Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #226

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Back when a Canon Rebel was my primary camera (way back in May of this year), I had a Tamron lens, a Sigma lens, and several Canon lenses. Perhaps the body makes a difference, but I never noticed a difference between the Tamron and Canon lenses in their focusing. My experience leaves me no reason to be concerned about how this lens will perform.
Unfortunately yes, a Rebel will be the limiting factor in AF performance, for sure. A flagship camera is required, as well as some pretty demanding conditions, to see a difference that makes buying one or the other actually worth it.

In other words, if you're going to be shooting similar subjects and environments, then there's a good chance you shouldn't need to worry about how the lens will perform.

Considering that Pentax AF overall may not reach the level of a Canon 1DX or Nikon D4s, I'd say the point is indeed moot anyways. But if Pentax is actively working on improving their SDM autofocus, (and if they're not just collaborating / sharing that AF tech with Tamron) ...there is a small chance that in the future it could make a noticeable difference.

09-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I know it is fashionable to make fun of these types of test, which should be taken with a grain of salt. But i take them more seriously than statements such as "it has 3d rendering...it isnt very sharp wide open but it has pixie dust...it is has excellent microcontrast....etc".
Unfortunately, I have a high blood pressure requiring to control my salt intake
09-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well you would fit in nicely with us Amercans then
09-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #229

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's OK, I have low blood pressure and my cardiologist recommended increasing my salt intake so I'll take yours.

09-25-2015, 02:21 PM   #230
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
Unfortunately yes, a Rebel will be the limiting factor in AF performance, for sure. A flagship camera is required, as well as some pretty demanding conditions, to see a difference that makes buying one or the other actually worth it.

In other words, if you're going to be shooting similar subjects and environments, then there's a good chance you shouldn't need to worry about how the lens will perform.

Considering that Pentax AF overall may not reach the level of a Canon 1DX or Nikon D4s, I'd say the point is indeed moot anyways. But if Pentax is actively working on improving their SDM autofocus, (and if they're not just collaborating / sharing that AF tech with Tamron) ...there is a small chance that in the future it could make a noticeable difference.
So, is there a practical reason for needing that level of performance? I got every picture I ever tried, including pictures of trains moving at 50mph; every picture focused quickly and correctly. I'm not sure what more I could want.
09-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #231

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, is there a practical reason for needing that level of performance? I got every picture I ever tried, including pictures of trains moving at 50mph; every picture focused quickly and correctly. I'm not sure what more I could want.
I wouldn't call some of the stuff I do "practical", maybe more along the lines of weird / envelope-pushing, (see my other post in the thread about FF) ...but yes, sometimes it is highly welcome, if not needed...

Otherwise, all telephoto sports shooters willing to use a crop-sensor would have jumped ship from Canon and Nikon to the K-3 / K-3 II, IMO, as it's a far superior camera in almost every other way to the Nikon 7xxx series and Canon 7-series.
09-25-2015, 04:19 PM   #232
Pentaxian

I wouldn't call some of the stuff I do "practical", maybe more along the lines of weird / envelope-pushing, (see my other post in the thread about FF) ...but yes, sometimes it is highly welcome, if not needed...

Otherwise, all telephoto sports shooters willing to use a crop-sensor would have jumped ship from Canon and Nikon to the K-3 / K-3 II, IMO, as it's a far superior camera in almost every other way to the Nikon 7xxx series and Canon 7-series.
And, of course, this lens is definitely not telephoto. It appears to me that Pentax has chosen not to compete in the sports arena (if you'll pardon my pun) - that they're more interested in those shooting landscape and related areas (although I guess that would include you). They may feel that they need to concentrate on certain niches, and leave other areas to those with greater resources. I don't know whether their focusing "issues" are in the camera or the lens - although I hope they do.
09-25-2015, 04:40 PM   #233
Pentaxian

Otherwise, all telephoto sports shooters willing to use a crop-sensor would have jumped ship from Canon and Nikon to the K-3 / K-3 II, IMO, as it's a far superior camera in almost every other way to the Nikon 7xxx series ...
Hardly. The Nikon D7xxx series have marginally better image quality (dynamic range and high ISO) compared to the Pentax Kx series, and definitely a better AF module, especially for AF.C. The K3 (II) has its strength, but it is hardly 'far superior' to the Nikon D7100/D7200.

09-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #234
Veteran Member

I've used a 7100, and the 7100 has worse ergonomics, a pathetic raw buffer, and it feels like a hunk of plastic compared to my k5. The af module is pretty advanced, but other than tracking focus, I didn't notice that much difference. Granted this was with a sigma 150-500mm and so YMMV with a ultra fast 1st party lens like a nikon 70-200mm
09-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #235
Veteran Member

Never used a 7100.

The D7000 was much better at AF than my K-5. The K-5 was better at all other respects.
09-29-2015, 12:13 PM   #236
Pentaxian

I think it's pretty much decided, if AF is your only consideration, a Nikon D7xxx series or D750 is your way to go. For many of us, the picture we get is more important than how fast the camera focussed, so Pentax will do. It's just a question of do you really want to change systems every time one system is marginally better than another at something. It has to be a pretty major difference before it's worth the cost of changing brands.

It's been demonstrated how much better the D750 is than an K-3 for tracking a subject coming towards you at high speed. The only images I've taken like that in the last 2 years were test images for that thread. Honestly, I'm not switching for that. And similarly, if I owned that system, I can't think of anything that would inspire me to switch to Pentax. The simple fact is, there are a lot of cameras out there that do pretty much the same thing.

All the lenses that made me stay with Pentax when i went digital, my ex took with her after the divorce. Life is cruel.
09-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote

All the lenses that made me stay with Pentax when i went digital, my ex took with her after the divorce. Life is cruel.
Marriage is grand...
Divorce is a hundred grand.
09-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #238

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Hardly. The Nikon D7xxx series have marginally better image quality (dynamic range and high ISO) compared to the Pentax Kx series, and definitely a better AF module, especially for AF.C. The K3 (II) has its strength, but it is hardly 'far superior' to the Nikon D7100/D7200.
Hence, my use of the phrasing "in almost every way"

Aside from the marginal difference in image quality, (same sensor source, sorta) and the debatable superiority of Nikon's general interface / customizability, physically speaking the K-3 II is a more robust, flagship-like camera than the Nikon by a long shot, and the 7D mk2 by enough of a margin that anybody not highly concerned about AF or an existing stable of lenses should find the decision to still be an easy one.

Some of that is fact, some of it is opinion, but either way my original point was actually just that these differences aren't significant enough to be noticed by the average shooter. You've got to be quite an envelope-pusher for the differences to sway you towards any one camera or another.

=Matt=
09-30-2015, 01:14 AM   #239
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Aside from the marginal difference in image quality, (same sensor source, sorta) and the debatable superiority of Nikon's general interface / customizability, physically speaking the K-3 II is a more robust, flagship-like camera than the Nikon by a long shot, and the 7D mk2 by enough of a margin that anybody not highly concerned about AF or an existing stable of lenses should find the decision to still be an easy one.
Nikon's interface superiority?
I dunno about their high end cams but D3xxx to D7000 (7100/7200 I dunno), their interface laughable, badly designed and without any apparent logic (to me).
Yes is this strongly subjective

I hope (for the owners) their D700+ cams are better thought.
09-30-2015, 01:57 AM   #240
Site Supporter

I would rather speek about general ergonomy, than interface.
Simple and efficient versus complex and sometimes innapropriate...