Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2015, 06:46 AM   #31
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Posted today at Canon Rumors, is yet ANOTHER Pentax FF rumor: They claim to have leaked specs, as well as the release date next week... (Oct. 6th?)

The rumors states that the camera will sport the Sony 36mp sensor.

Pentax Full Frame Camera Specs Leak
99% of specs are K-3's specs.

09-19-2015, 07:41 AM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 672 Quote
if it has a 36 megapixel sony sensor there are no K lenses made past or present that can maximize what the camera is capable of. read in other forums about the Nikon D800 and lack of really complementary lenses.

or our own 645D and Z . The old glass is just okay , until it is stopped down several stops. But the modern DFA glass is amazing.

this new FF camera will need new lenses period, otherwise just shoot the ol' 17x22mm format.
Absolutely true. I hate to shatter dreams, but if it uses a 36 or 42mp sensor, the 'old' lenses will have very poor corner performance - okay for the odd, dreamy, portrait but will be very disappointing for any landscape work (and no, pixel shifting, won't help)
09-19-2015, 07:54 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canuck_west Quote
if it uses a 36 or 42mp sensor, the 'old' lenses will have very poor corner performance
That will be news to those Sony A7R users who have mounted many an 'old' Pentax lenses on their 36MP camera, and reported good results ...
09-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Absolutely true. I hate to shatter dreams, but if it uses a 36 or 42mp sensor, the 'old' lenses will have very poor corner performance - okay for the odd, dreamy, portrait but will be very disappointing for any landscape work (and no, pixel shifting, won't help)
I addressed this recently. At least at the resolution level the existing Pentax cameras already have sensors that have smaller pixel sizes than any Full Frame with less than a 50mp sensor. The only possible areas of concern would be corner/border performance but given the Sony full frame results I expect no problems at all.

09-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Those pics are 3D rendered not photography of an actual product. Don't try to see anything they didn't intentionally put in it.
09-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #36

if it has a 36 megapixel sony sensor there are no K lenses made past or present that can maximize what the camera is capable of. read in other forums about the Nikon D800 and lack of really complementary lenses.

or our own 645D and Z . The old glass is just okay , until it is stopped down several stops. But the modern DFA glass is amazing.

this new FF camera will need new lenses period, otherwise just shoot the ol' 17x22mm format.
Yeah there will be moisture in the lenses and all the sensors will be full of dead pixels! Ear me fellow pentaxians the dark days are coming, everything will be spoiled til the end of time muwahahahaha
Seriously why always trying to annouce the worth ? I hope they will find a way to make good camera with good lenses and as we could see in the users' reviews somme lenses are good or not so good but everything works not so bad in the end don't you think ?
09-19-2015, 11:25 AM   #37
Pentaxian

When, "just for kicks", I mounted the 50mm kit lens from my 1984 Pentax Super Program on my "new" Pentax K-3o, I was amazed how sharp that lens is. I had assumed that the superiority of my new digital images over my old Kodachrome 25 slides was a result of the lenses I was using back then, but I have had to rethink my understanding of how the sharpest slide film compared to even pedestrian sensors today. I would not be surprised if 30-year-old lenses are just fine for the newest camera - if you're taking landscape type pictures, the DOF I've experienced with that lens means that manual focusing may not even be much of an issue.

09-19-2015, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I think they could probably do a lot to make it quieter. But I really like it because it makes all the lenses so much lighter. I guess the 20-40 shows us that is possible to be compact with an internal motor, but I worry we're going to end like Canon where seemingly every lens has a 77+ mm filter and weighs about 2 lbs. (Ok, exaggeration, their primes aren't that big. But they're not 49mm threads either. It's really something when the 58mm of the FA31 is your fatman.)
I one of the weddings I shot this summer had a videographer shooting on Canons. She was amazed by how cute and tiny my 31 was (she was using a 35 for her video). She just about died when I got the 43 out. If only I had the pancake 40.
09-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #39
Banned

Makes sense. All very well planned ahead.

1. in the beginning of 2015 say the end of 2015 is market release
2. many give up, drop their old lenses and buy Nikons and Canons. "Pentax, you take, like, forever" they say.
3. in September/October tell again the market release is in spring of 2016. "Pentax, goodbye forever, you lousy slouch", they say.
4. then the majority of the remaining users, who waited 15 years with their old lenses, will give up.

Mission accomplished!

5. all is ready for the clean slate FF, that crops support for the old lenses; this is a new definition of the "crop mode".
6. Ricoh announces plethora of new lenses especially made for the new FF.

Last edited by Uluru; 09-19-2015 at 11:35 PM.
09-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #40
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I one of the weddings I shot this summer had a videographer shooting on Canons. She was amazed by how cute and tiny my 31 was (she was using a 35 for her video). She just about died when I got the 43 out. If only I had the pancake 40.
That has happened because the videographer has never been a photographer, most likely never touched a film camera by Canon of seen any of Canon's lens issued before 1995.
09-20-2015, 03:06 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
That has happened because the videographer has never been a photographer, most likely never touched a film camera by Canon of seen any of Canon's lens issued before 1995.
That's a bit of an assumption!
09-20-2015, 03:49 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How do sensors degrade lens performance? Answer: They don't. Even poor lenses wont loose performance when combined with a high resolution camera, in stead of a low resolution camera. Lens performance stays the same, regardless of what camera sits behind it.

Assume you have two identical poor lenses sitting on a high resolution camera and a low resolution camera. You see a rare bird and takes identical photos of it, at the same time and distance with both cameras with the same settings. Assume you didn't have as much focal length as you wanted. Would you crop those images different? Why? What image would you guess looked best if you cropped them the same way?
09-20-2015, 04:07 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Lens performance stays the same, but the result is better with a higher resolution sensor. At most one could claim there's no visible improvement, but a decrease? No way.

People who claim "very poor corner performance" with high resolution sensors are talking about what's visible when pixel peeping, ignoring the fact that doing it for a 36 or 42MP image corresponds to a much higher image magnification.
09-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
lenses

Lenses that looked great on my K1000 and MZ-S also looked great on my *istD. However lenses that looked good on my 20D and 5D (classic) looked terrible on my 1ds mark 3. Lenses that looked good on my 67ll bodies looked not so great on my 645D.

As Ive said earlier, the current and past K lenses will look good stopped three stops down on the new FF body and whatever pentax makes to match the new high megapixel body will look amazing near to wide open. I am not talking about "corner vignetting" I am talking about a 24x36mm sensor that will make "limiteds" look like a dirty old window is between the sensor and your subject……….

But hey don't take my word for it, try your own tests, I did and spent countless hours and $$$ trying to make old lenses look amazing on modern hi rez digital sensors and it doesn't work, period.
09-21-2015, 11:55 PM   #45

That's interesting. Omg, my fa 35mm is going to look average then????
Lenses that looked great on my K1000 and MZ-S also looked great on my *istD. However lenses that looked good on my 20D and 5D (classic) looked terrible on my 1ds mark 3. Lenses that looked good on my 67ll bodies looked not so great on my 645D.

As Ive said earlier, the current and past K lenses will look good stopped three stops down on the new FF body and whatever pentax makes to match the new high megapixel body will look amazing near to wide open. I am not talking about "corner vignetting" I am talking about a 24x36mm sensor that will make "limiteds" look like a dirty old window is between the sensor and your subject……….

But hey don't take my word for it, try your own tests, I did and spent countless hours and $$$ trying to make old lenses look amazing on modern hi rez digital sensors and it doesn't work, period.