Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #166
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn;3381342Lackluster review at [url=http://www.lenstip.com/index.html?test=obiektywu&test_ob=340:
Tamron SP 24-70 mm f/2.8 Di VC USD review - Introduction - LensTip.com[/url]
And very good reviews on Photozone, DPReview and ePhotozine ('Highly recommended').

09-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #167
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
And very good reviews on Photozone, DPReview and ePhotozine ('Highly recommended').
Video reviews on Youtube consider it very close to the Canon 24-70 L, at the time the reviews were being done it was close to half the price...
09-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I for one will be waiting to see if those dreaded letters SDM will mean failure after failure. Is it really a Tamron motor system or did Ricoh find it in their parts bin and go oh look everyone we've got a motor system already so let's use it with someone else's lens design?
My trust of those letters rates this lens a big fat zero right from the start. Until proved trust worthy I will not be going anywhere near this lens. Good luck to all the first takers!
09-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
I for one will be waiting to see if those dreaded letters SDM will mean failure after failure. Is it really a Tamron motor system or did Ricoh find it in their parts bin and go oh look everyone we've got a motor system already so let's use it with someone else's lens design?
My trust of those letters rates this lens a big fat zero right from the start. Until proved trust worthy I will not be going anywhere near this lens. Good luck to all the first takers!
A bit scared, are we? The Tamron 24-70 has been out and in use for years, and there are no reports of an AF drive debacle. The fact that Pentax calls it SDM, and there used to be an issue (emphasis on 'used to', because as far as I know there have been no issues with lenses produced post-2012) with SDM, doesn't mean this one will have issues. It's something entirely different. Not Pentax SDM, not related to the series of failures you seem to have been scarred by.

09-24-2015, 02:01 PM   #170
Pentaxian

The lenses are made in a Tamron factory where there are no Pentax parts bins.
09-24-2015, 02:07 PM   #171
Veteran Member

I know that's probably true but still cannot get myself to part with hard earned money on something where the association is that bad. Not yet anyway.
09-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #172
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
All hybrid.
"Three glass-molded aspherical lenses are used"

From: 08 WIDE ZOOM / High-Performance Lenses / Q-mount Lenses / Lenses / Products | RICOH IMAGING
09-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #173
Pentaxian

You'll have to wait for spring anyway unless you want to use it on aps-c

09-24-2015, 02:17 PM   #174
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I stand corrected on the Q lens (which I wasn't familiar with), but the DA 21 Limited is Hybrid.
09-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
You'll have to wait for spring anyway unless you want to use it on aps-c

Correct...

Hopefully early takers will prove the SDM system to be reliable.
09-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #176
Pentaxian

I know that's probably true but still cannot get myself to part with hard earned money on something where the association is that bad. Not yet anyway.
Come on: the green ring, rebadging, "SDM", fancy new sticker prices - the good old days are here again! Seriously, this looks a perfectly decent lens that's been generally warmly received in its Tamron colours, not the very very best out there but pretty darn decent and the price will likely reflect that. If I were buying I'd be more concerned about being sure it had robust build quality, this being a workhorse item which would get a lot of use. I agree, though, that using "SDM" in connection with anything like this is a bit unfortunate.
09-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
99% of all landscape images are made at focal lengths at 24mm and longer (for FF). Longer close focusing distances, more prone to flare and (possibly) difficulty in using filters (particularly split nd) than most other lenses, is making it something landscape shooters will avoid.

---------- Post added 09-24-15 at 10:35 PM ----------

I guess even more swear at it...
It is clearly a tool for photojournalists in tight places....
It is interesting how you state opinion as fact.
For example: "It is clearly a tool for photojournalists in tight places..."
https://www.flickr.com/groups/nikkor1424/pool/
Clearly, you have a misunderstanding of the usage of that lens because the vast majority of those shots are landscape shots and not photojournalistic shots.
09-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter

Optically I have no issue with a Tamron designed lens. My concern is build quality and quality control.
09-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #179
Veteran Member

Many people shoot with the tamron 17-50s and 24-70s, and most of them are very happy. I think it's a good news and this lens will be a step-up in optical quality from the 16-50.
09-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #180
Pentaxian

Announced:

HD Pentax-D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Announced - Pentax Announcements - PentaxForums.com

Ricoh announces 24-70mm F2.8 for upcoming full-frame Pentax DSLR - Digital Photography Review

---------- Post added 09-25-2015 at 12:19 AM ----------

kenspo, you should have been listening to us

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Friday 12:00 Paris time. New FF lense!
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm puzzled by the launch date, and the launch location/time (Paris).

Seems disconnected from everything else FF related.
(...) Time for Paris is because Of the releasetime In Japan.
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
12 is noon right not midnight.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
And 7pm in Tokyo, which is odd for an announcement, in particular on a Friday.

Regular Ricoh announcement take place at 7am Tokyo time / 12am Paris time. I don't see why this one should be an exception.
Oh well..i read the press release that they have made ready for friday. The times are correct.
or again

You'll see in 24 hours!
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I'm afraid I will and sooner than that.