new equipment. This is what happen on a saturated market.
09-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
That is what they said: originally pentax planned to use 36 mp sensor, now wanted to use 42 mp

I want 24 mp! I don't need to print 5 ft, and I don't need intensive crop. If I do, I use APC camera. 42 MP sensor will show all the imperfects of old lenses.
Won't show those imperfections if you don't print at 5ft :-)
09-27-2015, 07:34 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jamey777 Quote
Won't show those imperfections if you don't print at 5ft :-)
True. But 42MP is not needed if you don't print at 5ft either. If higher resolution is not needed, I will be happier if I don't see them at all (or less). Too easy to click 100% view on computer although we all know it is not helpful.

But adding the unnecessary extra pixel (to me) will add a lot burden on my computer processor and hard drive.

Most important: fewer pixels means bigger pixel, if produced at same technology, it means better higher ISO performance. 42MP on FF sensor is about same size as 18-20mp on APS. unless a big step forward in the tech, otherwise we should expect similar low light performance as KS2 -- I want better on FF camera.
09-28-2015, 12:47 AM   #44
Pentaxian

A teaser with a darkened/partially obscured image after a 3D-printed mock-up makes sense. A lot of sense. Because that's not the final design (neither was the 3D-printed mock-up).
A clear image would be interpreted as "that's it. This is how it looks". But we're not there yet.

P.S. Uluru... logic? ROFLMAO
09-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #45
Inactive Account

yeah not really much logic in these ramblings. Just observe what happened over the last week:
Pentax posted the teaser website.
PF rumour section went nuts like it hasn't been for a long time. Every photography related website/forum posted an article or comment about it. Especially non pentax user sites are positively excited for the upcoming FF, mentioning the excellence of the recent K-5IIs, K-3 and especially 654z image and built quality.
Only one guy is painting black on every single thread and even the other forum.
Logic much?