Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rumors Flying! True of False?

Posted today at Canon Rumors, is yet ANOTHER Pentax FF rumor: They claim to have leaked specs, as well as the release date next week... (Oct. 6th?)

The rumors states that the camera will sport the Sony 36mp sensor.

Pentax Full Frame Camera Specs Leak

09-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

If the mount truly is KAF3 then it is a non-starter in my book. KAF3 means no autofocus with all my bellowed FA and FA* lenses!
09-18-2015, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Isn't this like listening to a rumor about Coke shared by Pepsi?
09-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Posted today at Canon Rumors, is yet ANOTHER Pentax FF rumor: They claim to have leaked specs, as well as the release date next week... (Oct. 6th?)

The rumors states that the camera will sport the Sony 36mp sensor.

Pentax Full Frame Camera Specs Leak
Did you see that the Canon Rumors post states it is based on a Photo Rumors post:

Rumored Pentax full frame DSLR camera specifications | Photo Rumors

which dates back to February 5th, 2015?

09-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Did you see that the Canon Rumors post states it is based on a Photo Rumors post:

Rumored Pentax full frame DSLR camera specifications | Photo Rumors

which dates back to February 5th, 2015?
LEL

Clickbait detected :P
09-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
phew!
09-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
If the mount truly is KAF3 then it is a non-starter in my book. KAF3 means no autofocus with all my bellowed FA and FA* lenses!
So I downloaded the front-on teaser image and ran it through two cycles of brightness and contrast reduction in Photoshop. Here's the result:

I mean, I wouldn't take it as conclusive evidence that it lacks a screw drive, but there seems to be no hole for a screw drive.

This, of course, assumes that it's a low-key image of an actual prototype or pre-production body. If it's a mock-up body for the photo shoot and the mock-up simply lacks a hole for the screw drive, then all is well.

But yes, no screw drive is probably a deal breaker for me, too. I am not about to reinvest in all new glass to regain AF capability. At that point, I might as well switch systems since the investment would be basically the same and all the other systems have a longer history or supporting FF in terms of lenses and equipment.

Edit:
Here is a similar process with the flange photo.

Edit 2:
It just occurred to me that the prototype was shown with an FA Limited 31mm lens at the unveiling earlier this year. I would hope that they don't, now, go back and release a body that doesn't fully support the lens they unveiled it with.

Last edited by K David; 09-18-2015 at 05:19 PM.
09-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
So I downloaded the front-on teaser image and ran it through two cycles of brightness and contrast reduction in Photoshop. Here's the result:

I mean, I wouldn't take it as conclusive evidence that it lacks a screw drive, but there seems to be no hole for a screw drive.

This, of course, assumes that it's a low-key image of an actual prototype or pre-production body. If it's a mock-up body for the photo shoot and the mock-up simply lacks a hole for the screw drive, then all is well.

But yes, no screw drive is probably a deal breaker for me, too. I am not about to reinvest in all new glass to regain AF capability. At that point, I might as well switch systems since the investment would be basically the same and all the other systems have a longer history or supporting FF in terms of lenses and equipment.

Edit:
Here is a similar process with the flange photo.

The original mock up was displayed with a FA 31mm LTD. Given that and their history of K mount compatibility, I find it highly unlikely they'd sell a digital FF body without a screw drive. Maybe they just didn't anticipate someone manipulating their teaser pic to reveal more than they chose to show? Or maybe it's just a mistake. They're certainly guilty of screwing up press photos in the past.
09-18-2015, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
It appears to lack an aperture actuator and power contacts as well. The images of the top of the prism housing also clearly show a cold flash shoe (no visible contacts).

Steve
09-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It appears to lack an aperture actuator and power contacts as well. The images of the top of the prism housing also clearly show a cold flash shoe (no visible contacts).

Steve
It also appears that is lacking of a mirror. so it could be a mirror less camera.... eeeehhh nop..

Thats just a teaser.. a simple teaser.. is not a final design with all the features and parts that the camera will have. For example not having the power contacts means throwing away a lot of lenses their own lenses.. and THAT is what is holding pentaxians from switching brands.. if they come out with a system that is not really compatible witht he current K lenses ( including the ones that use power contacts ) could be the biggest mistake with the release of this camera.
09-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, lets not forget their new FF lenses are designated as D FA lenses. Many of their D FA lenses of the past operate screw drive only. If they were to forgo the screw drive I'd think they'd come up with a new lens designation to match an entirely new and different digital FF body that lacked compatibility.
09-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
At least it is not going to be pink. With lots of blue LEDs.
09-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I find it highly unlikely they'd sell a digital FF body without a screw drive.
They could sell you a new and expensive mount adapter with AF support for your old screw drive lenses ...

But seriously, I also doubt Ricoh would be dumb enough to not offer screw drive support in their new K-mount 'flagship' (if it ever arrives).
09-18-2015, 05:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If there's no screw drive, none of the DA limited lenses will do much on the body. Then crop mode would be a total waste of money to put in there--you could use like 3 lenses with it! Since they've talked of crop mode, it would seem reasonable that they're not going to half support the DA lenses without screw drive.
09-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
If there's no screw drive, none of the DA limited lenses will do much on the body. Then crop mode would be a total waste of money to put in there
Two birds...one stone!

Steve