Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 08:05 AM   #211

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It's not like Pentax recently made a DFA 150-450 and is also bringing out a DFA*70-200, both of which are Pentax lenses and Pentax designs. And it's not like the 150-450 is pretty universally praised.

Such a horrendous tragedy.
One mistake is easier to remember than ten successes.

On other forums, you already had comment before that, asking for each new lens if it were tamron rebadges... When all pentax did what rebadge superzoom nobody cared about.

09-25-2015, 08:08 AM   #212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh dear. Now THAT would be a tragedy.
Nah. A real tragedy would be his mother killing his father to marry his uncle. Then killing his uncle after his girlfriend suicides, his mother accidentally poisons herself and he is mortally wounded...
09-25-2015, 08:12 AM - 2 Likes   #213
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Nah. A real tragedy would be his mother killing his father to marry his uncle. Then killing his uncle after his girlfriend suicides, his mother accidentally poisons herself and he is mortally wounded...
I think I know that family. They are living just south of me in Kentucky.
09-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes real life is stranger than . . . well it might not be fiction. My family line has six generations in Kentucky . . . . .

My daughter's beau was once married to a woman who left him for another woman,
who had once been a man but self-altered his gender assignment
but s/he hasn't had the surgery yet
so though they live as woman and wife they practice as
well, I think you get the picture.
Or maybe you don't - because I'm not sure I do.

Which is all fine with me, right? But is there maybe something in Milton for that? Or maybe one of the Comedies?

09-25-2015, 08:44 AM   #215

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
The tamron ultrasonic is a ring motor system. It is as reliable as canon or nikon systems
I wouldn't say that Tamron's ultrasonic AF is as precise or reliable as Nikon's SWM or Canon's USM. It's about on par with Sigma's HSM, which is to say, it's hit-or-miss at times, but generally very good.

I haven't yet tested Pentax' SDM AF, I've only ever used DC lenses I think.

However, it seems to me that Pentax is doing a bit more with this lens, hopefully. For example if they're putting the WR badge on it, they might just be weather sealing the lens a bit more than Tamron did originally.

All in all, I would expect it to be BETTER sealed than a Canikon lens, but only 75-90% as good at AF. For most, that's 100% as good as they'll ever need, of course.

Personally, I'm very excited. The optics of the existing Tamron are definitely good enough for crucial work, even at 2.8, and if the Tamron 15-30 is also in the pipeline for Pentax, that's even better news for me as an astro-landscape photographer. Now I have the 15-30 2.8 when I need zoom range but don't mind the 2+LB weight, or the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 in K-mount when I need ultrawide but without breaking my back. Yay! Now if only Pentax can do a 24 1.4 FA WR, or a ~21 1.8 FA Limited, I'd be in full-frame astro-landscape heaven...

=Matt=
09-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #216
Veteran Member

Yea, i am optimistic about Pentax full frame...
When the camera is released, they will have the 3 workhorse zooms (24-70, 70-200, 150-450) and a handful of primes at key focal lengths already in production (3 limiteds, 35mm, 50mm f1.4, 50 and 100mm Macros). It isn't a stretch to think that they will release a wide zoom and do some updates to their existing primes (HD update, quickshift etc). I am not even counting the primes that are designated DA* but have a fullframe imaging circles.

That is a pretty darn full lineup on day 1
09-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #217
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
I wouldn't say that Tamron's ultrasonic AF is as precise or reliable as Nikon's SWM or Canon's USM. It's about on par with Sigma's HSM, which is to say, it's hit-or-miss at times, but generally very good.

I haven't yet tested Pentax' SDM AF, I've only ever used DC lenses I think.

=Matt=
Back when a Canon Rebel was my primary camera (way back in May of this year), I had a Tamron lens, a Sigma lens, and several Canon lenses. Perhaps the body makes a difference, but I never noticed a difference between the Tamron and Canon lenses in their focusing. My experience leaves me no reason to be concerned about how this lens will perform.

09-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #218
Pentaxian

You should stop taking pictures; instead, put on the lens caps and measure how long for the lens to travel their full range. Now, that's a relevant test!
09-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
You should stop taking pictures; instead, put on the lens caps and measure how long for the lens to travel their full range. Now, that's a relevant test!
Whilst facing a brick wall?
09-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #220
Pentaxian

No, the brick wall is a so-called "real-world testing" as it accurately depicts the rendering of 3D subjects
09-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #221
Veteran Member

I know it is fashionable to make fun of these types of test, which should be taken with a grain of salt. But i take them more seriously than statements such as "it has 3d rendering...it isnt very sharp wide open but it has pixie dust...it is has excellent microcontrast....etc".
09-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #222

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Back when a Canon Rebel was my primary camera (way back in May of this year), I had a Tamron lens, a Sigma lens, and several Canon lenses. Perhaps the body makes a difference, but I never noticed a difference between the Tamron and Canon lenses in their focusing. My experience leaves me no reason to be concerned about how this lens will perform.
Unfortunately yes, a Rebel will be the limiting factor in AF performance, for sure. A flagship camera is required, as well as some pretty demanding conditions, to see a difference that makes buying one or the other actually worth it.

In other words, if you're going to be shooting similar subjects and environments, then there's a good chance you shouldn't need to worry about how the lens will perform.

Considering that Pentax AF overall may not reach the level of a Canon 1DX or Nikon D4s, I'd say the point is indeed moot anyways. But if Pentax is actively working on improving their SDM autofocus, (and if they're not just collaborating / sharing that AF tech with Tamron) ...there is a small chance that in the future it could make a noticeable difference.
09-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I know it is fashionable to make fun of these types of test, which should be taken with a grain of salt. But i take them more seriously than statements such as "it has 3d rendering...it isnt very sharp wide open but it has pixie dust...it is has excellent microcontrast....etc".
Unfortunately, I have a high blood pressure requiring to control my salt intake
09-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #224
Veteran Member

Well you would fit in nicely with us Amercans then
09-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #225
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's OK, I have low blood pressure and my cardiologist recommended increasing my salt intake so I'll take yours.